Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Too much FPS in FSX is No Good Either!!

It seems like everything else in life, that too much of a good thing may not be good for you!! I was flying around Yellowstone tonight in the Jet Ranger in Clear weather. My average frame rate was 75FPS (According to my On screen readout from ATI Tray Tools), I noticed however I was getting consistant micro stutters. This was the first time I've seen this issue in FSX. I then activated ASV6, which it just so happens Yellowstone is having a heavy snow storm tonight. This knocked my Frames to 38-40FPS but it also eliminated the stutter problem. It seems FSX is having trouble keeping up when frame rate is too high. I keep frames in FSX to unlimited, because unlike FS9 if I lock it, no matter what setting, my overall frame rate decreases. This doesn't happen in FS9 when I lock my frame rate but in FSX I see a considerable drop in performance.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Most likely your computer can't keep up with drawing textures when at higher fps. There is a tweak for this somewhere around here.

>Most likely your computer can't keep up with drawing textures>when at higher fps. There is a tweak for this somewhere around>here.My computer is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2GB memory and ATI X1950 XTX crossfire graphic cards, (Currently in Non Crossfire mode).

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Tom,I noticed that setting FPS to unlimited gives additional FPS, but it has an adverse effect on texture refresh (Blurries).IF you limit the fps, It minimizes Blurries problem. This is very acute if you use Photo texture sceneries.I am using nVidea Tune graphics program of sorts..that display I/O activty and CPU activity, Memory activity etc..in %ages.I can see the Hard Disk I/O go up (photo texture loading) when I limit the FPS. When its Unlimited..the I/O dropts to almost 0 or stay in the 1-2% range and I end up with blurries.IF you have set that FIBRE...% in the fsx.cfg, "Unlimited" FPS pretyy much ignores that setting as well.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest JIMJAM

Call MS and complain about the fps in FSX being to HIGH.:-lol Thats sure to lead to ,A- loud colorful language,B- Sudden medical condition or C- Combination of the two.

Please box up your rig and post to me if this excessive fps problem is too much for you :)

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

>Tom,>>I noticed that setting FPS to unlimited gives additional FPS,>but it has an adverse effect on texture refresh (Blurries).>>IF you limit the fps, It minimizes Blurries problem. This is>very acute if you use Photo texture sceneries.>>I am using nVidea Tune graphics program of sorts..that display>I/O activty and CPU activity, Memory activity etc..in %ages.>>I can see the Hard Disk I/O go up (photo texture loading) when>I limit the FPS. When its Unlimited..the I/O dropts to almost>0 or stay in the 1-2% range and I end up with blurries.>>IF you have set that FIBRE...% in the fsx.cfg, "Unlimited" FPS>pretyy much ignores that setting as well.>>MannyThanks Manny, but I don't see any blurries, textures are much clearer than FS9 ever was. The only time I see any blurries (and even then it's not that bad!) is if I fly a fast mover like an F-16, but I think texture refresh as it pertains to distant textures may have trouble keeping up. The solution I'm sure is locking the frames, but like I said, this comes at a performance penalty that isn't there in FS9! I don't know if this is by design or a bug. If it's the latter I hope MS/Aces fixes it in the upcoming patch!! This is not a problem in most cases on my system, but in heavy dense areas with dense clouds it does become an issue! Cutting FPS in those areas from the high teens to twenties down to the low to mid teens.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

With my CPU, setting the target frame rate at 25 was for the best option for "stutterless" flight. I had tried "unlimited" initally as others were having good sucess with it. But as I remember, I did get some stutters at unlimited.Athlon 64 3800+/2GIG/Geforce 7600GS 256MBL.Adamson