Sign in to follow this  
Fatoosh

Mothers Day - and I'm the MOTHER of my FS2020 download

I've been keeping occasional track of my download ... what a bear this is ... so far, so good.  Am fretting this.

5/8/21 15:37 1ST ENTRY) MODULE 154 -212 (90% OF MODULE) 31.49 GB OF 167.54 GB DOWNLOADED  AVG SPEED 4.3 MB/PER SECOND

5/8/21 22:45  (BED  TIME) MODULE 175-212 (21% OF MODULE) 46.07 GB OF 167.54 GB DOWNLOADED  AVG SPEED 4.9 MB/PER SECOND

5/9/21 04:00 (H MO DAY)  MODULE 175-212 (54% OF MODULE) 52.58 GB OF 167.54 GB DOWNLOADED   AVG SPEED 5.3 MB/PER SECOND

5/9/21 11:20 (H MO DAY) MODULE 175-212 (98% OF MODULE) 72.92 GB OF 167.54 GB DOWNLOADED    AVG SPEED 4.9 MB/PER SECOND

AT THIS RATE, i THINK FLITE SIM 2025 WILL BE RELEASED BEFORE THIS COMPLETELY DOWNLOADS (OR NOT-CROSSING FINGERS)

Download speed does seem to go up and down a bit.  Mine downloaded overnight whilst I was sleeping.  What internet speed do you usually get?

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi there,

I had a similare experience when trying to download the update for aerosoft Paderborn 3.5 Gb. I would have taken all day and night, so I checked with Dr. Google and found this: Press windows key, settings, update & security, delivery optimization, advanced options. Here check the box:  "Limit how much bandwith is used for downloading updates in the background".  In my case, after putting the sliderto 100%, it downloaded then with my full download speed (240 mbps) and finished the update within minutes. Worth a try...

Take care

Mick

Edited by Micko
  • Like 2

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

6 hours ago, Micko said:

Hi there,

I had a similare experience when trying to download the update for aerosoft Paderborn 3.5 Gb. I would have taken all day and night, so I checked with Dr. Google and found this: Press windows key, settings, update & security, delivery optimization, advanced options. Here check the box:  "Limit how much bandwith is used for downloading updates in the background".  In my case, after putting the sliderto 100%, it downloaded then with my full download speed (240 mbps) and finished the update within minutes. Worth a try...

Take care

Mick

Mick - thanks for that. I read about that and THOUGHT I did that....but now, after so many attempts at getting FS installed from discs, I don't recall if I took that step or not, but I will assure you that, at this time, I will not make ANY changes to something that's on day 3....for fear I will have to start over.  Thanks for the tip and I will check if that setting is made after the download is done at a snails pace of 3 to 5 MB.

10 hours ago, Baber20 said:

What is that thread title..?

Meaninig, I've been mothering this download from the beginning....a doting mother.

Hi Fatoosh, can you say what version of windows you are using?  There are reports of what you describe by people using Win 10 1904 or earlier. Updating to 1909 and onward seems to cure much of the install / update issues

Excuse my ignorance, but from what i can gather, you are using discs, so why are you having download problems ?  I dont have FS2020, due to the download size, but was considering discs. 

Cheers

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

I'm assuming your regular download speeds when running some form of speed test is normally far higher?

1 hour ago, Freo said:

Excuse my ignorance, but from what i can gather, you are using discs, so why are you having download problems ?  I dont have FS2020, due to the download size, but was considering discs. 

Cheers

I'm the last person to even accept anyone expressing their ignorance (LOL).  My last post happened at early morning, only 4 hours sleep. I answered post and went right back to bed.  Ahh, awake and refreshed now.

Because I am in the Philippines and our internet is spotty at best, I thought it better to get the disk based version. I spent over $110 and waited one month plus for the Aerosoft disk version.  My first observation was they packaged their disk in tight cardboard slots, and it appeared that just removing the disks each time and replacing them would surely mar the surfaces ... I still believe that.  Anyway, set about anxiously installing. First read up some tips on installing through their portal and others....took as many precautions as I could and awaaaaaay we go. Disk 1 very slow but worked, Disk 2 very slow but worked, Disk 3 failed at the first CAB file. Deleted, destroyed any vestiges of the install, cleaned the disks (all of them) and tried again. This time Disk 2 failed. Repeated the cleansing process and tried again. This time Disk 1 failed.   ARGHHHH, I was fit to be tied after spending so much money and waiting so long. Spent another 2 days and saw many problems from others, did as many more cleansing steps as I could muster. Same problems.

Finally, I said to myself I don't have the patience for this BS, I'm 67 years old, and for the first time since my flight sim days of 1986, I give up on flight sim and their ridiculous method of delivering software. Honestly, I would have PAID for the program already installed on a SSD disk and sold that way with only a simple on-disk download of set-up parameters. Why not, they could afford to buy thousands of SSD drives and sell them at a discount with the program on them.  Well, that's my thinking at least.  I contacted them and asked for a refund. This is when (almost a week later they replied) they said I could just put Disk 1 in, register using my software key, and ba-da-bing, download.  I could have done this before for only $60.00 without all the hassles, now I'm paying $120 for useless disks and downloading now (at about 72% now - so far so good).    And that's the story.  GET THE DIGITAL, SCREW THE DISKS.

1 hour ago, YMMB said:

I'm assuming your regular download speeds when running some form of speed test is normally far higher?

Not sure, probably - will let you know after this download is done. I don't want to disturb it.

2 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

Hi Fatoosh, can you say what version of windows you are using?  There are reports of what you describe by people using Win 10 1904 or earlier. Updating to 1909 and onward seems to cure much of the install / update issues

Windows H02 (that's a zero I assume)  I downloaded it during my disk based download fiasco.  Nobody seems to mention H02, but that's what WIndows downloader gave me.

2 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

Sorry - the first reply was incorrect. I was going from memory and my personal memory chips are not very good  LOL. I was afraid to go into Windows Key for fear this download would crash (remember? Mothers Day).  I did so just now and all is still OK, I hope.

I actually updated 3 days ago on May 7, 2021

WIndows specifications:
EDITION: WIndows 10 Pro
VERSION: 20H2
INSTALLED ON: Feb 17, 2021
OS BUILD: 19042.928
EXPERIENCE: Windows feature experience pack 120.2212.551.0 (Whatever the heck that is)

5 hours ago, Freo said:

Cheers

Well you would have to download World Updates and Regular Updates, after you loaded the disc at some point! Which I am pretty sure haven't been updated? He can tell you?

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

7 hours ago, Fatoosh said:

Not sure, probably - will let you know after this download is done. I don't want to disturb it.

I know exactly what you mean :😬