Sign in to follow this  
highpressure

P3D V4 settings for improving performance.

Hello simmers,

I often fly PMDG aircrafts on P3D V4 and I'm struggling with low performance, especially when using AS weather and payware sceneries. My settings are probably too high for my rig and I wanted to ask for some suggestions. 

Config:

Intel i5 6600K @3.5 GHz
PNY GTX1050 Ti 4GB
12GB of RAM (2400Mhz)

Settings:

1620322867-lighting.png1620322864-display.png1620322868-realism.png1620322868-weather.png1620322868-world.png

• Like 1

I have moved your topic into the P3D general forum.  You were neither posting a tip or trick, but asking for help!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Can you be more specific about what FPS you get with PMDG airplanes and which add-on sceneries you use?

• Move your Cloud Coverage Density slider to Medium. (Maximum setting will put a lot of stress on your GPU when cloudy).
  • Tessellation Factor slider to High or Medium.
  • Uncheck the Simulation Objects shadows option.

• In ActiveSky options, Cloud Options, Maximum Cloud Layers, move your slider from default value 5 to 4 or even 3 layers.
    Also, move the Maximum Cloud Draw Distance slider and Minimum Cloud Draw Distance slider both to 60.
    (You will get an error message from ActiveSky telling you that cloud coverage density in P3D settings should be set to maximum, you can ignore this message).

• If your monitor can handle it, limit your FPS externally.
    Either use Nvidia Control Panel and set 'Max Frame Rate' to 30 FPS or use RivaTuner Statistics Server to limit to 30 FPS.
    There are other threads on this forum that describe how to do this.

These changes should bring some improvement to your performance.

P.S. I don't know how much AI traffic you are using as you haven't shown that settings page. Limit the amount of AI aircraft to 50 aircraft (there are apps that can do that, e.g. the paid version of FSUIPC or the AI_Companion app available from the Alpha India Group forums), and in P3D put the boats, ships and road traffic sliders to zero.

Edited by F737NG

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I noticed that you have the 6600K running at stock? Might be worth a an overclock. Not extreme but try for a higher clock. Also, why is bathymetry enabled? Try turning off bloom. That might help a bit as well.

I have a far less capable machine as you can see in my sig but I have no real issues with frames or smoothness. I guess it's also about what you are expecting. At heavy payware scenery with the FSLabs I get between 12-16fps in the cockpit. Outside views see the frames jump into the mid to high 20s. That is a worst case scenario. However, frames are just part of the story. If the smoothness is good then, for me, frames don't really matter too much.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

I would also consider turning down the Dynamic Reflections and unchecking Dynamic Lighting given you have a GTX 1050Ti. I can imagine that may be a challenge for that type of graphics card. At least you can experiment and see what effect that has on FPS and smoothness.

Also, it would be interesting to know what your performance is like with a default P3D aircraft and placed at a default P3D airport that has no add on scenery. You probably should be in the range of 50-70 FPS before making any setting changes.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Try this as a starter set:

SETTINGS
within P3Dv4

Display:
FXAA off   
AA:  4XSSAA
texture filtering: anisotropic  8X
texture resolution: high 2048x2048
Vsync  off
Target framerate: unlimited
Wideview aspect: off
mipmap VC panels off