Sign in to follow this  
Vali

MSFS 2020 matching CPU and GPU

Hello guys,

I have updated my PC from the i9-7900x and EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 to the AMD Ryzen 5900X and EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra.

With the A320 at default EDDN, I get some 40+ fps (at 4K, not all settings to max). Usually I see that in Dev Mode it says that it is limited more by the main thread.

The CPU load is at 22-25% (5900X is in OC) and GPU between 90-95%.

Can be achieved in this configuration 60 stable fps? I mean are my settings too high for 60 fps with this system or have to tweak somewhere else? 

Thanks!

These settings are also used by Chewwy with the RTX 3080.

QSMTrqO.jpg

7DIG5XN.jpg

XEE5MSg.jpg

Edited by Vali

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

Vali,

I do not really understand the pursuit of 60fps.  

I have the AMD 3900x and a GTX1080ti.  All my settings are on ultra and I am achieving 30-35 FPS in VR mode. It is stable with no stuttering but occasionally I get the egg timer but I think that is related to the internet. This is using a 1080p 40 inch monitor.

With your set up I do not see why you cannot achieve the same or very much better with all your settings on ultra instead of dialling them back to high or off as you have it now.

I believe that stability and clarity should be your main object rather than the most frames.  There is, in my opinion, no difference between 30 and 60 FPS if you are achieving the stable performance at highest settings.

By the way, we are promised very big increases in performance with the next sim update on the 27th July.

Regards,

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I do not pursuit it 🙂 Just wanted to know if it is plausible/achievable.

30 stable fps are just fine at 4K 🙂 and I get around 40. After some settings now limitation is on the GPU.

I just want to optimize and have some buffer, no idea what 3rd party addons will bring.

Yes, looking forward for that update.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

4 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

This is using a 1080p 40 inch monitor.

The OP is on 4K. That resolution is hugely taxing on any system.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

2 hours ago, speedyTC said:

The OP is on 4K. That resolution is hugely taxing on any system.

speedTC,

That is precisely why I mentioned my set up is 1080p.  I do know that 4K and even 2K is far more taxing than 1080p.  

All I was trying to say is that with that setup, the OP should be able to achieve a very stable 30FPS using 4K and sliders to the right. If he could achieve that, then getting anything above the 30FPS would just be a bonus with no further real benefits "that I can see."  I could well be wrong with that assessment though.

I think it all depends on what we want out of our sims but to me the priority is stable, non-stuttering and very good graphics.  All of this is achieved on my system (except for about a week after any update LOL) I have now gone totally VR (quest 2) and I am getting 30-37FPS.  I am quite sure that if I upgraded to the PIMAX 8K I would be downgrading my performance to a stutterfest slide show.

Regards

Tony  

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

7 hours ago, Vali said:

I do not pursuit it 🙂 Just wanted to know if it is plausible/achievable.

30 stable fps are just fine at 4K 🙂 and I get around 40. After some settings now limitation is on the GPU.

I just want to optimize and have some buffer, no idea what 3rd party addons will bring.

Yes, looking forward for that update.

Vali,

Mate one thing I did notice is that your PC settings are really rather low in comparison to mine.  May I suggest that you look at some youtube videos which specifically address a few things that you can tweak Jays2cents and Overkill productions are just two that taught me quite a bit particularly when it comes to VR settings.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

2 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Vali,

Mate one thing I did notice is that your PC settings are really rather low in comparison to mine.  May I suggest that you look at some youtube videos which specifically address a few things that you can tweak Jays2cents and Overkill productions are just two that taught me quite a bit particularly when it comes to VR settings.

Regards

Tony

I have used as basis the settings from Chewwy. But I have raised them (I had a look at Q8Pilot settings who has a RTX 3090, so almost similar in performance with the 3080Ti, same chip, only the VRAM is twice as much) and I have noticed not such a big loss, is still mostly above 30fps.

He uses 1440p though.  The difference between 1080p and 4K is the GPU task 🙂, the CPU makes not a big difference anymore. So I will put the 3080Ti to the paces 🙂

Regards,

Vali

Edited by Vali
  • Like 1

Valentin Rusu