Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Really 80GB?

Hi,

is it true, that msfs comes only with 80GB after the update? How Asobo handled that to reduce it by more than 50 per cent and still have the same features available?

Do you think in that case a 500GB SSD would be enough for MSFS plus addons and OS on the same drive? Would MSFS benefit out of a 7000MB/s SSD?

Edited by 737_800

If it's written in the official changelog, of course it's true. Keep in mind however that this let you download a smaller package, but then the package is extracted and you still get to the usual space occupied. It's a measure to reduced download time, not overall installation size. Mine, with few addons, sits at 150gb so far with the standard edition (and no big planes besides the WT4 CJ4 and FF320)

Packing files together to reduce size is nothing new or innovative, in fact it was about time it happened. A lot of programs do the same!

For othe other question, it really depends on the amount of third parties addons you are going to add so it's difficult to answer.

• Like 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Yes, you could manage with OS and MSFS on a single 500GB SSD.

However you likely also want other applications on the drive, for example MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook email)? Do you store images and videos? Any other games? If so, you might be limiting yourself down the line. A SSD does not operate at optimal speed and performance when it is close to 100% full.

An ultra fast, best money can buy SSD will reduce loading times but it won’t have a huge impact once in game.

I run one SSD for Windows and all other apps. MSFS has its own SSD (including all mods) and an old school HDD for storing images, doc’s, data and backups etc. Works perfectly.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

21 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Do you think in that case a 500GB SSD would be enough for MSFS plus addons and OS on the same drive? 

That depends entirely on how many addons you get!    I hoped a 500GB SSD would be enough....  I've already filled that one up within 2 months.   

Asobo may be getting ready for MSFS on the XBOX later this year after the DX12 update.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Mine is 143 GB, Premium Deluxe, and I have all the World Updates installed and today installed 4 GB updates I guess I missed along the way 🙂 I own one item from the Market Place, the CRJ, and almost never have more then 30 items in my Community folder. I use um and trash um. If I want the scenery or aircraft again, freeware! I'll download it again. I don't fly with Freeware scenery except in MP events that we host 🙂

But I am unusual in that way. Even in other sim(s), XP-11, FSX,FSX-SE, etc... I guess you could say I have OCD in this case, DUH! 🙂

Edited by in2tech

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

5 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Asobo may be getting ready for MSFS on the XBOX later this year after the DX12 update.

Makes sense right? Smaller foot print on an X-Box, and our PC's? That's cool! And they need room for 3rd party stuff too. What amount of storage comes with an X-Box? And isn't there an SSD you can add or something?

Edited by in2tech

Is a possible to move addons to another ssd if the 500GB gets full? Has that any disadvantages?

I have the option to buy a m.2 SSD 7000mb/s with 500GB for 54$ or a 1TB for 124$. Right now I have a m.2 SSD with 3400mb/s

Therefore I am pondering if it would make sense to buy the faster SSD. I also have a 500GB regular SSD.

What about this plan:

1TB m.2 SSD 7000mb/s for OS, programs and MSFS.

1TB m.2 SSD 3400m/s as an option for further MSFS content. Or could I use this even for a cache for adobe lightroom??

500GB SSD for personal stuff.

Photos: 4TB HDD.

6 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Is a possible to move addons to another ssd if the 500GB gets full? Has that any disadvantages?

I have the option to buy a m.2 SSD 7000mb/s with 500GB for 54$ or a 1TB for 124$. Right now I have a m.2 SSD with 3400mb/s

Therefore I am pondering if it would make sense to buy the faster SSD. I also have a 500GB regular SSD.

What about this plan:

1TB m.2 SSD 7000mb/s for OS, programs and MSFS.

1TB m.2 SSD 3400m/s as an option for further MSFS content. Or could I use this even for a cache for adobe lightroom??

500GB SSD for personal stuff.

Photos: 4TB HDD.

Do you have MSFS now? On the 500 GB SSD? Or are you just now buying it?

Just now, in2tech said:

Do you have MSFS now? On the 500 GB SSD? Or are you just now buying it?

I have the Game Pass. MSFS runs on the 1TB m.2 SSD 3400mb/s

10 minutes ago, in2tech said:

Makes sense right? Smaller foot print on an X-Box, and our PC's? That's cool! And they need room for 3rd party stuff too. What amount of storage comes with an X-Box? And isn't there an SSD you can add or something?

Yes you may hear more on this in the coming weeks E3 XBOX event , and Asobo have put a write up on the XBOX addons in the last update.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I would just take the plunge and get a 1TB.  I remember chasing my tail with FSX many years ago. It was horrible having to delete something so you can put something else on.  

It is the only answer really.  This sim and its add-ons is going to get larger over the next few years!  :biggrin:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.