Sign in to follow this  
Tom Wright

Stuttering/Pause every second

Hi Guys,

Just downloaded the JF Warrior and having some fun flying around local airfields in it.

I've noticed I'm getting this annoying stutter/pause problem which seems to have manifested itself each time I've shut the aircraft down having completed a flight. It hasn't happened in flight yet but I've only done flights of around 20 minutes so this may just be coincidence that it's always happened on shutdown, or something with the aircraft? Means I have to reset if I want to turn round and fly somewhere else in the same session.

Here is a video I captured of what's going on: 

As you can see, it's less of a general low fps problem and more of a very pronounced freeze every second or so. Memory usage and VRAM usage looks fine, so not sure what's going on. I thought it was the multiplayer maybe but I switched this off and it still did it.

Anyone seen this?

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Try to deativated the livetraffic in "Options Traffic"

I turn it at off and the pauses are gone.

Courios when I turn livetraffic back online , the pauses also gone, but came back a few days later.

But now I know what to do 😉

• Like 1

Stephan from Germany

My System

Ah! Thanks Stephan!

Just got the stutters again on a longer flight this time in the A32NX. Thinking I may have to abort, I went into the settings and turned off the live traffic, and the stutters immediately stopped. When I turned them back on, they came back. Strangely though, I turned them back on when I'd landed and shut down and the stutters didn't return, and I'd also been flying for a good hour and half with it turned on without any problem.

Is this a known bug then? We can't be the only people that see it - or does no one fly with Live Traffic?!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

18 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

We can't be the only people that see it - or does no one fly with Live Traffic?!

Thats what I am thinking also. I read all forums up and down and you are the first who got a simular problem.

I fly without traffic at the moment, but I am feeling a little lonely 😉

Maybe someone can help.

Stephan from Germany

My System

10 minutes ago, sal9000 said:

Maybe someone can help.

Hi Tom so I've had these micro-stutters when introducing third party content. VFR maps for example can cause stuttering but also aircraft or weather which model outside the sim and of course AI.

If you don't have any add-on's fine, but what you could do is rename your community folder just to elimitate third party add-ons. I've not found the sim to have any micro-stutters if you don't push it visually that hard and eliminate any CPU issues the sim can be very smooth even on fairly modest hardware.

1 hour ago, dtrjones said:

Hi Tom so I've had these micro-stutters when introducing third party content. VFR maps for example can cause stuttering but also aircraft or weather which model outside the sim and of course AI.

If you don't have any add-on's fine, but what you could do is rename your community folder just to elimitate third party add-ons. I've not found the sim to have any micro-stutters if you don't push it visually that hard and eliminate any CPU issues the sim can be very smooth even on fairly modest hardware.

I get you, I don't have a huge amount of third party stuff at play though. Have a few airports, most free, and a couple of aircraft but that's really about it. It seems really strange to me that this one setting has such a profound effect. Maybe I've not noticed it before as until now real world traffic has been very light and it's only now starting to ramp up, therefore the sim is showing more traffic.

• Upvote 1

Tom Wright

I posted about the stutters a couple of hours ago and didn’t notice this post a few hours before mine, my bad. I guess I need to look a bit harder. The problem for me and I’m sure many is that if we need to limit or eliminate third party addons to mitigate the stutters, I am not sure how much use I personally have for MSFS. Without airliners and big airports, I just won’t stay interested over time. Hopefully a solution will be found that works across the board.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

On 7/24/2021 at 8:54 PM, PilotPete99 said:

Hopefully a solution will be found that works across the board.

So you're not confident Sim Update 5 will do anything? 🙂

4 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

So you're not confident Sim Update 5 will do anything? 🙂

Cautiously optimistic!

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

I've seen this for a couple months now.  Looks like a return of the liveries stutter.  Happens to me with live traffic on or off.  Also seems more frequent with the DC-6 but is not exclusive.

My guess would be a liveries problem somewhere because it does go away when I turn off multiplayer data, but that's a true WAG.

AMD 7950x3d, MSI 4090 Supreme Liquid, 64GB@6000 CL30, MSI X670E ACE, 4TB Crucial T700 nvme, MSI AIO, Asus 43" HDR1000, Quest Pro, VKB gunfighter, Bravo throttle, TPR, IBM Model M keyboard, Shure SM58

One thing to always try is to reload the same plane you are in using Developers Mode menu. For instance its a good idea right after the flight first opens (I think it's Window, Aircraft Select). You just click the Load button (without choosing any plane, not even the one you are currently flying). Instead just click the Load button. You then can exit  Developers Mode if you want.

Reloading the same plane you are currently in sometimes works wonders. It somehow reorders how MSFS loads scenery during the flight. Or something like that. Anyway it helps a lot sometimes.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I just ran into this issue with changing aircraft in a session.  After loading a second aircraft in a session, the sim becomes unusable because of stuttering.  Are we no longer "allowed" to change aircraft without causing a problem?  In older sims, I would change at every airport, just for the heck of it.  LouP