Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

DO NOT run Steam integrity check

I had the brilliant idea to run the Steam integrity check, which usually (for other games) takes a few minutes and redownloads any corrupted files.

I know, everybody has the same issues with the current build and it was naïve of me to think it could resolve anything, however I thought "what do I have to lose"? After all it's a procedure well contemplated by Zendesk itself: How to repair, remove and do a clean install of Microsoft Flight Simulator on Steam – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

What they don't say however, is that, even if the integrity check does not find any corrupted file, MSFS will redownload all of the packages. Yes, I am currently redownloading 105 GB of data after an integrity check reporting that all files were OK 🤦‍♂️

Googling the topic I found other people victim of the same bug. Checking the integrity is substantially equivalent to uninstalling the game completely.

The purpose of this post is not to argue and bash MS/Asobo, just to warn other users.

Cheers

• Like 5

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

6 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Googling the topic I found other people victim of the same bug. Checking the integrity is substantially equivalent to uninstalling the game completely.

That's e.g. me. Did it once, that was enough. I don't get why this can't be remedied.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I also suffered this, instead of redownload IMG I managed to restore all the packages from my backup copy.

On the other hand I downloaded an update and it was hosed, not correct at all. Sometimes the update can download corrupted, it did for me on the  last update.

Then I started the integrity check and stopped it after after like 5 seconds. That was enough to cause the update to download again, this time correctly, but the other files did not download, just the update. So I now believe (maybe falsely) that a quick 5 second integrity check will cause the update to redo itself. Without this trick, I did not know how to force the update to install again. I can't swear this always works, I did it as a last resort.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

3 minutes ago, Fielder said:

On the other hand I downloaded an update and it was hosed, not correct at all. Sometimes the update can download corrupted, it did for me on the  last update.

Then I started the integrity check and stopped it after after like 5 seconds. That was enough to cause the update to download again, this time correctly, but the other files did not download, just the update. So I now believe (maybe falsely) that a quick 5 second integrity check will cause the update to redo itself. Without this trick, I did not know how to force the update to install again. I can't swear this always works, I did it as a last resort.

I don't know, you were probably just lucky: you are not supposed to interrupt the integrity check manually.

Maybe in your case there was actually a corrupted file and the integrity check focused on that one, while in case all the files are OK it wipes them all away. Computer logics 🙂

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

3 hours ago, Steku said:

I also suffered this, instead of redownload IMG I managed to restore all the packages from my backup copy.

I tried that when it happened to me and it refused to see the backed up files I restored, had to re download the whole thing again. I almost said screw it.

4 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

I had the brilliant idea to run the Steam integrity check, which usually (for other games) takes a few minutes and redownloads any corrupted files.

I know, everybody has the same issues with the current build and it was naïve of me to think it could resolve anything, however I thought "what do I have to lose"? After all it's a procedure well contemplated by Zendesk itself: How to repair, remove and do a clean install of Microsoft Flight Simulator on Steam – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

What they don't say however, is that, even if the integrity check does not find any corrupted file, MSFS will redownload all of the packages. Yes, I am currently redownloading 105 GB of data after an integrity check reporting that all files were OK 🤦‍♂️

The purpose of this post is not to argue and bash MS/Asobo, just to warn other users.

Cheers

I think the phrase "look before you leap", rather apt in this instance. 😜

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!