Sign in to follow this  
rich1241

New computer questions

Hi all,

I've had a new pc on order for a while & hopefully expecting delivery in the next 4-6 weeks or so. Just after some advice for a new P3D V5 user (previously used fsx few years ago & getting back into flight sim)...

1) Is there any specific order you should install software? I have to install; ORBX sceneries like all the global packs & airports, Aerosoft airports, Active Sky weather, REX Skyforce, PMDG 737NGXu, 737 Immersion v2, Simarket airport sceneries, GSX, Alpha India AI traffic, Chaseplane, Pro ATC

2) Any other essential payware you would recommend? 

3) Is it best to install scenery with the addon.xml method as described in this youtube video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l21SW4KrEM4

4) Are there any recommended graphics settings for my new pc setup? I've got RTX 3080 & AMD 5900x with 32gb of ram. Monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G9 (which I can't wait to use when my new PC arrives 😊).

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Cheers & stay safe,

Rich

I'd start first by installing the freeware Lorby-SI P3D Addon Manager, then do the scenery build starting with ORBX Global (and Open Landclass regions if you use them, which I highly recommend).  Install your ORBX stuff into Libraries to the max extent possible so that future upgrades of the P3D Scenery component don't disturb them.  Add your sceneries and manage the layering as you go with PAOM.  And yes, I think it's best to manage scenery with the xml system.

Essential software: P3D Addon Manager, as mentioned above.  Airport Design Editor (free).  FSUIPC v6. 

Decide whether you want to use EA weather before deciding on/configuring weather apps.  Some of them do not play well, or not at all with EA.  Also, running EA on a 5120x1440 monitor is going to require some careful management of your graphics settings to avoid overrunning the 8GB of VRAM on the 3080.  I run with EA off, and use ActiveSky P3D and ASCA, as the cloud gridding and bizarre colors around dusk/dawn are a real turnoff.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your reply. Some great advice there & I'd never heard of that addon manager, looks v useful! Just to check the process then...I would install a downloaded airport into a 'download' folder I create outside the sim, use the xml steps, then use PAOM? Just want to make sure I've got it all correct before I start. 

Thanks for those other essential software recommendations - will certainly get them. 

On the graphics side, from what I've read I wont be using EA. I think Active Sky for the weather & REX Skyforce for the clouds is how I want to go. I'm a complete newbie at graphics stuff - is it just trial & error? Also any advice as to where (& what) to start to tweak...P3D settings itself, Nvidia control panel, montior settings etc? Also I just checked its a 10gb RTX 3080 (not 8gb, in case it makes any difference).

Many thanks once again for your help with all this. Want to make sure I've done enough prep before my new pc arrives to hopefully hit the ground running 😊.

Cheers,

Rich

Scenery installation methodology is all over the place--how they are installed varies widely.

If it's installed with native xml references by the installer, you can leave it be.  Sceneries installed in the P3D folder via the old outdated scenery.cfg file entry can be moved (usually) and have their scenery.cfg entries moved to an xml reference by using P3D Addon Manager.  I install or move my sceneries to a folder external to P3D itself (e.g. "P3Dv5_external") and change the paths using the addon manager to point to that location.

Some add-ons are poorly designed and are installed and must be left in a fixed location due to hard-coded references embedded in the software.  The worst of these are those that insist on being installed on the C drive...those developers apparently think we're still in the MS-DOS era.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Regardless of how you install them you may want to consider not installing any of the add-ons until you have P3D installed and the options set to your liking. And then go slow on adding all the "other stuff" being sure each one works as it should before going on to the next. None of that is absolutely necessary but it could save a lot of debugging later on should something go wrong..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply back. Many thanks both for your advice - Bob that makes sense, I'll have a look at each scenery & check how they want to be installed. 

Yup thanks Doug, was planning on doing that. No point installing all sorts to then run into trouble & have to work out what's causing the problem. 

If anyone has any advice on setting up/tweaking graphics settings let me know...otherwise i'll just keep googling, trial & error when my new machine arrives.

Looking forward to getting into P3D finally!

Cheers,

Rich