Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

Qw 787 SID SPEEDS

Hey guys,

sorry this is probably a stupid question I have been flying the qw 787 for quite some time now.

thou I get confused with with initial climb speed v2 is say 161kts and by first waypoint at say 1000ft I should be at 250kts is this correct or do i need to enter different speeds ?

I don’t find any speeds related to sids on charts. Usually on STAR.

thiu the pmdg aircraft would give gradual speeds during climb.

thanks

mike

The 787 commands all speed constraints in LEGS page as "at or below", unlike 737 which can be set with suffix as "A" or "B". true IRL.

Edited by C2615
  • Like 1

Can you give a STAR example that has a speed so I can take a look?

IRL we never have to adjust the speed for STAR's so I'm interested to see how the QW compares.

Thanks,

Scott

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Hey guys,

sorry this is probably a stupid question I have been flying the qw 787 for quite some time now.

thou I get confused with with initial climb speed v2 is say 161kts and by first waypoint at say 1000ft I should be at 250kts is this correct or do i need to enter different speeds ?

I don’t find any speeds related to sids on charts. Usually on STAR.

thiu the pmdg aircraft would give gradual speeds during climb.

thanks

mike

If no speed is annotated on the chart it is assumed you will accelerate to 250 KIAS in a turbojet aircraft upon complete of your initial climb segment based on the Manufacturers guidance.  This can be found in the FCOM Normal Procedures.  You program this in Page two of Takeoff on the CDU.  You'll see three entry points.  EO Accel, Accel and Thru Red.  A normal takeoff would be NADP 2.  Based on the 747 this is Accel height of 1000 Thr Reduction at Flaps 5.  This should work for the 787 also.  However if that is not an option for you, Try Accel height of 3000 and Thr Reduction 1500 this is NADP One.  These climb profiles can be subject to airport Noise Abatement procedures as well which can also be found in the Airport Reference pages of the charts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Yep, Airspeed will be commanded in the region of V2+15-25 until acceleration altitude , after that commanded speed will  get stepped up through flap retraction schedule  until you get the speed restriction  in the FMC which is 250/10,000ft by default. 
Deleting thIs restriction through the FMC will give you econ climb speed, though I can’t quite remember if QW let’s you delete the restriction, I’ve got a feeling it doesn’t but could be wrong.

SIDs normally have speed restriction imposed to keep aircraft within prescribed tracks when making sharp close in turns, usually in place for noise abatement purposes. You tend to see them more on RNAV sids , or whatever the authorities are calling them this month.

Edited by jon b
  • Like 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.