Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

Hasn't anyone tried the new Direct-X version yet?

On the MS site, 2-2 was the release of the new DX9b or something... first update in a long time. A friend of mine says everyone sees great improvement in performance with FSX, yet, no one here or any other sites I know of are talking about it. What gives? If no one here has tried it, I am certainly not going to risk it! :)Peter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have installed it (Feb 07 version). 'Tis neither better or worse than the previous version in either FS9 or FSX for me.Gary

There is nothing there that will help either FS9 or FSX. No need to install it.Doug

I did the install earlier today and can not find any differencein the file dates reported by DXDIAG before and after the "update".It is as if nothing was changed. The version number reported is thesame. ( 4.09.0000.0904 )The latest file dates are from 10/19/2006 , which is about thetime I was forced to upgrade to SP2 for XP Pro.Although the date on the M$ site indicates 02/02/2007, I can not find ANY files with dates near that date. The install routineran without indicating any problems or errors.WinXP created a restore point at the time as well.My guess is you really don't need it. Paul

>On the MS site, 2-2 was the release of the new DX9b or>something... first update in a long time. A friend of mine>says everyone sees great improvement in performance with FSX,>yet, no one here or any other sites I know of are talking>about it. What gives? If no one here has tried it, I am>certainly not going to risk it! :)>>Peter> Peter, I've installed it just as I have previous versions with no problems. Most if not all of any improvements will probably not be seen. As far as risk there is none. All you need do is set a System Restore point prior to installation. If something goes awry then you simply roll back to the restore point. I'm not sure but I think it actually creates a restore point for you. Craig

Doug, FS9 and FSX are not the only sims or games that depend on Direct X. Craig

Indeed Craig. That's why I limited the response to these two games. I thought it safe to assume that, since this is a flight simulation forum, that the original question related solely to flight simulation games.Doug