Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

Antialiasing

9 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

You have a decent rig - find a nice RTX 2080 for a good price (forget the 30 series prices are stupid) and that will get you where you need to be with that monitor

My RTX EVGA 2080 Super is running my Sony 43" 4k native nicely - certainly can handle your monitor 

Thanks Richard, 

guess I’ll play around with settings.

till I get my 3090.

waiting patiently as to get a good price for one.

or let’s see what the 27th brings lol

cheers

mike

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

find a nice RTX 2080 for a good price

Where?  I passed up on a 3070 today for $1,080 and have not seen a 2080 ti for that price.  Still waiting for 3080 or later...

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

or let’s see what the 27th brings lol

+1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Where?  I passed up on a 3070 today for $1,080 and have not seen a 2080 ti for that price.  Still waiting for 3080 or later...

Haven't looked Frank are you kidding me they are smashing people in the face for a 2080 also Ill have to look - dang thigs are messed up these days

Edited by Richard Sennett
  • Like 2

Rich Sennett

1 minute ago, Richard Sennett said:

Haven't looked Frank are you kidding me they are smashing people in the face for a 2080 also Ill have to look - dang thigs are messed up these days

I picked up an eBay 1070 ti last fall for my new system as I only had a 970 in the previous system.  The 1070 ti 8 GB for $270 to my door looks like a miracle now!

• Like 2

Frank Patton
ASUS 

20 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I picked up an eBay 1070 ti last fall for my new system as I only had a 970 in the previous system.  The 1070 ti 8 GB for $270 to my door looks like a miracle now!

EBAY - quick look - You can get a RTX2080 Super used for around $750 - $850 new with a watecooler attached

RTX 3060 for $775

RTX 3080 for $1250

RTX 3090 for $2,350  YAH RIGHT

Edited by Richard Sennett

Rich Sennett

15 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I picked up my 3070 just before XMAS for around $US600  and people at the time were saying I was crazy and If I waited prices would drop and that a ti version would be out soon with twice the VRAM anyway  😄

• Like 2

Just now, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I picked up my 3070 just before XMAS for around $US600  and people at the time were saying I was crazy and If I waited prices would drop and that a ti version would be out soon with twice the VRAM anyway  😄

Nice job Glenn 🙂 

Rich Sennett

1 minute ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Glenn what do you think of the 3000 series ? thanks 

Rich Sennett

18 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

Glenn what do you think of the 3000 series ? thanks 

The 3070 in MSFS gives me around 50 to 60 FPS at 1440p dropping to the occasional 30 FPS in really busy airports so I am happy with it.

In the one or two games I have that actually use DLSS and raytracing such as Control and also the RT only Enhanced version of Metro it is spectacular.  The normal performance of the 3070 is around that of a 2080ti but when Ray tracing it is phenomenally better.

The main issues I see with the 3000 series are they are a bit tight for VRAM and of course the over inflated pricing.  The cards themselves are great. I had a 2060 (non super) previously and this 3070 is a definite step up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The 3070 in MSFS gives me around 50 to 60 FPS at 1440p dropping to the occasional 30 FPS in really busy airports so I am happy with it.

Thanks Buddy - great info for my future purchase - far in the future 🙂 - I would have to re-design my hard tubing routing and get a new EK waterblock so would have to be a 3090

Very interesting observations especially the Ray Tracing

Rich Sennett

8 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

Very interesting observations especially the Ray Tracing

My impression is that for old school rendering like MSFS uses,  the 3000 series are a step up from the 2000 cards,  but still in the same ball park.   it is possible a seriously overclocked 2080ti for example, may even compete with a stock 3080 non-ti when rendering the old school stuff, no idea. The 3000 cards do render faster but the difference is not anything like double, we are talking 20% or 30 % better I think.

Ray tracing and DLSS is a different matter. I have not seen the numbers but I suspect no 2000 series card comes even close to the RT/DLSS performance of even the bottom end cards of the 3000 series.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Richard Sennett said:

EBAY - quick look - You can get a RTX2080 Super used for around $750 - $850 new with a watecooler attached

RTX 3060 for $775

RTX 3080 for $1250

RTX 3090 for $2,350  YAH RIGHT

Those may be current bids on active auctions.  As I just looked RTX 2080 Supers and TI's with at least a two-fan construction nearing end or buy it now are at $900 and above.  

Frank Patton
ASUS 

44 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Those may be current bids on active auctions.  As I just looked RTX 2080 Supers and TI's with at least a two-fan construction nearing end or buy it now are at $900 and above.  

Those were buy now Frank - I wouldn't have posted them if not 🙂 

Rich Sennett

Anyone manage to get traditional multisampling AA methods to work in MSFS? Even forcing using the driver seems to be ignored by the application.