6 hours ago, MooneyDriver said:

I've had my G2 a couple of weeks now and agree with another poster this is a close to real life as it gets, especially if you are doing "seat of the pants" flying.  Flying in IMC I go back to the monitor as it is sharper, focused and the mouse hits its hotspots as expected.  But aerobatics and sight-seeing VR is absolutely the best.

I try to avoid using the mouse when in VR and hope voice recognition is coming soon.  Imagine being in full VR and saying "flaps down 1"..."gear down"..."flap down full" instead of trying to fumble around to find a key or get the mouse to hit something on the panel?

For you experts: I'm looking for tips to record video of VR flights.  YouTube has several, mostly suggesting OBS that is raggedy and nasty. I'd like to record full screen through Windows Mixed Reality Portal but haven't found the right setting to create a smooth experience.

Suggestions?

Voice recognition is already here. Check out VoiceAttack. Cheap, simple to use, and absolutely brilliant.

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

On 2/12/2021 at 2:03 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The feeling is surreal. I wouldn’t quite say it was like real life. It was sort of being like in an alternate reality. Hard to describe really.

I find it is like going snorkeling, but above water...

I have similar equipment, I put OpenXR scaling to 130 and inside MSFS scaling to  80 (has to be dome each time)  Terrain set at 170  and Objets set at  200

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peppy197 said:

I find it is like going snorkeling, but above water...

I have similar equipment, I put OpenXR scaling to 130 and inside MSFS scaling to  80 (has to be dome each time)  Terrain set at 170  and Objets set at  200

How do you manage to run such high settings? 

32 minutes ago, peppy197 said:

i have 64G RAM and 24G VRAM

I have 3090 too and 32gb ram, and can’t hit high settings like that without a slideshow 

11 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I have 3090 too and 32gb ram, and can’t hit high settings like that without a slideshow 

ASUS HERO helps, though expensive.

I often have a 36G RAM load and it can go to 40G , so your stuttering is here

I get occasional stuttering but it does not bother me, it happens when i enter clouds yet can still see the terrain

I do not use Virtual RAM...

14 minutes ago, peppy197 said:

I often have a 36G RAM load and it can go to 40G

I don’t have stutters. And I’ve never seen RAM go above 28GB ever. 

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I don’t have stutters. And I’ve never seen RAM go above 28GB ever. 

Going high in RAM is usually preview to a CTD.

If you have slideshow (redirection of purpose) but not stutters (overburdening of serial loads), maybe it is going to a hard drive fetch or a virtual RAM allocation?

17 minutes ago, peppy197 said:

Going high in RAM is usually preview to a CTD.

If you have slideshow (redirection of purpose) but not stutters (overburdening of serial loads), maybe it is going to a hard drive fetch or a virtual RAM allocation?

I don’t have any of that. I have one of the fastest systems out there.
My point was, you seem to be running settings above what the fastest system can offer. Hence why I was surprised. 

7 hours ago, peppy197 said:

I put OpenXR scaling to 130 and inside MSFS scaling to  80

That’s like 26 million pixels alone. Before you’ve even hammered the cpu with LOD of 200......

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I don’t have any of that. I have one of the fastest systems out there.
My point was, you seem to be running settings above what the fastest system can offer. Hence why I was surprised. 

Sometimes I run it at 140 scaling from OP and 100 from MSFS, that is a bit jerky

Also my expectations may be lower, I started off flying real planes before FS 1 even was a remote possibility. so I was impressed when HP came out with a hand-held scientific calculator with a one-line scroll green display for a mere 350 $ and you could throw out your slide rule, which I still have from the era. It makes me smile when I imagine a room full of electronics students all with their slide rules out to figure out their individual contributions to the lift profile of a wing of one instance.....let alone the immense role-out of MSFS Thus a couple of missed fps is fine, anything above 9 fps works

Edited by peppy197

I am surprised by how much I've adapted to the G2.  My initial impressions were short of what I'd hoped to find - small sweet spot in particular.  But a couple of months later I love it.  And I mostly don't notice blurriness - my guess is that you train yourself to move your head rather than your eyeballs, so you keep the sweet spot centred, so to speak.  VR-Optician lenses have helped, too.

Wish they would fix the sound/black screen issue which is an occasional pain.  But I have enough hours now in VR (not only FS) that I honestly feel I've had my money's worth.  I've not flown MSFS or XP in 2d since the G2 arrived.

Off topic: the G2 works fantastically and natively (no messing with controllers) with Until You Fall, currently on sale on Steam and highly recommended.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Paul Skol

1 hour ago, Paul_Yorks said:

VR-Optician lenses have helped, too.

I have astigmatism. Do they work for that? Or am I best sticking to my contact lenses....

peppy197,

Why are you running OpenXR above what the G2 can handle resolution?  Why not 100  and 100 in the sim? I agree with the OP, I don't see how that is not producing an absolute slideshow.  I have a 10900KF, 3090, and 64gb or ram as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I have astigmatism. Do they work for that?

Yes, they do. I have rather severe astigmatism and used my glasses (with some difficulty) until the VR Optician inserts arrived - big difference!

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models