Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Arctic Cooling 420 AIO.

Wow. Your computer would have more plumbing than your bathroom, lol.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

1 hour ago, MDFlier said:

Wow. Your computer would have more plumbing than your bathroom, lol.

😀 Well its as big as AIO's are destined to get.

Seems to me AIO technology has neared its limit. Don't see how they can progress further. Bigger pumps I suppose, but that means more noise and limited compatibility. Thicker radiators, but again compatibility with cases is an issue. The only way forward, apart from just continuing to copy the same old Asetek design, is the Intel phase change technology.  

For air coolers, I guess improved heat pipe technology and bigger heat sinks. But none of that is going to take cooling to the next level unless the die/IHS interface is improved so the heat isn't trapped under the IHS. 

Edited by martin-w

Cases can now take this size of rad my case can house one and a 360 at the same time, what i like about water cooling better case airflow if you get it right.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

15 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Cases can now take this size of rad my case can house one and a 360 at the same time, what i like about water cooling better case airflow if you get it right.

Yep, there are plenty of cases that will fit a 420 rad. Thats it though, big as an AIO can go. 

How better airflow? AIO's are always a compromise. Ingesting air blows warm radiator air into the case and exhausting cools the rad with warm case air. Doesn't make a huge diference but its still a compromise.

If you mean in terms of the rad fans adding to cooling, then not really because case fans are likely to be there anyway in a CPU air cooler scenario. No diferent. Nobody just fits an air cooler with zero intake fans.

Edited by martin-w

I like the fact that Arctic have gone to the trouble of installing fans and doing all cable management for you. I bet that fan in the block is noisy though, max 3000 rpm. No way will it provide much airflow across the VRM's either.

Only a couple of degrees cooler than a 360. This guy didn't mention noise though.

Edited by martin-w

14 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yep, there are plenty of cases that will fit a 420 rad. Thats it though, big as an AIO can go. 

How better airflow? AIO's are always a compromise. Ingesting air blows warm radiator air into the case and exhausting cools the rad with warm case air. Doesn't make a huge diference but its still a compromise.

If you mean in terms of the rad fans adding to cooling, then not really because case fans are likely to be there anyway in a CPU air cooler scenario. No diferent. Nobody just fits an air cooler with zero intake fans.

A very large air cooler can cause air flow problems as it dumps the hot air into the case, and with very large GPU`s now with heat rising which every you choose case cooling is now very important, i swapped out my new case fans for NOCTUA industrial high performance fans, that why in using the Asus learning tool my CPU had no problem hitting  5,4 ghz, in MSFS it never hits 60c in 4K ULTRA+.  in the end you should use whatever works for you.,

PS my AIO blows air out of the case that may surprise you top mounted but airflow in the case with 140mm fans is forced over the MB and GPU and out and the top AIO is fed with room temp air.

Raymond Fry.

10 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

A very large air cooler can cause air flow problems as it dumps the hot air into the case

No, not true. I've had numerous air coolers, in fact only one AIO ever. There are no issues caused by such a scenario. There's a 140 case fan barely a few centimetres behind the air cooler, venting the warm air outside, almost all cases are that way. In addition, air coolers direct air across vital motherboard components, which is something an AIO doesn't do, hence why some AIO manufacturers add a small noisy fan to try to achieve this, as per the video above. The D15 for example has an oversized central fan that's designed to do just that, it directs a gust of air across the VRM's. 

and with very large GPU`s now with heat rising which every you choose case cooling is now very important

This "heat rising" point is over used. Yes, heat rises, but is easily overcome by airflow from case fans. 

i swapped out my new case fans for NOCTUA industrial high performance fans,

Your choice, but not required. I've not had to do that with a D15 air cooler. Simply a couple of 140 fans at the front and a single 140 at the rear. the fan curve is set so that rpm is usually low. 5.2 GHz on all cores no issues. Internal enclosure temps well within acceptable levels. I've even experimented with even fewer fans, again, no issues. Most of us get carried away and over cool our PC's.  

PS my AIO blows air out of the case that may surprise you top mounted but airflow in the case with 140mm fans is forced over the MB and GPU and out and the top AIO is fed with room temp air.

No it doesn't surprise me. Its one of two possible orientations. 

So your case fans provide cooling air across the GPU and motherboard... so  no different to an air cooling setup.

If your AIO is at the top of your case, and as you say, your case fans are directing air across the hot GPU and motherboard, then its warm case air that is cooling your CPU, not cool outside air. Warm air from your motherboard and GPU.

in the end you should use whatever works for you

Agreed! But we shouldn't be claiming an air cooler is inferior for enclosure temps and thus stability. All, coolers are a compromise. AIO's are a compromise in terms of the orientation. Orientation prioritizes CPU temp or enclosure temp, as stated. And an AIO provides zero airflow across the VRM's. Unless a small noisy, less than effective, fan is added. 

Edited by martin-w

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

Agreed! But we shouldn't be claiming an air cooler is inferior for enclosure temps and thus stability. All, coolers are a compromise. AIO's are a compromise in terms of the orientation. Orientation prioritizes CPU temp or enclosure temp, as stated. And an AIO provides zero airflow across the VRM's. Unless a small noisy, less than effective, fan is added. 

I have never implied but only show test done on coolers and the past few years i have never seen an air cooler outperform and good AIO, and some AIOs will soon come with the new Intel block they will cost but thermal boost up above 5.6 and has been shown on the right MB 6ghz.   

Raymond Fry.

1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

I have never implied 

You said... "what i like about water cooling better case airflow" and "A very large air cooler can cause air flow problems" which is implying the inferiority of air coolers in regard to enclosure temps. 

i have never seen an air cooler outperform and good AIO

That's not what we are talking about though. We were addressing enclosure temps which you implied were inferior because big air coolers block airflow. As for a GOOD AIO's not being beaten by an air cooler in terms of CPU temp, more accurately its the BEST AIO's that aren't beaten by the best air coolers. Good AIO's and medium performance AIO's most definitely can be beaten by something like the D15, especially when you match acoustics. 

and some AIOs will soon come with the new Intel block they will cost but thermal boost up above 5.6 and has been shown on the right MB 6ghz.   

Well yes, but that's an advantage as a result of the Intel TEC cooler, not the AIO its attached to. 

Edited by martin-w

i run 2 360 AIO cpu and gpu , wait for 2 intel Tec type clones to test for both cpu and gpu 

Edited by westman

wait for 2 intel Tec type clones to test

Will be interesting to see what yours results are like Hasse. 

22 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Will be interesting to see what yours results are like Hasse. 

have the cpu AMD 5950x  and an Intel nda, gpu Galax 2080ti then the 3090 OcLab release 1feb 

Edited by westman