Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

Another major milestone on the way...FSX on Vista

Guest kayann

I've recently been trying to migrate from XP to Vista RC2 for various reasons.My personal experience is that with identical tweaks and settings, performance on Vista RC2 with ATI's latest RTM drivers, is noticeably WORSE than XP. Going back to XP there is a noticeable increase in smoothness. Got to say I was quite disappointed given the evangelising of the benefits by some on this forum :-)Sadly I am not one of the lucky ones. Certainly hope the retail version of Vista will be better as I'm bound to purchase it.My rig:P4 3Ghz1GB Ram (yeah I know...)X1900XT 512MBI have frame rate set at 21fps in FSX, and I tend to maintain this better in XP (like I can sit on it for a bit while taking off from Bremerton National) whereas in Vista I tend to hover more around 18-20 before takeoff and loose a bit as I go, with slightly choppier performance. I'd roughly estimate a 4FPS drop, which doesn't sound like much but is enough to remove the 'shine' from the experience.Any tweaks for vista that I should be using? To be honest I haven't found that disabling Aero helps as I think some have suggested somewhere...

Mike etc, I tried to do a comparison between the 2 - but was very difficult- it just feels a lot better in Vista - less micropauses, can run it at higher settings etc. It also seems to use more RAM in Vista than XP, but thats also difficult to prove from one build to another.I saw a "benchmark" test for FSX on another forum the other day - perhaps I could use that in both Vista and XP and see what the results are like.Mark.

Guest allcott

>"and given the work involved for this second `update` after>the main FSX one it might not be free."> Just my opinion, but if they don't make any updates fixing>the original faulty, yes I said faulty, program, I'm afraid>they will lose a lot of new and old FS customers. >You misunderstand. I am referring to aftermarket developers. One patch to port over to FSX I can see as good business sense, but twoto support FSX (per/post 1st patch) then ANOTHER for DX10? Doesn't make a whole lot of commercial sense. Give the `port` away, then charge for the `update`. Eaglesoft already do, but I assume they're doing things the other way round and will patch to DX10 for free?Allcott

"Eaglesoft already do, but I assume they're doing things the other way round and will patch to DX10 for free?"No one should assume anything at this point in time. We've already said that we are a commercial organization and our pricing is based on actual hours, days, months involved in what we produce. Having said that, if we find a rather easy way to add value at little to no cost to the consumer we certainly will do so:-) As mentioned, Eaglesoft is not even running Vista candidate and will not begin working with it until there is a stable release along with a good look at newer hardware.We already have a full workload and do not wish to overload ourselves once again:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest garymccl

Hi. I'm running Vista Ultimate retail release from Microsoft. I am a developer and have it through my MSDN subscription.I haven't had a chance to try FSX on my machine yet but perhaps if you turn off the User Account Control (UAC) that may help with the DEP problem. i have found that also of the apps I wrote for XP won't work with it turned on.

Hi Gary.I am also a developer and have access to MSDN through my company. I didn't know they released the entire retail version through MSDN. I was using Software Assurance which only has Business and Enterprise versions avialable.I just logged into MSDN and sure enough there is a single download that includes all seven versions of the retail Vista. At first I couldn't find the license key but it was also there. Thanks for the tip. I would have never looked on MSDN for it. If the date is correct it has been there since the 17th of this month.Downloading now. Thanks!Anyway, I will run FSX with Ultimate as soon as I get back home and report back here soon. All PC's at home are networked through AD. Do you know if turning off UAC will affect AD access?Thanks,

Hi Kayann.I also had many problems and poor performance with Vista RC2. Not so with the retail release. Seems Microsoft has tweaked a few things since then.As for Aero it is automatically turned off by Vista when you attempt to run FSX or any other graphic intensive app. When you exit FSX it automagically returns.Hope this helps,

Guest garymccl

> Do you know if turning off UAC will affect ADWell, i don't believe so. I certainly haven't had any trouble getting access to anything in AD since i turned it off.Of course, really, i should have looked into re-writing it so that i didn't need to turn UAC off, but i don't have time at the minute, and I'm the only person not using XP at the firm I work. i guess i'll have to face it one day!

Hey Ken:I am using the MSDN Vista RTM Ultimate Edition. For readyboost I had no problem getting the 2GB OCX USB MEMto work at all, but make sure they are trying to use the OCX Platinum edition because that has the same performance as the 1GB and if the USB MEM is not fast enough, Readyboost won't use it.I don't think Readyboost works for FSX but it sure makes a huge difference in Vista since previously used apps come up instantly.

If you Migrate to RC2 you will have to install RTM or later from scratch. You cannot upgrade from RC2 to the release version of Vista.However, you CAN upgrade from XP to any version of Vista you want, so if you are not planning to do a clean upgrade, make sure you wait for the release version.

Ken:I have all my PCs at home in a domain with my domain server running Windows 2003 Small Business Edition. UAC has no problem accessing the domain server or AD.

>To correct one small misapprehension. Your copy of FSX is NOT>running under DX10. It is running under DX9.0L. >FSX cannot run as a DX10 application until its patched. So once I upgrade to Vista and DX10 any game specifically not designed for DX10 will no longer work?Matt