Sign in to follow this  
Cognita

CRJ!

On 12/3/2020 at 3:46 AM, Chock said:

It's a completely new version. From the ground up. They have stated this and even if they hadn't you can tell it is when you look at the screenshots. Obviously the underlying stuff has to be new too, because it is utilising a completely different sim's mechanics.

Note:  I've edited this to avoid leaving incorrect information up based on Chock's reply below.  Even if Aerosoft has re-written large parts of the CRJ for MSFS, as of the 0.8.0 SDK the comments on the SimVars below are correct.  Especially the note in the SDK that says "we have not tested the SimVars in detail", which means they have no unit tests for the API to avoid breaking them in the future.

I'm not sure why people think that MSFS is some completely new and different thing.

The SimVars in the core engine exposed to the WASM API are pretty much the same as the FSX or P3D SimVars that were exposed to C++ .dlls.  (Except Asobo hasn't verified that they all actually work - because they have bolted the FSX code onto a new graphics engine without checking it all - so it's up to each aircraft developer to verify the variables they read/set are working properly, which is super dumb and one of the biggest holes in the SDK right now.)

The WASM API was implemented specifically to allow for easier porting of C++ code which was previously in .dlls.  There is even a post on the Aerosoft forum about how they have private C++ code for a corporate customer which runs pretty much 1:1 in MSFS vs P3D.

It's very much FSX inside in terms of the variables third party code can interact with, with a few things missing or changed where Asobo has ripped out parts of the old code and replaced them or broken them.  (Like many of the SimVars for querying the in-sim weather in detail are INOP for now due to the live weather system replacing the FSX weather system.)

I suspect (but have no evidence to confirm) that the majority of the issues we are seeing "old school" third party developers talk about in terms of things being "missing" or the time Asobo is spending going back and forth getting the CRJ working is fixing SimVars that were borked when the sim engine was grafted onto the graphics engine, and no one has used those variables for anything yet, so they have to debug each one and get it working again.

This also creates problems in the future because if Asobo goes into the engine and replaces more sections of FSX code with their own, it can break things that were previously working on third party aircraft - but since Asobo never had a comprehensive unit test suite for all the SimVars in the first place - they state this in the current SDK documentation - the only way to know something broke is when the third party aircraft start breaking. 

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

I expect that data on PFD/MFD will be difficult to read because of the small fonts. I have this problem with Cessna Citation CJ4 with my 4K 28" monitor.

Why should they make entire new code if the one from FSX/P3D is working and simulating the aircraft as realistic as they strive to ?

I´m sure that most, if not all, modelling and texturing is from the ground up. Same with the FDE.

Most probably  alot of the code that is in the older PMDG 737NGX has been "ported" over to the newer versions.

Why start from scratch, if the previous code is generally ok and only needs some added features, enhancements and partly re-coding of areas that has been found to be wrong or simplified in the older code.

Coding from scratch would be like re-inventing the wheel.

• Upvote 1

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

2 hours ago, Wothan said:

Why should they make entire new code if the one from FSX/P3D is working and simulating the aircraft as realistic as they strive to ?

Edit:  This was incorrect.  Removing it.

Edited by marsman2020

Aerosoft gave Asobo the code for their new CRJ as a guide to Asobo so they would know what to implement in the sim and SDK.

From Mathijs Kok:

'As you probably know we have given Asobo most of our code so they knew what was needed'

'And to be clear, this is a full MFS model, not a port from P3D.....'

'almost all code is new. All modeling will be new, flight models are totally new etc'

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Aerosoft gave Asobo the code for their new CRJ as a guide to Asobo so they would know what to implement in the sim and SDK.

From Mathijs Kok:

'As you probably know we have given Asobo most of our code so they knew what was needed'

'And to be clear, this is a full MFS model, not a port from P3D.....'

'almost all code is new. All modeling will be new, flight models are totally new etc'

Touche.  I edited my post.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1