Sign in to follow this  
coldhoist

Cannot Capture Localizer.

Four out of five of my flights, the airplanes has trouble capturing the localizer. How far out or close in should I activate the approach button? I am activating the approach button about 25 miles out. But I end up being about a mile or two off on approach. What am I doing wrong? It is very frustrating. Thanks

Are you using ATC for guidance?  Is this an IFR or VFR flight?  Normally, I would pickup the ILS MORSE code about 28 miles out and as ATC would give me a turn at about 30 degrees from the runway heading, that's when I would activate the APP/APR button.  If you are at the correct height, you should intercept the ILS at about 16 miles out to make the final turn towards the runway and intercept the Glideslope.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

25 nm out may be a bit too far from the localizer, most localizers have a maximum range of 18 nm and at that range you have to be no more than 10 degrees from either side of the localizer beam.  At 10 nm the beam width expands to 35 degrees to either side from the center.  Also, you cannot be too high or too low, altitude for capturing the localizer beam decreases the closer you get to the localizer.  Make sure your NAV 1 radio is tuned to the localizer frequency. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Which aircraft?  Which avionics?  Which airport?  Please provide adequate information to receive help.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Get the approach plate for the airport and follow it.  25 miles is way to far.  Generally considering a 3° glide slope, you should encounter the glide slope somewhere around 6 or 8 miles from touchdown.

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

I would say you want to be about 12 miles out and then press the APP (Approach mode) button. Then you should be able to capture the Loc with a 30 degree intercept angle just fine. Of course make sure you have tuned your nav radios to the Loc frequency.