Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Iced Clouds?

These clouds, flying over Norway, pretty much look like the icy windshield effect run amok in the clouds.  I don't see this bad this often, but wondering if this is by design or an artifact.  I hope it's an artifact that will resolve w/ DX-12 implementation:

Ice-Clouds.png

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

These are the pixelated clouds that have been an issue since a few updates ago.   I don’t think there is a fix but hopefully it will be resolved in the near future.  They are horrible looking

• Like 2

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

yea same here they look horrible.  Thing is they don't always look that bad for me anyway, sometimes the clouds look like I could reach out and touch them.  Other times just like your screenshot!

Thomas Derbyshire

I've read somewhere DX-12 will change this, but again I kind of wonder if this is from flying thru very cold conditions.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I've had this issue myself until I read a post somewhere of a possible fix, in the UserCfg.opt file from the sims main directory there is a line for Sharpen, change the value from 1 to 0 and if you have an Nvidia card, in the Nvidia control panel make sure Image sharpening is off.

Made a huge difference bringing my clouds back smoother.

Same for me. I thought about a blur problem, but it comes from the sim. We have to wait for a update.

Banner-FS2-Crew-Beta-Tester.jpg

t-l-chargement

On 11/22/2020 at 9:50 AM, Blueman35 said:

I've had this issue myself until I read a post somewhere of a possible fix, in the UserCfg.opt file from the sims main directory there is a line for Sharpen, change the value from 1 to 0 and if you have an Nvidia card, in the Nvidia control panel make sure Image sharpening is off.

Made a huge difference bringing my clouds back smoother.

It seems to yes, but then I notice the rest of the sim def looks softer/blurryish, so went back to 1.  

Noel

18 hours ago, Noel said:

It seems to yes, but then I notice the rest of the sim def looks softer/blurryish, so went back to 1.  

I wear glasses so my world always looks softer and blurryish.  So it looks fine to me....(grin)  I prefer sharpen off to sharpen on, that's for sure.

19 hours ago, Noel said:

In my first reply I mentioned turning off sharpening within Nvidia control panel, however sharpening switched on is not as invasive as the sharpening in game, so you could try sharpening on in Nvidia control panel and set sim sharpen to 0, however I have both off and don't see any detrimental effect to any other textures, I do run 4k so looks crisper anyway.........Glad it works for some though

18 minutes ago, Blueman35 said:

In my first reply I mentioned turning off sharpening within Nvidia control panel, however sharpening switched on is not as invasive as the sharpening in game, so you could try sharpening on in Nvidia control panel and set sim sharpen to 0, however I have both off and don't see any detrimental effect to any other textures, I do run 4k so looks crisper anyway.........Glad it works for some though

Yep turning all the sharpening off in a lower resolution probably wont look that great (1440p). You probably will be able to get away with it at 4k but i would venture to think that someone may want to leave the nvidia sharpening on if they are at 1440p or below. 

In my case i really dont want to mess with a config file so i have decided to live with it. But if i really wanted to try to fix this i would probably turn the Sim sharpening off through the config. Make sure the nvidia sharpening is on and evaluate. My monitor also has a "super resolution" option that adds sharpening and definition so i would play with that as well. Initially i had that feature on my monitor set to low and everything was super crisp and detailed when the sim was released. Then Asobo updated the clouds and while the scenery looked awesome the clouds were looking just like the OP and in some cases worse. Had to turn the monitor feature off.

Im hoping Asobo puts some work into this. For now its passable but its an obvious degradation.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders