Sign in to follow this  
dongdongliushui

The most astounding moment of VR in MSFS

I have been a fan of flight sim VR ever since the FlyInside plugin for FSX in 2016. I really enjoy the view of the scenery in VR, along with the situation awareness, and the sense of "being there". But today I experience another kind of astounding moment in VR. It's deeper, stronger, and more impactful. It's when I was in the A320 cockpit. I have always been a GA guy, knowing and doing very little airliners for fear of the complexity, but now I am determined to take pains learning them. In VR it's so ... I don't know how to put it and I can just say I was totally in awe. The mystery and the sense of sublimity of being in the giant airliner cockpit in VR is simply incredible, and I have never experienced this in 2D mode. All the more reasons for VR!

Any good places to start learning airliners? It looks a bit off topic to ask this question, yet I do think they are related. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dongdongliushui said:

I have been a fan of flight sim VR ever since the FlyInside plugin for FSX in 2016. I really enjoy the view of the scenery in VR, along with the situation awareness, and the sense of "being there". But today I experience another kind of astounding moment in VR. It's deeper, stronger, and more impactful. It's when I was in the A320 cockpit. I have always been a GA guy, knowing and doing very little airliners for fear of the complexity, but now I am determined to take pains learning them. In VR it's so ... I don't know how to put it and I can just say I was totally in awe. The mystery and the sense of sublimity of being in the giant airliner cockpit in VR is simply incredible, and I have never experienced this in 2D mode. All the more reasons for VR!

Any good places to start learning airliners? It looks a bit off topic to ask this question, yet I do think they are related. 

There are always videos. And of course some basic training tutorials in the sim itself.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Im also learning the a320

Try doofer911 tutorials for the aerosoft a320. These are fenomenal tutorials.

Also blackbox711 is excellent. I started doing a traffic pattern which is hard enough to master to begin with.

"320 sim pilot" has excellent tutorials for the toliss a321 which is very much like the a320 in msfs. 

The flybywire project is excellent. I hope you installed that mod already!!

Cheers

Jozeff

10 hours ago, dongdongliushui said:

I started with the Level D 767 in FSX, then moved onto some of the PMDG birds - and all of the good payware has not just manuals, but worked examples of flights, with instructions from cold and dark through take off, cruise, landing and shutdown.  Literally following these helped me learn the basics to a really decent level - then forums are your friend for more sophisticated stuff.

Not altogether useful I know for MSFS, right now - but since you are a FSX fan there's a place to start, at least.  I love it.  Also the Zibo mod for XP11 is amazing, and free, and there are a ton of great online instructional videos if you want to learn the 737 that way.  Great stuff.

Paul Skol

Yes,. The zibo mod is extremely good. Xplane vr is still better overall than msfs at the moment in my opinion. But I tried to land the a320 in Rotterdam airport in the evening in msfs and that looked incredibly real. If only my rift s was a little sharper...

7 hours ago, jozeff said:

Im also learning the a320

Try doofer911 tutorials for the aerosoft a320. These are fenomenal tutorials.

Also blackbox711 is excellent. I started doing a traffic pattern which is hard enough to master to begin with.

"320 sim pilot" has excellent tutorials for the toliss a321 which is very much like the a320 in msfs. 

The flybywire project is excellent. I hope you installed that mod already!!

Cheers

Jozeff

Thank you for the recommendation. I will try them all.

I know about the flybywire project. Considering it more suited to the advanced airliner users, will the default one be more suited for the beginners?

I think you should just install the flybywire project. I've seen reviews about it and there have been hundreds of improvements including sounds, flight dynamics, improved fms etc.

I didn't bother to fly the default a320. After installing msfs the first thing I did was install the flybywire mod.

In xplane it's like flying default 737... The zibo is endlessly better so why not start with the proper aircraft.

You can always load takeoff settings and open the throttle. Release parking brakes and change flap settings maybe and you can try some pattern flying. Step by step....

3 hours ago, jozeff said:

I think you should just install the flybywire project. I've seen reviews about it and there have been hundreds of improvements including sounds, flight dynamics, improved fms etc.

I didn't bother to fly the default a320. After installing msfs the first thing I did was install the flybywire mod.

In xplane it's like flying default 737... The zibo is endlessly better so why not start with the proper aircraft.

You can always load takeoff settings and open the throttle. Release parking brakes and change flap settings maybe and you can try some pattern flying. Step by step....

Great. I will give it a shot.

Keep in mind that by Design the A320 mod precludes the possibility of using the training missions and the landing challenges that come with the SIM.

Some may look on those with a certain contempt, but I found them fun and interesting. One's mileage may vary.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Ok, I wasn't aware off the training missions for the Airbus.

Can I uninstall the mod somehow or use both the default and the mod?

8 hours ago, jozeff said:

Ok, I wasn't aware off the training missions for the Airbus.

Can I uninstall the mod somehow or use both the default and the mod?

For myself, I use the MSFS addons linker so I can activate/deactivate mods with a single click: https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

Devons rig

Yep, it was a moment of awe for me too - I finally reconnected my first generation Oculus rift and had a "wow" moment like not meany I have hade before. In fact my exclamation was so "forceful" I even got a wowowowowowowowowowow from my dogs - who didn't have a clue what I was on about... 😄

...and then I discovered you don't even have to be satisfied wth default VR graphics settings. My new 3090 graphics card
took all the alterations in its stride and allowed me a whole slew of "Ultra" settings for display. I didn't blanket everything with ultra - some you don't really need. OK, so the Rift still leaves those mouseover tooltips unreadable - er, actually I found out that if you lean close in, you can even read the very small print on the cockpit decals as well.

But best of all - you don't need to use those clutzy Rift controllers - just tune your joysticks, quadrants, yokes, HOTAS and put all the needed commands at your fingertips.

Well impressed!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

I’m noticing a loss of the flightplan when following this flow:

- setup flight in Simbrief; start MSFS & use FlyByWre A320, init / import flight plan into FMGC ; start VR, depart airport.  

I notice a moment after departing that the FMGC no longer shows any waypoints, like the flightplan just got wiped out.  

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating