Sign in to follow this  
The Goose

Boeing B314 Clipper for P3D from Pilots

I would be interested to hear feedback too. The Clipper is more expensive than the PMDG DC-6 by 10$.

As I recall in older Clipper version (for FSX?) there was some mini-sceneries goodies (water airports) included. It seems that is not the case here.

What is it likee to do a transoceanic flight in this bird?

- TONY -

I have the Clipper and love it, this is such a different airplane. I am fascinated by the history of it and impressed by the amount of study that went into this model. However, I didn't have much time to test the final release yet, and the early release was limited in its functionality.

>> quite pricy if it is not a real study-level plane

"Study-level" is not a well-defined notion and everyone seems to have different ideas about what it means. I can describe what the model simulates, though:

- cold and dark start, which is quite involved since the pilot and the flight engineer both have to perform actions. I can do that using the 2D panels for the flight engineer and I believe other managed to do it in the VC alone.

- fuel management, including fuel transfer between tanks during flight.

- an old inertial autopilot, similar to the one in the A2A Connie.

- The VC models the entire flight deck, which has two rooms that accommodate pilot, co-pilot, flight engineer, navigator, and radio communication officer. There are also seats for the master of the ship and a flight mechanic who could fix engine problems during flight.

- What is missing is a sextant (but you can install a freeware sextant), cabin, and the possibility to crawl into the wings for fixing engines. Also, operations on water are somewhat limited.

Hence, with the sextant added, you can study flight performance and navigation as done in 1939. However, since the airplanes didn't include a lot of complex avionics, people who are used to FSL or PMDG products may consider the airplane as light on systems. That's just how planes were back then.

>>  there was some mini-sceneries goodies (water airports) included

None are included, but you can find a recent set of freeware water aerodromes for the Atlantic PanAm routes on Avsim/

>> What is it likee to do a transoceanic flight

I haven't tried that yet. The early access version had issues with fuel transfer and the autopilot, which made longer flights somewhat challenging. However, according to change logs, both issues have been fixed. I did a 4-hour flight from Shediac to Botswood and that was nice. 

Peter

• Like 1

$97.00  USD!    I'll need to see some really sparkling reviews before I spend that kind of money.

Edited by TASCHMANN

Peter,

Thanks for your informative answer.

- TONY -

7 hours ago, Simicro said:

What is it likee to do a transoceanic flight in this bird?

Long and tiresome.  Actual flying time was about 23 hours.  Charles Blair describes a flight in a similar flying boat in "Red Ball In The Sky".

Jim Driskell

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Too pricey in my opinion.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I have it... It's a challenge. I have been flying short hops without trying the auto-pilot (no idea how to use it yet) and it's been satisfying, but I have yet to tackle it to start from cold and dark (which I do with literally all the other aircraft every flight)... It's just a big pain in the rear. It would have been useful to do what A2A did with Connie - have an AI flight engineer to do stuff for you back there. It's really tedious to hop back and forth between stations. 

And yes, it's wicked expensive for what it is. 

• Like 1