Sign in to follow this  
Waldo Pepper

Process Monitor, omg the Bloatware.

I'm running the Win 11 dev preview and I've been trying to troubleshoot a process that is delaying windows shutdown.  11 was running perfectly,   I'm pretty sure I caused it by updating some software on my system,  I think either Asus Armory Crate or Asus GPU Tweak III.  (GPU Tweak III is pure trash)

Anyway,  that's kind of besides the point.  So I was using an application called Process Monitor or ProcMon,   just looking for anything blatantly obvious.   https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

I have an Asus motherboard,   Corsair Lighting Nodes,  and an NZXT Kraken Z73 AOI watercooler.   For the associated software,  I have Asus Armory Crate,   Corsair ICue,  and NZXT Cam.     I have ICue set so it doesn't even auto run when windows starts.

I can't believe how many processes all that bloatware loads.   It's insane.   Crate installed process for "patriot rgb dram",   "Kingston rgb dram",  "holtek rgb dram",    and one or two other drams.    I don't even have own any of those sticks,   but Crate loads the processes every time windows starts.   We are talking loaded into the Kernel.

Crate also has AI overclocking processes,  AI fan control processes,   all things which I prefer to do in the bios,   not in windows.   

NZXT cam has something like 10 processes.    All three softwares start processes that phone home to their company's servers.     The more I scanned through the  processes the more I began to hate bloatware.    Even when you uninstall some of it,   trash is left behind.     

I'm going to reinstall a fresh OS when win 11 drops,   and none of that bloatware is going anywhere near my system.   I mean,  I knew it was bloatware,   but dang.  Looking at it all is just painful,  when I think about how many of us are trying to optimize everything we can.   /side note: There is a setting in my Asus motherboard's bios,  which you can disable,   that prompts you to install Armory Crate  anytime you install a fresh OS.

I was instantly reminded of a video on the subject by Steve at Gamer's Nexus.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

There is a setting in my Asus motherboard's bios,  which you can disable,   that prompts you to install Armory Crate  anytime you install a fresh OS.

Can you say where that setting is? I also have an Asus MB and have been annoyed by that prompt.

Thanks,

...jim

PS. I suppose I could google it, but I'm feeling lazy today. 😉

Edited by JimBrown
Added PS.

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

6 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

I'm running the Win 11 dev preview and I've been trying to troubleshoot a process that is delaying windows shutdown.  11 was running

I just went thru all of this BS - I am down to armory crate and this: signalrgb 

https://www.whirlwindfx.com/pages/signalrgb

Its awesome and free watch his tutorial on YT how to use it pretty easy but you need to watch video

Trash that NZXT and Corsair word not allowed - this program is Amazing - and you shut off lights and such before simming with a click of a button

Go for it you will thank me - I only use armor crate for fan speeds otherwise I would trash that to

It has free profiles which are enough to keep you happy - the payware is just adding game themes and monitor graphics - dont need that

• Like 1

Rich Sennett

I had stutters on release day in MSFS. It took about three days to figure it out but I found a process related to lighting in my task manager. lightingservice.exe (I believe) something to do with ASUS lighting... I killed it and my stutters went away like magic. 

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

I run the freeware version of iObit uninstaller. It is nagware but not too intrusive. But it does completely clean programs out, much better than Windows Control Panel 'Programs and Features' Uninstall. It also show you every little item that it uninstalls for one program being removed. It takes it all out of the registry for the program being removed. Used it for years. Never a problem.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I've alway found black vipers site quite useful for identifying processes that we needed and processes that weren't.  It seems a little out of date though now.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Asus Armory crate is awful and embarrassing and rushed to uninstall it the first time I used it. I didn't think a ASUS would supply such trash so I was stupid and installed when I did my build.  It supplies nothing but questionable software and outdated drivers.   You literally don't need it at all. 

Edited by styckx
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors