Sign in to follow this  
MD83

Vista? Don't Want It, Don't Need It, Don't Care!

Guest iwantmydc3

Hello All:I know those few that read my infrequent posts may be tired of me being the wet blanket when it comes to Vista (with my little catch phrase title here), but, seriously, I'm looking for someone to explain why I, or anyone would NEED the new operating system, if they have a recent XP system that is working correctly. I read an article in PC World that states many applications actually run SLOWER under Vista than XP, so, well, that's certainly not a selling point. Don't get me wrong I'm not "Anti Vista." (Althought I did buy a new computer now, so that I could specify XP Pro, and not have to deal with it yet). When I buy my next PC in a few years, having it already installed and cofigured for me won't give me fits, like say, a DOS diehard would have had, I just don't feel like messing with the UPGRADE path if everything is working well. I don't see a reason for it. I don't care about the new widgets or the new interface. So, why do I or anyone NEED it?

Guest MaskedCarrot

Basically people said the same thing about XP shortly before it came out.Plus all these articles saying the performance of Vista is horrible isn't taking into account the fact that most of the drivers for video, audio and other things aren't ready yet. For example, Creative Labs has yet to put out a driver that is even somewhat acceptable in Vista. Nvidia's drivers aren't too bad, but getting better.I remember the same issues with drivers for XP when it was about to get released.So it all comes down to the issue that the OS isn't even released yet, the drivers aren't mature yet, and everyone has an opinion.Me personally, I will probably switch to Vista in the future. I get a free upgrade to Vista for the HP that I bought recently.I am in no rush to upgrade though. I played around with Vista a bit, and sure it sure looks pretty. The added security of Vista is actually a nusiance to me and I turned it off immediately because I don't want to be bothered by all that. Plus I actually know what I am doing and find XP just fine for security and Vista overly bloated for all the noobs in this world with computers.The reason I will upgrade to Vista eventually is because of DX10. That and the fact that new programs and such will be written to take advantage of Vista in some way.

>Hello All:>>I know those few that read my infrequent posts may be tired of>me being the wet blanket when it comes to Vista (with my>little catch phrase title here), but, seriously, I'm looking>for someone to explain why I, or anyone would NEED the new>operating system, Main compelling reason for a gaming to upgrade ..is to get DX10Regards,Vern

Guest d.lahrman

I've been running Vista RC1 on my primary PC since it became available and I expect to have the retail version running on my new PC when I'm finished building it in a couple weeks. I think the two things that will have people moving to Vista is security and entertainment. We've heard plenty about security improvements so enough about that. Entertainment is the big one. Vista has many features geared towards enhancing the multimedia experience and third-party developers are going to build on these. Movies, TV-on-the-PC, digital recording, photos, and music are integrated into the OS. And games will be incredible! It's not going to be like the big bang and happen instantly. It will take time, just like XP, FS 9, etc. Do you need it? That depends on what level of Maslow's hierarchy you live in. It is the natural progression of things (even if it isn't 100% original). Sooner or later you'll catch up.

Guest iwantmydc3

Hi GuysYes, I understand all that. I've been using computers since DOS 3.1, and have been a beta tester for several Microsoft products. My issue is as soon as a new OS or major program upgrade comes out, the "computer press" falls all over itself to get everyone to get it. My point is no one NEEDS it RIGHT THIS MINUTE. I guess I'm just trying to advise people dont get caught up in the upgrade hype machine. Now, someone buying a new machine, that's different it will be preinstalled. Someone with a machine say less than a year old, will probably get good results. But everyone else, even those with FSX I think should wait. We do use our computers for other things your know :) Uh, dont we? P.S. I never understood why would i want to watch movies on my PC? I have digital cable, a DVD recorder and a TV for that :)

Guest bj00rn

DX10...Anyway, many said the same about XP... Look how that went... I have a big distaste for Vista because of DRM and whatnot, but I still think Vista overall seems like a good OS.Oh, and I'm writing this post on my MacBook BTW :)

Upgrading to vista because of DX10, doesnt sound like a very good idea to me. Thats a very expensive upgrade, OS + DX10 card. And what extra performance will you get for the money, nobody knows yet, maybe nothing. Vista and gaming will for sure be the future on the pc, but not now, and probably not for the next 3-4 years.

Guest PPSFA

My personal 'rule' is to never use a new OS until its been out for at least a year, because unless MS plans on paying me, Im not interested in using a beta product. And that is exactly what any new OS is when released, so MS can use consumers to finish the testing, while we pay for the 'priviledge'.

Speaking of DX10 and Vista; what happened to the "rumor" of the DX 9 version that was/is supposed to be the DX10 of XP?

Yeah rumor is the key word, MS would never release DX10 for XP.

Guest d.lahrman

"P.S. I never understood why would i want to watch movies on my PC? I have digital cable, a DVD recorder and a TV for that"You see? That's what MS is trying to change. Integration! How 'bout watching TV in a window while you fly that 747 over the Pacific? Inflight movie! I know this is not news to you. And we all know that someday soon (I think sooner than 3-4 years) we'll all be there. And then, MS or maybe even Apple will have the next big thing dangling in front of us. And we don't need it. But we like it, so we buy it. It just never ends!

>"P.S. I never understood why would i want to watch movies on>my PC? I have digital cable, a DVD recorder and a TV for>that">>You see? That's what MS is trying to change. Integration! Don't forget about your cell phone :)I downloaded a free app last night called ORB. Streams any kind of media (live TV, music, photos, movies, etc.) directly from my computer to my cell phone over the internet.In 5-10 years our home computers will run our entire home entertainment network. Everything will go into the computer and then be distributed to any device with a screen. MS and Apple are both investing big in this area, so get used to it.Matt

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

I don't think anyone out there is actually telling you to go and purchase Vista the second it becomes available.You have a choice, much like driving a car. That 2003 model your driving sure is nice, and will certainly last a few years to come while maintaining performance and reliability. But after those few years pass, it's time to buy something newer (yet again) if you want to maintain that performance and reliability.Vista is very similar. Sure, XP may be good enough for you now. But what about when MS cease to support it? What about when hardware vendors no longer design DX9 based products? What about when games are DX10 or even DX11? Will XP still be you OS?Times are moving ahead, you *need* an OS that can keep up, and it is your own free choice to do so. No one will ever make you do it, and you will always have resources like magazines and the internet to find out more about it. It won't matter to anyone but yourself, so convince yourself whether or not you need it, and go from there.

That was rumored to be DX9L. The rumor was incorrect and DX9L is a DX9 compatiblity version for Vista not a DX10 compatible version for XP. You want DX10, you're gonna have to buy Vista, there will simply be no DX10 for XP.