Sign in to follow this  
ar_0

Third party weather

For those that may not remember the Feature Discovery Series before MSFS was released, here's Episode 2 and what we were to look for on release.  You may want to fast forward to 8:00 but watching this 10 minute video will take you back to the days we dreamed about ! 

WAT1460.png

20 hours ago, ar_0 said:

I wouldn't like to bring this post up again, but I just read this.

I realize I'm in a sim. However, what makes it fun for me, and many others, is how close the sim, or any other sim, mimics real life. This is not the case for everyone of course. I'm speaking for myself, and I'm sure that others, who commented on this thread and elsewhere, feel the same way.

"Accurate"-ish weather adds to the realism and immersion, that's it. It's not necessary to sim. But it is necessary to some simmers.

If requesting "accurate" weather was unreasonable, not so many people would ask for it, if any. But we did have accurate weather in FSX. Any flight sim veteran has at least heard of Active Sky and their brilliant weather addon.

This sim isn't even close to that, or to other FSX weather engines, such as Opus. Again, I'm only speaking from my experience, and there are many others who've had a similar experience to mine, as illustrated in this very thread... and elsewhere.

If you enjoy the current state of the sim, good for you. I, on the other hand, would very much like to see improvements.

Sure improvements are always good.  But if your local weather isn't accurate than manually over ride it in the settings.

58 minutes ago, Oldschool61 said:

Sure improvements are always good.  But if your local weather isn't accurate than manually over ride it in the settings.

I am not sure why you continue to state this in numerous threads on this forum.  Please please understand >> for those of us (I understand NOT YOU ! ) who fly on VATSIM  needing accurate speeds, fuel burns, making assigned altitudes (as instructed by ONLINE ATC controllers), it is imperative WE have real world weather which provides us accurate altimeter readings, winds (speed and direction), temperatures (SAT, ISA).  This provides a "level playing field" for all online pilots and controllers.

You may choose to fly ANY weather setting you choose, OK ?  We just want the weather that was "ADVERSTISED" before we purchased MSFS during the above cited "Feature Discovery Series". 

My problem is this >> Payware developers are allowed to access the SDK and create wonderful sceneries, aircraft, utilities, etc etc. which allows us to enjoy the sim that much more.  They can even take MSFS default aircraft (A320NEO, CJ4, TBM930, etc) and correct so many things that were wrong with the DEFAULT sim.  BUT  no one other than Meteoblue is allowed access to the SDK which could fix their horrible, horrible real world weather system.  WHY IS THIS ???   I like your user name and being an "old school guy" myself, I will get off my soapbox with an old saying >> TO:  ASOBO/MeteoBlue, "SH*T or Get Off the Pot ! " 

Edited by vcarlo
  • Upvote 1

WAT1460.png

I hope Asobo is listening,but i wonder if they plan on bringing back user defined weather because i think that's what really missing in this new version.I always still play with FS2004 more on my laptop than this new sim currently because i could create my own cloud types and layers,wind,temperature and visibility settings at different stations across the globe with the WX.file. 

• Like 1

We need something to happen.. right now in Sweden at FL200 +43C and the plane is exhausted.. 😞

• Like 1

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland

On 8/3/2021 at 10:04 AM, vcarlo said:

I am not sure why you continue to state this in numerous threads on this forum.  Please please understand >> for those of us (I understand NOT YOU ! ) who fly on VATSIM  needing accurate speeds, fuel burns, making assigned altitudes (as instructed by ONLINE ATC controllers), it is imperative WE have real world weather which provides us accurate altimeter readings, winds (speed and direction), temperatures (SAT, ISA).  This provides a "level playing field" for all online pilots and controllers.

You may choose to fly ANY weather setting you choose, OK ?  We just want the weather that was "ADVERSTISED" before we purchased MSFS during the above cited "Feature Discovery Series". 

My problem is this >> Payware developers are allowed to access the SDK and create wonderful sceneries, aircraft, utilities, etc etc. which allows us to enjoy the sim that much more.  They can even take MSFS default aircraft (A320NEO, CJ4, TBM930, etc) and correct so many things that were wrong with the DEFAULT sim.  BUT  no one other than Meteoblue is allowed access to the SDK which could fix their horrible, horrible real world weather system.  WHY IS THIS ???   I like your user name and being an "old school guy" myself, I will get off my soapbox with an old saying >> TO:  ASOBO/MeteoBlue, "SH*T or Get Off the Pot ! " 

I'm sure they are planning on improving its accuracy when they get the high priority things fixed.   I would assume the in sim weather online is the same for everyone in the same area if they use the same settings.  Remember your in a  simulation not the actual world.  You use the in game settings to make your calculations don't you?  You just need to adapt your planning to what the sim does.  

1 hour ago, Oldschool61 said:

I'm sure they are planning on improving its accuracy when they get the high priority things fixed.   I would assume the in sim weather online is the same for everyone in the same area if they use the same settings.  Remember your in a  simulation not the actual world.  You use the in game settings to make your calculations don't you?  You just need to adapt your planning to what the sim does.  

Well with all of this fallout I am for the time being back flying my earlier sim where all of this is working flawlessly.  Most around here tend to refer to that use as archaic.  Perhaps.  But it just works!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 8/4/2021 at 3:21 AM, petepawn said:

We need something to happen.. right now in Sweden at FL200 +43C and the plane is exhausted.. 😞

Global warming duh.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 10:17 AM, Oldschool61 said:

Remember your in a  simulation not the actual world.  You use the in game settings to make your calculations don't you?  You just need to adapt your planning to what the sim does.  

Yes, I think this is where we are going to end up. Asobo hopefully will get the weather model to represent conditions pretty close to what is present in the world, but it is not necessarily going to be spot on accurate with a real world METAR all of the time, or even most of the time. That is fine with me, as long as it is basically in the ballpark and we can access the weather reports from the sim this will work well for me. With that I can do all my fuel and flight planning. Of course for those on VATSIM where there are pilots using different platforms there may be a challenge, but I do not think Asobo has to address or solve that, and to be honest they have been consistently clear that they are not going to open weather up to other developers so those on VATSIM may need to find a way to adapt.

Dan Scott