Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

FSX Really Flying Now! - How I Achieved It.

Guest NWjetflyer

You may not have full administrator rights for your computer.I found this website and tried the settings, the frame rates were beyond description on my x800pro. You have to sacrifice autogen for performace but not ground textures.Note: I followed the 8800 card specsThe Link:http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_fsx_techtips.html#

I have never seen those commands myself, and I own all my computers and have full admin rights to them. They all run WinXP Pro SP2. Perhaps you guys are using WinXP 64 or XP Media Edition?I have never seen on regular XP Pro a Performance and Maintenance command.Nor have I ever seen "Administrator Tools".There is an Administrative Tools.Inside Administrative tools, there is no such thing as "Settings".Are you guys talking about the display settings?If I select Display Properties, then I see a "Settings" tab. And often, depending on your video card, there will be a "Performance" tab inside that under the "Advanced" button (not on mine, but I've seen it before).Interestingly, under Administrative tools, I could swear I have installed .NET 2, but I only see MS .NET Fwork 1.1 Config and MS .NET Fwork 1.1 Wizards, nothing regarding .NET 2.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest NWjetflyer

I have XP Pro 32bit for my home computer..NET 2.0 I Think is a update for 1.1 My computer has a settings icon It should be there.It sounds like the Administrator permissions are not correctI am not a computer or software guru but I do know enough not to getinto trouble so I have a few questions.Are you running in "Classic" mode or default?Is there more than one user in your Documents and Settings folder?Specs:XP Pro1 gig dual channel DDR3.2 Ghz Pentium 4800 Mhz FSBATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB - latest driversWestern Digital 120 GB HD

Guest Chas

Try: Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, (not settings!)Chas

Guest kingairvols

I appreciate the heads up. I guess should I turn off the listing that was posted above my initial request for help and also upgradeto net2?Thank you.Mark.System:OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB running a NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel

Guest NWjetflyer

On my computer it says settings not services maybe I need to change my config :-rollHey Chas Thanks for the setup tips, I was on the verge of dumping FSX altogether and go back to FS9.

I feel that my performance has been OK with FSX but I would love to know what services are required for FSX that were not required for FS9. It would seem like the ACES people would have that information. My rig is pretty clean and FSX is on a dedicated raptor drive. On that drive there is also a partition dedicated for page file.With FS9, I turned off a great deal of services and I always used FSAutostart on a fresh boot. I have continued to only fly on fresh boots using the MS clean boot process but I don't use FSautostart anymore.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815069/#XSLTH32421Using this process I have about 17 processes runningI do regualr sweeps with Ad-Aware and SpybotI Use NOD32 for antivirus and it has never let me down. It is not running in the background during flights because the clean boot procedure shuts it down.I use TweakNow Reg Cleaner ProI always use Driver Cleaner Pro when I install driversI have been running WinCleaner Memery Optimizer before flights to take the place of FSAutostart's memery defrag optionI use O&O Defrag by name if the drive is more than 5% fraggedI clear my prefetch folder before each flightI clear my temp folder before each flightI run disk cleanup before each flightThe results are decent and I am fairly comfortable that I can spend less than $500 on hardware and achieve nice results (new AGP video card and a dual core processor which is supported by my mobo). Upgrading to a PCI-E board with new RAM and processor is not going to happen according to my wife.Back to the main reason for this post. On occasion, FSX will not load claiming that it could not open services required for FSX. Now, it doesn't happen all the time so I have no idea what is causing this random error. I believe this gives some credence to the many people that are claiming that FSX requires different services to operate, or even install properly. As to what those services are, MS should be able to answer this. They produced XP, FSX and the support article that I am using for a clean boot. Someone in that office should have a clue.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad