Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm building or... I should say upgrading some parts in a RIG that I had a lot of help from this forum about 5 years back.

I would like to upgrade the CPU to an i9-10900k and would like your thoughts on if a Noctua NA-D15s would suffice to keep it cool?

I am a Noctua fan (no pun intended) and would prefer to stay air-cooled over liquid.

Also contemplating upgrading the MOBO to ASUS ROG Max XII Z490.

I appreciate your knowledge and vast experience.

David Bell.


Intel i7 6700K @ 4.7

EVGA 1080 FTW

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a portable computer for simming while travelling--in it I run an 8-core i9-9900K at 5.0 GHz with a dual-fan NH-D15.  It just barely keeps up when running P3D...temps in the high 60s to mid 70s, depending on load and ambient air temp.  You are going to be really up against the limits of the NH-D15S with a 10-core 10900K if you overclock it much at all.

I'd say go ahead and try, but only if you're prepared going-in to either pull back the 10900K from its (expensive) potential, or to move to a better cooling solution (e.g. a 2x140 or 3x120 AIO or custom water loop).

  • Like 1

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, EVGA RTX3090 XC3 Ultra
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x NVME 2x SATA Samsung SSD, EVGA 1KW PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
SoundBlaster XFi Titanium, TOSLINK to Yamaha RX-V467 HT Rcvr, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, europrodave said:

I'm building or... I should say upgrading some parts in a RIG that I had a lot of help from this forum about 5 years back.

I would like to upgrade the CPU to an i9-10900k and would like your thoughts on if a Noctua NA-D15s would suffice to keep it cool?

I am a Noctua fan (no pun intended) and would prefer to stay air-cooled over liquid.

Also contemplating upgrading the MOBO to ASUS ROG Max XII Z490.

I appreciate your knowledge and vast experience.

David Bell.

 

I'll be doing precisely that.

Article here...

https://www.pctechreviews.com.au/2020/10/08/air-cooling-the-i9-10900k-5ghz/

Are you intending to overclock Dave?

 

At 5GHz on all cores the individual in the article witnessed perfectly acceptable temps in games. You would have to consider how much higher the thermals usually are with your chosen sim.

 

"The individual core temperatures peaked between 67°C and 77°C with an average of 56°C"

Rendering or anything extremely taxing would obviously push the temps  higher.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, w6kd said:

  It just barely keeps up when running P3D...temps in the high 60s to mid 70s, depending on load and ambient air temp.  

 

60 to mid 70's is a perfectly acceptable tempreture. That's not barely keeping up. TJ Max is over 100 degrees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a I9 10900k and a Noctua NH-D15, works great and are quiet to, my CPU temp lays normally around 65 degrees when running MFSF at Ultra.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

| Intel I9 10900K | Corsair 32Gb 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix OC 2080Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB |

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ixoye said:

I have a I9 10900k and a Noctua NH-D15, works great and are quiet to, my CPU temp lays normally around 65 degrees when running MFSF at Ultra.

 

Are you overclocking at all? 🙂

MCE on or off? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, martin-w said:

60 to mid 70's is a perfectly acceptable tempreture. That's not barely keeping up. TJ Max is over 100 degrees. 

Yes, and if I push the 9900K to the next step (5.1 GHz with the voltages needed), temps were bumping into the 90s.  I won't run a CPU with steady-state temps over 80 deg C--I've found that it becomes increasingly difficult keeping things stable when running hot, particularly the IMC.  I've had overclocks that were nice and stable on water cooling, and which took me quickly to a blue screen at the same settings when running 10-15 deg hotter (but still below Tj max) on air.

GIven my personal experience with the 9900K and the 10900K and all I've read about others trying the same things, I would not go into a build expecting to get a good all-core overclock on the 10900K with air cooling.

3 hours ago, Ixoye said:

I have a I9 10900k and a Noctua NH-D15, works great and are quiet to, my CPU temp lays normally around 65 degrees when running MFSF at Ultra.

Overclocked, or stock frequencies and volts??


Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, EVGA RTX3090 XC3 Ultra
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x NVME 2x SATA Samsung SSD, EVGA 1KW PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
SoundBlaster XFi Titanium, TOSLINK to Yamaha RX-V467 HT Rcvr, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, w6kd said:

 

 

Edited by Ixoye

| Intel I9 10900K | Corsair 32Gb 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix OC 2080Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB |

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Are you overclocking at all? 🙂

MCE on or off? 

Only MSI enhanced turbo mode enable in bios.


| Intel I9 10900K | Corsair 32Gb 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix OC 2080Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB |

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Only MSI enhanced turbo mode enable in bios.

 

Oh right, do you know what frequency it runs the cores at? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, w6kd said:

 

GIven my personal experience with the 9900K and the 10900K and all I've read about others trying the same things, I would not go into a build expecting to get a good all-core overclock on the 10900K with air cooling.

 

 

I cant really comment personally until I've built mine.

According to the article I linked to 5 GHz on all cores peaked between 67°C and 77°C with an average of 56°C. That was in games. Rendering pushed the temp up to unacceptable levels but still under TJ Max. 

Intel have pretty much overclocked the chip from stock (competing with AMD) so not much headroom remaining. Looks like the 11 series will be the same. 

Edited by martin-w

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I cant really comment personally until I've built mine.

According to the article I linked to 5 GHz on all cores peaked between 67°C and 77°C with an average of 56°C. That was in games. Rendering pushed the temp up to unacceptable levels but still under TJ Max. 

Well, I'll be interested to read your report on the build and the overclock/testing drill on air.  I won't say it's not possible to make it work...but I do think it's reasonable to warn those asking about it to be prepared to face having to make some compromises or changes to the plan.

  • Like 1

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, EVGA RTX3090 XC3 Ultra
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x NVME 2x SATA Samsung SSD, EVGA 1KW PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
SoundBlaster XFi Titanium, TOSLINK to Yamaha RX-V467 HT Rcvr, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall with MCE enabled the Maximus XII Hero runs at something like 4.9 on all cores. That's enough for me. 

I will of course see how far it will go. Should be interesting.

I'll try the AI Overclock stuff as well. I think what many are doing with AI Overclock is not realising that it provides just an estimate initially, and that its necessary to run stress tests and everything else you might do on the system first, so that it can assess the system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, martin-w said:

 

Oh right, do you know what frequency it runs the cores at? 

Not sure, but I think 5,1 ghz


| Intel I9 10900K | Corsair 32Gb 3200MHz | Asus Rog Strix OC 2080Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB |

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Not sure, but I think 5,1 ghz

 

On all cores? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...