Sign in to follow this  
planesteff

Add-on Scenery Fix for FSX Available

Guest Hal9000 from MSFT

Just a quick note to let you know that we've fixed an issue in FSX that caused display problems with certain scenery add-ons that use large photo-real textures. The downloads for each language are live on the FSInsider site:http://www.fsinsider.com/Downloads/Those of you that develop these packages will hopefully help us spread the word to your customers. Thanks -Hal

Guest yarvelling

Thanks for this quick update Hal... :)

Thank you Hal! :)I made a mistake and posted a new topic about this something's wrong with my fourm settings, its not showing all the latest posts.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Guest Elvi5

Thanks Hal.This fixes the aerial photo terrain incase anyone isn't sure.Is there any chance of fixing the vastly more important Airport Ground Polygons anytime soon? There's not going to be any decent airport scenery if it remains in the current state.Thanks,g.grimshawflytampa

So its the ground polygons that are killing the performance ??

Guest Elvi5

No. Ground Polys don't hurt the performance because they don't even work.I agree with you though. Performance is very disappointing. I doubt they can fix it without re-writing a massive chunk of the Terrain & GFX engine.

> No. Ground Polys don't hurt the performance because they don't even work.So why is it a vastly bigger issue? Has this got to do with the round earth model?

Guest allcott

So does this mean the old FS9 photoscenery areas that were supposed to be included in FSX can now be reinstated? If so, are they on the original DVD's and just not called at installation, pending this fix?And thanks for the patch. That's a precedent set for MS sims IIRC.Allcott

>So why is it a vastly bigger issue? Has this got to do with>the round earth model? Whatever it is a vastly bigger issue depends on the point of view. For "VFR Photoscenery" Addons such as the MegaScenery series, the patch that was just released is very important, vital in fact. For FSX airport Addons and their ground details (runways, markings etc) there are other issues not related to this patch.

>So does this mean the old FS9 photoscenery areas that were>supposed to be included in FSX can now be reinstated? If so,>are they on the original DVD's and just not called at>installation, pending this fix?>Good point.

Allcott,The patch Hal just announced only affects photo scenery designed for FSX. FS9 photo scenery is not affected. You should be able to use FS9 photo scenery with FSX regardless of whether or not you install the patch. The reason FSX doesn't include any of the FS9 default photo scenery is because it is of such low resolution (5 meters per pixel) that it doesn't really look that good anymore. The three photo scenery areas included in FSX (St. Maarten, Las Vegas, Giza) are all brand new and were authored at 1 meter per pixel.-Adam

It certainly helps the Horizon Simulations 1m textures for England and Wales. Thank you Aces.George

Guest Logan826

This is kind of trival. What about fixing all of the base program problems with FSX first before fixing a problem with add-ons ?

Sounds like perhaps it was low hanging fruit. Why make easy fixes wait for the harder/bigger ones? I'm not affected by this one but I'm encouraged by the precedent...

ugcx_banner.png