Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

My love of Piper a/c continues...the Malibu...

A short while ago, I'd posted about the Piper Cheyenne III (PA-42), and the post was well-received by the (local) Piper Twin aficionados, around here...🙂....I, myself, find the Piper Twins fascinating. As I'd noted there, the PA-23 Apache (later called Aztec) was the first ever twin-engined aircraft made by Piper, that had initiated Piper's (legendary and prolific) twin tradition. Here, for this post, I switch gears, and move to another special Piper, but a "single-prop". The PA-46T Malibu (also from Carenado), I've not flown in ages, and thought of it today. The PA-46 was initially prototyped as piston-powered and un-pressurized, however, Piper had to later correct for both of these shortcomings, in the face of stiffening competition. Piper (Malibu) Meridian would be the Turboprop evolution of Piper Malibu.

The PA-46 would hold the distinction of being Piper's first, and, overall, only the 3rd single-engined piston a/c, in the history of civilian aviation, with a pressurized cabin, following in the footsteps of Mooney M22 and Cessna P210 Centurion. The very first variant (-310P) of the Malibu would go on to establish multiple world speed records. The (popular and luxurious) JetPROP variant (subject of this post, see JetPROP marking on the fuselage, and interior (leather) cabin screenshots, below) is an aftermarket turbine conversion (with P&W PT6A - see close-up shots of the PT6A engine) for the Malibu (the original Malibu had Lycoming 540). To this end, Piper had to also re-design (and expand) the fuselage and tail of the original Malibu. The cockpit in this P46T, here, exudes "glass"...and, I've made it even more "glassy"...🙂...by adding a (touchscreen) custom GTN 750 Pop-up (see images below), for my own convenience, to aid me, in the somewhat daunting (at least, for me) assignment, I've selected for today...!

For this post, I wished to challenge myself a bit, by exploring a RNAV (GPS) Approach into PAJN (Juneau) airport, one of my favorite places to visit, in the SIM. So, in this test flight, I've lifted off PAJN (Juneau) Airport Rwy 26, and headed (Direct) to Fix NIMLE (IAF for "RNAV (GPS) V RWY 8" Approach) located (~17 nm) Southwest of the airport, and, then, have followed the same approach, back to Rwy 08 via (IF) OGEME (3,400 ft), (FAF) MENAE (2,700 ft), tracking 070 degrees to MOLRE (Missed Approach Point), and, finally, from 2.2 nm out, flying visual to the airport (the final approach course offset being 15.2 degrees). I've input this RNAV approach into the in-built GNS530 (for practice - see image), but have taken advantage of the guidance from the large GTN 750 Pop-up to navigate to MOLRE, before eventually aligning for Rwy 08 (Rwy heading being 85 degrees). The final part, prior to TD,  was somewhat tricky...especially for this virtual pilot...but, I made it in OK...(please see concluding screenshots). If you've never tried this Juneau Approach in the SIM, I recommend it (there is a small hill fairly close to the Rwy 08 threshold, that, one must be mindful of, and of course, there is no shortage of other (dangerous) hills and mountains, in the vicinity of Juneau airport...see Approach plate shots)...

BTW, I've also shown a few screenshots (1st 3 images), below, of this "RNAV (GPS) V RWY 8" Approach from an (advance) prep exercise using my Garmin Trainer (so, that flight is absolutely stress-free, of course,...🙂...), with the (highly fictitious) a/c being seen successively traversing the Fixes (NIMLE->OGEME->MENAE->MOLRE), all these Fixes nicely shown on the GTN MAP. The Garmin trainer is, indeed, quite an instructive tool for self-learning, especially when coupled with its in-built database of Approach charts (if available)...! The MAP automatically inserts relevant "cut-away" part of the approach plate under the active a/c route, and also re-scales the MAP for clear visual and situational awareness...(note e.g. the land-masses around and nearby Juneau, while thus approaching from southwest of the airport)....!

Hope you enjoy these pictures of this (sharp looking) Piper, landing in Juneau Rwy 08....! Good flying,...with your brand-new DC-6...🙂...!

[Carenado (PA-46T), Orbx (PAJN), RXP (GTN750), REX]

wYihOH.png

4MFgbk.png

qhdbFU.png

XR372r.png

bUoN7C.png

mBJtgp.png

HKjv7U.png

4giO7y.png

T4k8oW.png

ouC4ah.png

QKJbV2.png

MzT4Vc.png

iTmlpa.png

L6XswS.png

kqbsFB.png

oIqv4s.png

guVxtY.png

NYBQuJ.png

JANpHu.png

1zaDjS.png

• Like 4

Awesome set

• Like 1

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Thanks,....Alaska738, Crosswind, and Frank...!!

• Like 1

Realy fine set of shots - thumps up !

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Nice shots, brings back memories for me now seeing FSX. Gave me years of fun. Thats a nice airport addon that you got there also (the destination). 

• Like 1

Thank you,...pmplayer, Throttleup...for the additional comments...!!

50 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

Thats a nice airport addon that you got there...

Yes, agree, Juneau is a well-done airport add-on by Orbx...with good details all-around...

• Upvote 1