Sign in to follow this  
solito

Glass cockpit refresh rate

I noticed that the Glass cockpit refresh rate setting has considerable impact in FPS, in my case more than 20% diference from low to high, flying the B747. So my question is, which are the consequences of setting it at low  ?

The MFD display is smoother at higher rates but you also get more CPU load.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Is that smoothness so noticeable to worth the price of such FPS diference  ?

23 minutes ago, solito said:

Only you can answer that.

If the display refresh set to low on your system with the sort of flying you do with your monitor settings and eyesight is acceptable that is all that matters. 

The fact that someone else might be saying "I find low refresh unusable" is irrelevant. On their machine it might be, it is how it effects your machine that actually matters.

Of course it also depends on your overall FPS, if your rocking 60+FPS average with lows of 50 FPS then who cares keep it on high.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, solito said:

You notice it if you look at the speedometer, it looks like it is moving in slow motion at settings lower than high.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I have mine set at medium which gives me the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds depending upon whether your glass is half full or half empty.  That seems to be a fair compromise to me.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

That setting indeed changes the refresh rate, lower settings lead to a lower refresh rate, a lower fps being rendered on the instruments so you get little stutters between the number updates (exclusively inside the windows) and higher fps.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I would lay a considerable amount of cash on this being one of Randazzo's key bullet points to Asobo for speedy resolution, especially in light of the DC-6 being brought ahead of the 737

39 minutes ago, EGLD said:

I would lay a considerable amount of cash on this being one of Randazzo's key bullet points to Asobo for speedy resolution, especially in light of the DC-6 being brought ahead of the 737

This is extremely unlikely, as the 737 will not be using the JS/HTML Coherent GT framework, which is what is controlled by that UI option.

I believe the 737 will probably still use GDI+, just in WASM/C++, or potentially the new drawing API there. The speed of the glass rendering will be all up to PMDG.

-Matt