Sign in to follow this  
skip d

overclock i9-9900k

I've just dropped an i9-9900k onto an asus z390 MB with the intent of an overclock.

I am running P3Dv4.5 with a GSX 1080Ti.....

What I'm wondering is if an OC on the 9000K will produce any better scenery 'eye candy' to my sim ???

I'm getting pretty good ground textures with ORBX and UTX ....but would an OC be more beneficial for these ground efx ???

If anybody has screenshots 'before and after' OC'ing their 9900k....I'd appreciate the advise....

I've heard the advantage to an OC.is the better frame rates....Is that all I will expect with P3Dv4.5.????

Thanks for any advice

Skip d

Not sure about others....I see here lot's of people OC with different results and I guess that depends on other add-ons, etc. Recently I updated my PC and added 10700K with same intention. However first time I fired her up, for fun I moved sliders to the right to see what's happening. Since I've got excellent results, FPS and VRAM usage I gave up that idea. Works like a charm, no issues at all (don't like that EA but....). I have ORBX and everything else installed. As a matter of fact I haven't made any adjustments even on NVI....So that's my experience. But I am on V5.1

Edited by cyyzrwy24

Alex 

You won't see any difference at all in the "eye-candy". As you say, the ONLY advantage to OCing that CPU is to gain a few FPS - maybe. But (just my opinion) anything over 30FPS is wasted and in any event exceeding the monitor refresh rate is a useless exercise. If it were me, I'd leave it alone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

43 minutes ago, W2DR said:

to gain a few FPS - maybe

In my case I gained more than few really. What I gained is high texture and better resolution and definitely smoothness overall. When I measure my CPU load now, it doesn't cross 45% but my GPU load is not more than 45% either which is bit confusing. FPS locked @ 30.

Considering that I was 4 gen. behind with  CPU and MB this is now real as it gets.

Alex 

I have the i9 900k and a 1080ti 

none of which are overclocked.

no need for it. As the cpu is quite powerful.

mike

• Like 2

There is no question that an overclocked CPU pays dividends for flight simulation.  For years flight simulators have been mainly a CPU limited program.  I haven't looked at the stock speeds for all cores on a 9900k.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I OC my Flight sim home build PC`s over the years no point in buying a K CPU otherwise, and core clock still counts in flight sim even in MSFS i have upgraded my MB and CPU since MSFS was released and can see the performance improvement.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

agree.  If you buy a K and don't overclock I just scratch my head at that one

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

On 1/22/2021 at 5:15 PM, W2DR said:

You won't see any difference at all in the "eye-candy". As you say, the ONLY advantage to OCing that CPU is to gain a few FPS - maybe. But (just my opinion) anything over 30FPS is wasted and in any event exceeding the monitor refresh rate is a useless exercise. If it were me, I'd leave it alone.

Why is anything over 30 FPS wasted (out of curiosity) I've always found running 1:1 with the monitors refresh to produce the best results (universally)  Obviously that's not going to be possible with FS on a lot of the newer monitors but the absolute sweet spot for me has always been 60 FPS on a 60Hz refresh.  I have my 5K monitor running at 60hz instead of 120hz for that reason.  In racing sims I run the same 5k downstairs at 120hz and never see below 84FPS with 65 cars on track, 4k textures and every setting maxxed LOL  We've just "accepted" 30 FPS in FS for years but personally I'd always love to see 60FPS on 60Hz as a minimum...  (Just my opinion, or "fantasy") LOL  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

1 hour ago, psolk said:

Why is anything over 30 FPS wasted (out of curiosity)

I say that because 95% of people see little, if any, any difference between that and a higher rate. Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones that can see smoother performance. To me, there is no trade-off between 30+ FPS and faster loading/rendering of "the stuff"...I'll take the smoother performance gained from more rapid loading and rendering every time.

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I lock my fps to 30 and OC my CPU which will do what you tell it and try to give 200+ fps if it can it`s not bothered about quality or stutters, but capped at 30 it will then help out with the scenery display it is the CPU that issues the work to the GPU and not the other way round. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg