Sign in to follow this  
harpsi

Videocard "problem" solved

Hi

I prefer to start a new topic because computer ideas are changing in a question of weeks...

Now that I finally (!!!) got my videocard "problem" solved I can start looking for the other computer devices. A brand new Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 OC 24GB will arrive in some days. It seems to be number 1 in all videocard reviews I have seen. 

Now, the next "battle": i9-10900K or Ryzen 9 5900X? Does MSFS use so much cores and threads? 

After choosing this, I need to decide between Z490 or X570 motherboads, since I don´t know if it is possible and better to use Z590 with i9-10900K in terms of performance.

Suggestions are welcome.

On 4/24/2021 at 6:56 PM, harpsi said:

After choosing this, I need to decide between Z490 or X570 motherboads, since I don´t know if it is possible and better to use Z590 with i9-10900K in terms of performance.

Suggestions are welcome.

I would go for B550, not because X570 is bad but I think AM4 is on the last generation now and the next AMD is on AM5. The difference between B550 and X570 is not so big, my suggestion is to save up for the future. 

6 hours ago, TrentXWB said:

I would go for B550, not because X570 is bad but I think AM4 is on the last generation now and the next AMD is on AM5. The difference between B550 and X570 is not so big, my suggestion is to save up for the future. 

Between B550 and X570 which is the newest one which also could take a new processor in some years, if really needed?

3 hours ago, harpsi said:

Between B550 and X570 which is the newest one which also could take a new processor in some years, if really needed?

It's not really about newest but which is more capable overall. The X570 is going to be better than a B550 but obviously going to cost more. Depends on what you want to spend. If you're open to spending about £220 go with something like the X570 Tomahawk which got great reviews for price/performance. If you want to spend less then go with a decent B550 like the B550 Tomahawk - would save you about £70.

Both the X570 and B550 use the AM4 socket as Trent said. The recent 5900X CPUs are probably going to be the last ones using this socket as AMD plans to release the new AM5 socket. Once they do this and then release new 6000 series CPUs for AM5 you'll need a new motherboard if you want to use the 6000 series CPU as your existing one with the AM4 socket won't support it. It'll be 2022 before you start seeing the new socket/CPUs though so up to you. Something like a 5900X is going to remain relevant for a good few years but if you want to get something that gives you a longer upgrade path and you wanted to go with AMD then maybe waiting for AM5 could make sense.

1 hour ago, Tektolnes said:

It's not really about newest but which is more capable overall. The X570 is going to be better than a B550 but obviously going to cost more. Depends on what you want to spend. If you're open to spending about £220 go with something like the X570 Tomahawk which got great reviews for price/performance. If you want to spend less then go with a decent B550 like the B550 Tomahawk - would save you about £70.

Both the X570 and B550 use the AM4 socket as Trent said. The recent 5900X CPUs are probably going to be the last ones using this socket as AMD plans to release the new AM5 socket. Once they do this and then release new 6000 series CPUs for AM5 you'll need a new motherboard if you want to use the 6000 series CPU as your existing one with the AM4 socket won't support it. It'll be 2022 before you start seeing the new socket/CPUs though so up to you. Something like a 5900X is going to remain relevant for a good few years but if you want to get something that gives you a longer upgrade path and you wanted to go with AMD then maybe waiting for AM5 could make sense.

Well, if one is always delaying and delaying, of course newer CPUs and MBs will arrive. I was waiting several months for a new GPU and my computer is 9 years old... I would like something for now, but if I would like to upgrade, from one to another socket of even from intel to amd (or the opposite), you just need to change CPU and MB. It costs? Yes, it costs, but in a new machine which will cost more than 5000 euros with monitor included, I think that differences of 100 euros are not really relevant. I will take your comment in account.

Yes I'd agree - for me if I already had my 3090 I wouldn't want to wait for the next thing from AMD/Intel. I'd go with a 5900X or 10900K and then wait and see how AM5 / Alder Lake pans out and upgrade the CPU and MB together in a few years time maybe if I thought it was needed.

4 hours ago, Tektolnes said:

Yes I'd agree - for me if I already had my 3090 I wouldn't want to wait for the next thing from AMD/Intel. I'd go with a 5900X or 10900K and then wait and see how AM5 / Alder Lake pans out and upgrade the CPU and MB together in a few years time maybe if I thought it was needed.

Maybe it is cheaper to go to i9-10900K with just a little sacrifice in performance and then I can change in 2 years. This GPU won't be outdated. Even if you need RAM - more or different - you can waste more 200 euros. 

I have been an Intel man for years, and just read up today, that AMD 5900x is kicking the butt out of Intel.  Then again if you look at past experience, especially the last 20 years, for flight simming the way to go was always Intel., that's the standard.

