Sign in to follow this  
Gordon Hutchison

Rolling Cache size

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’m not Noel. I don’t give it a second thought. I raised the issue a few months ago as I remember the advice given when SSDs first became available.

I remember that as well Ray, and fortunately it appears to be a non issue.  I tell you what's bizarre is these 2 terabyte m.2 NVMe 'drives' on my motherboard:  they're hardly bigger than a stick of chewing gum!  Their initial 1Tb offering had problems but these have been great.   5y warranty!

71dM+YShvmL._AC_UY436_QL65_.jpg

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 minute ago, Noel said:

I remember that as well Ray, and fortunately it appears to be a non issue.  I tell you what's bizarre is these 2 terabyte m.2 NVMe 'drives' on my motherboard:  they're hardly bigger than a stick of chewing gum!  Their initial 1Tb offering had problems but these have been great.   5y warranty!

It’s amazing how small these things can get. Faster than my Samsung 970 SSD I presume.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I wuoldn't worry too much about the pagefile. If you are worried, my two tips would be get more RAM than you will need to run the programs you want to simultaneously. If RAM is sufficient, pagefile won't get hit.  Second, don't fill the SSD to max capacity. This will naturally help preserve it and will last longer than you will ever need.

16 hours ago, Paladin said:

^^^^^^^  Then *WHY* do you persist in posting within an area/product  in which  you claim to have no interest Ray? Puzzled !!

M.

He's a Moderator!

Ray's a good egg and we thank him for his service, even when he nails us!

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I too am now on nvme SSD M.2, 1TB and a 500GB also installed on my new rig. 

I am looking forward to not experience the fatal / sudden / irrecoverable crashes we've experienced in the past with SSDs where I work. Contrarily to "good-old" HDD, which start giving signs of "something not ok" long before crashing to death, the SSDs had that remarkable capacity of going wonky from ne day to the other, losing all of the stuff... :-/

But I guess Ray's reasons are much deeper and better founded than just that - Ray is more than satisfied with his simulation platform, which gives him what he needs, and contrarily to grumpy simmers like me who should better have learned to stay put and not jumping into new sims that can bring a lot more of chaos than joy, decided to do exactly the opposite and keep enjoying what he already has !

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

6 hours ago, Malcolm Street said:

He's a Moderator!

My moderator hat wasn’t on for that post. Or for the vast majority of my posts. I’m still a flight sim fan just like the rest of you. 😉

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Ray's a good egg and we thank him for his service, even when he nails us!

Thanks! It can be a difficult job being both good cop and bad cop as circumstances dictate. 😁

25 minutes ago, jcomm said:

But I guess Ray's reasons are much deeper and better founded than just that - Ray is more than satisfied with his simulation platform, which gives him what he needs, and contrarily to grumpy simmers like me who should better have learned to stay put and not jumping into new sims that can bring a lot more of chaos than joy, decided to do exactly the opposite and keep enjoying what he already has !

I listed my reasons why I couldn’t buy MSFS as things stand. The prettiest girl doesn’t always make for the best wife. 😉 I’ll leave it there otherwise I’ll have to report myself for thread drift. 🤣

• Like 7

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1,5 TB on an old 3 TB WD Green Harddisk.

I Checked before how much read and Write speeds the Rolling Cache is using, and decided against a SSD. Because i just saw read speeds of around 10-20mb/s, thats what also a HDD can handle.

So i took a lot of time to create a 1,5TB Rolling Cache and leave it cache wherever i so fly, automatic in the Background.

For example if i now start a flight at New York City i can see and hear that all the needed data is pulled from my Harddisk when i start the flight (Task Manager shows the Harddrive Usage) Also when i fly there i can see that no new data is beeing downloadad via Internet.

Thats nice because whenever my ISP is down i can still fly places witch i already visited and have better graphics 🙂

• Like 1

I just re-installed MSFS with every add-on  I use most often in my main desktop. Using only GA planes, I rarely venture out for more than an hour away from my home airport. All my frequently used programs are installed on a new 2 TB NVMe system drive (including a Plex server). With infrequently used DCS and P3D installed with the bare minimum of modules or add-ons for them installed only, I still have about 500 GB free space left on the 2 TB NVMe drive. I also have 32 GB of RAM and an almost 1 Gbps internet connection with no caps.

After a search and reading this thread, it seems to me that the takeaways are: 

1. My rolling cache can be 0 (zero)
2. I don't need a pagefile.sys file, and
3. I can delete all the MSFS scenery and plane modules I have no plans for visiting or using for now

I hope I got this right. I guess I'll find out moving forward.  

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

On 6/24/2022 at 6:49 AM, bofhlusr said:

I just re-installed MSFS with every add-on  I use most often in my main desktop. Using only GA planes, I rarely venture out for more than an hour away from my home airport. All my frequently used programs are installed on a new 2 TB NVMe system drive (including a Plex server). With infrequently used DCS and P3D installed with the bare minimum of modules or add-ons for them installed only, I still have about 500 GB free space left on the 2 TB NVMe drive. I also have 32 GB of RAM and an almost 1 Gbps internet connection with no caps.

After a search and reading this thread, it seems to me that the takeaways are: 

1. My rolling cache can be 0 (zero)
2. I don't need a pagefile.sys file, and
3. I can delete all the MSFS scenery and plane modules I have no plans for visiting or using for now

I hope I got this right. I guess I'll find out moving forward.  

As for the pagefile, it's a theoretical "thing". In practice I've learnt that P3Dv4 had OOM at least once when I used to have the pagefile disabled, even though the rig had 32 GB of RAM. Not to mention Windows memory management is a strange thing, sometimes it seems to go to the pagefile even if there's plenty of RAM free space, anyway, I just leave it on.

As for the rolling cache I've been for months having it disabled, but I've regularly been seeing strange autogen behaviour during final approach, and talking to a friend of mine he suggested that I try the rolling cache, so a few days back I turned it on again and will observe for the next weeks.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto