Sign in to follow this  
ark

Is Sim Speed Adjustable?

Can you run MSFS2020 at faster than normal speed (time acceleration) as you could with P3D? I can't seem to find a setting for sim speed, and maybe that is not implemented because it would require faster downloading of scenery, etc.

Al

5 minutes ago, ark said:

Can you run MSFS2020 at faster than normal speed (time acceleration) as you could with P3D? I can't seem to find a setting for sim speed, and maybe that is not implemented because it would require faster downloading of scenery, etc.

Al

Al, haven't tried it yet, but I noticed time acceleration buttons in one of the Control items. Sorry don't remember which one but they are there, 

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

2 minutes ago, Pivot said:

Al, haven't tried it yet, but I noticed time acceleration buttons in one of the Control items. Sorry don't remember which one but they are there, 

Thanks Pivot, I'll keep looking.  🙂

Al

• Like 1

I found 'Sim Rate' under Control Options > Keyboard > Miscellaneous. The Sim Rate default key assignment is the r key. Now I need to see how, or if, Sim Rate works.

Al

Edited by ark

For anyone interested I found the below via GOOGLE ( https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/flight-simulator-speed-up-time-sim-rate-fast-travel-7043 )

• To speed up the time of Flight Simulator's simulation with sim rate, you need to press the R, then the CTRL and + key on the numpad.
  • To slow down the time of Flight Simulator's simulation with sim rate, you need to press the R, then the CTRL and - key on the numpad.

Though this is listed as R and then one of the plus or minus keys in the default settings, for us, we needed to also press the CTRL key for it to work. Try using just the numpad keys first, as that along might work for you, then try adding CTRL to see what happens.

Al

Edited by ark

6 minutes ago, ark said:

For anyone interested I found the below via GOOGLE ( https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/flight-simulator-speed-up-time-sim-rate-fast-travel-7043 )

• To speed up the time of Flight Simulator's simulation with sim rate, you need to press the R, then the CTRL and + key on the numpad.
  • To slow down the time of Flight Simulator's simulation with sim rate, you need to press the R, then the CTRL and - key on the numpad.

Though this is listed as R and then one of the plus or minus keys in the default settings, for us, we needed to also press the CTRL key for it to work. Try using just the numpad keys first, as that along might work for you, then try adding CTRL to see what happens.

Al

I found this default setup completely unintuitive, and just set keyboard bindings for sim rate increase/decrease to the arrow keys right/left.  I don't use it often, at all, but when I need it I can easily access it without having to access a largely undocumented primary assignment.

Edited by Sigwolf
  • Like 2

I use R. Alt Page UP/Down, for faster/slower.

This is assignable in keyboard setup.

You can also assign to buttons or switches on Throttle quadrants or any usb control unit.

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

So the MSFS control bindings offer Sim Rate, Decrease Sim Rate, and Increase Sim Rate. I don't know what the purpose of just "Sim Rate" is. Also I don't see any indication on the display what the 'new' sim rate is, so how do you go back to the normal sim rate ( I suppose you could compare the clock in the aircraft to your watch!  🤕 )?  If nothing else, I hope that when the sim is first loaded it will go to the normal sim rate by default.

Al

Edited by ark

You can see sim rate in a few frame rate utilities, I use one called something like shift-Z.

https://flightsim.to/file/16358/shift-z-stats

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

Sim rate is increased or decreased by hitting R and then keypad +, or R and then keypad -, respectively. The free utility "Shift-Z" suggested above will display the sim rate (and other information) just as it did in FSX, and can be toggled on and off. It is very simple to install.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cobalt said:

Sim rate is increased or decreased by hitting R and then keypad +, or R and then keypad -, respectively.

I tried that but could not get it to work for some reason.  Using the Increase and Decrease Sim Rate bindings does work for me, however.

Al

Edited by ark

1 hour ago, ark said:

tried that but could not get it to work for some reason. 

you have to hold control when hitting + and -

Though you already did something easier.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tuskin38 said:

you have to hold control when hitting + and -

Thanks for the response, but I did try all those variations. Very strange, but just doesn't work for me. The Increase and Decrease Sim Rate bindings get the job done, so all is well.

Al

8 minutes ago, ark said:

Thanks for the response, but I did try all those variations. Very strange, but just doesn't work for me. The Increase and Decrease Sim Rate bindings get the job done, so all is well.

Al

There is an add-on called "Sim Rate Bandit" that works really well for me.  It is vocal "Sim rate 1"  "Sim Rate 2" etc. etc.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I assigned sim rate up/down to the page up and page down keys and installed that shift-z add-on, which makes it fairly usable. You can also ask, Multi-Crew Experience to display sim rate via voice command too, which is another useful thing to have. It does get a bit wild at high rates and there is a limit on how much you can crank it up when the autopilot is engaged, but apart from that, it's okay. If you don't want to use shift-z or some other add-on, you can gauge the rate of the chronometer second hand if you are using an aeroplane which has one of those on its panel, or the digital clock on a GPS unit or PFD.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here