Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

Boeing admits fraud / 737 Max

Boeing will pay more than $2.5 billion to settle criminal charges that it repeatedly concealed and lied about the 737 Max's engineering problems that led to two catastrophic crashes claiming hundreds of lives.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/07/954674614/boeing-to-pay-2-5-billion-over-737-max-fraud-faces-no-other-charges

• Upvote 1

...faces no other charges...??? :blink: No criminal negligence or some such regarding the loss of lives??

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Good decision by Boeing.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

14 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

...faces no other charges...??? :blink: No criminal negligence or some such regarding the loss of lives??

Well, it does include a  $243.6 million criminal penalty to the US DOJ. 

The US has extradition treaties with Indonesia and Ethiopia. I'm not sure if they are dual criminality treaties. And there is a $500 million civil settlement fund. Victim survivors lawyers will get paid their fees and costs, of course. One of the oldest american laws (and probably the best in it's category worldwide); the Alien Tort Statute (28 U.S.C. § 1350; ATS); allows for more litigation from Ethiopia and Indonesia wich will likely be settled with non-disclosure agreements. 

Aaaw, it's nice that you can pay some money and avoid a prison sentence after having killed loads of people and then lied about it all, isn't it?

Seems very fair. In fact it seems so fair that let's hope they'll scale that law down so that you and I can affordably choose to enjoy it if we've killed a few people and then attempted to cover it up eh? Just on the off chance that we might go on a random killing spree or maybe want to polish off an old aunt whose Last Will and Testament we're waiting to benefit from or some such. I'm just spitballing here but I dunno, perhaps pay maybe 200 quid for every person you've killed, with a discount for multiples of ten? After all, that prison malarkey is just for poor people, isn't it?

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Boeing is the civilian aeronautical wing of the U.S. Department of Defense. As such, prosecutorial discretion by the U.S. Department of Justice is often required. Great system, huh?

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

And Boeing thought they would save a bunch of dough by putting larger engines on an old air frame  - how did that work out?  Well, except for a few hundred fatalities, they probably may break even?

Edited by overspeed3
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1