Edited by Sunshine13

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

17 hours ago, harpsi said:

Like Sunshine13, i have been Intel man since my very first PC back in 96 and was hesitating to switch to AMD but I didnt regret my move. I was on 9700K and went to 5800X, it is all smooth like butter. There are some stuff to read with AMD PBO and Curve Optimiser but it is worth the efforts for me.

One of the key difference between B550 and X570 is the amount of PCI-E gen 4 lanes. With B550 you can only put 1 NVME Gen 4 and your GPU PCI-E gen 4, if you put another NVME on that B550 it will only utilise PCI-E gen 3. While with X570 you can have 1 GPU PCI-E gen 4, 2 NVME Gen 4 simultaneously. I had to think hard as well before deciding if I want to go with B550 or X570 but settled with B550. One of the thing i like with AMD is that they use the same socket for a few CPU generations, more cost effective than Intel. But now we are at the end of AM4 socket.

Edited by TrentXWB

8 hours ago, TrentXWB said:

Like Sunshine13, i have been Intel man since my very first PC back in 96 and was hesitating to switch to AMD but I didnt regret my move. I was on 9700K and went to 5800X, it is all smooth like butter. There are some stuff to read with AMD PBO and Curve Optimiser but it is worth the efforts for me.

One of the key difference between B550 and X570 is the amount of PCI-E gen 4 lanes. With B550 you can only put 1 NVME Gen 4 and your GPU PCI-E gen 4, if you put another NVME on that B550 it will only utilise PCI-E gen 3. While with X570 you can have 1 GPU PCI-E gen 4, 2 NVME Gen 4 simultaneously. I had to think hard as well before deciding if I want to go with B550 or X570 but settled with B550. One of the thing i like with AMD is that they use the same socket for a few CPU generations, more cost effective than Intel. But now we are at the end of AM4 socket.

Since we are at the end of AM4, maybe it doesn't matter if I choose Intel or AMD right now. If I want to upgrade in 2 years I will need to change both CPU and MB. I was thinking that 3 NMVe are not needed at all. I read that p3d doesn't have any advantage of M.2 HDD. Is it true? 

2 hours ago, harpsi said:

Since we are at the end of AM4, maybe it doesn't matter if I choose Intel or AMD right now. If I want to upgrade in 2 years I will need to change both CPU and MB. I was thinking that 3 NMVe are not needed at all. I read that p3d doesn't have any advantage of M.2 HDD. Is it true? 

Sure, we are at the end of AM4, going Intel is not a bad choice. For me, I get a lot more from Ryzen, not just for P3D but also for other applications. 

If you go for Intel and want to enjoy PCI-E gen 4 then you need to go for the newest MB chipset and latest intel 11th gen. 

Definitely, SSD is faster in loading than HDD but that how much faster compared to HDD, i couldnt say. 

23 minutes ago, TrentXWB said:

Sure, we are at the end of AM4, going Intel is not a bad choice. For me, I get a lot more from Ryzen, not just for P3D but also for other applications. 

If you go for Intel and want to enjoy PCI-E gen 4 then you need to go for the newest MB chipset and latest intel 11th gen. 

Definitely, SSD is faster in loading than HDD but that how much faster compared to HDD, i couldnt say. 

Since we are facing a transition MBs period it is not the best time to choose between Intel or AMD in terms of a future upgrade. I will need to change some components, whether I choose one or other. But I really need a machine... Let's see because the monitor with NVidia GPUs is my next biggest from to solve.

On 4/27/2021 at 3:57 AM, TrentXWB said:

Can't say I'm blown away with the 5800x. it's a nice chip but AMD seem to overvolt their components and as a result they run as hot as hell! The same applies to AMD video cards , BTW.

I had to cut down on voltage to keep it cool, even though I have some decent air cooling. I guess I can optimize things with the optimization curve but for one, their bios for the 5000 series has not stabilized yet and second, I don't really have the time nor patience for running many hours of stability tests.

7 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

Can't say I'm blown away with the 5800x. it's a nice chip but AMD seem to overvolt their components and as a result they run as hot as hell! The same applies to AMD video cards , BTW.

I had to cut down on voltage to keep it cool, even though I have some decent air cooling. I guess I can optimize things with the optimization curve but for one, their bios for the 5000 series has not stabilized yet and second, I don't really have the time nor patience for running many hours of stability tests.

Agree on the temp. When I was on Intel temp was never a concern but then moved to AMD I was surprised. But then again my AIO was 10 years old, Corsair H100i. Changed to Arctic Freezer II 240 and did some tweaking and I was happy. Now around about 80c on full load while I live in a tropical country with ambient temp at noon is around 30c. At night when my air-condionter is ON then it helps as well. 

I tweaked the PPT, EDC and TDC. All performed well now, no stutter and runs cool.