Sign in to follow this  
Guest GOZR

MS - As time goes by, stuttering gets worse ...

When flying short distances, meaning less time flying, all is ok; no stuttering. Like KPHL to KJFK.When flying long distances, meaning more time flying, stuttering starts to happen and it gets worse as time goes by. Like KPHL to KLAX.CPU usage is around 50% to 55%.MEM usage is around 1.1 gig to 1.4 gig.No heat problems.Any ideas?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You will notice EXTREME stuttering at exactly 30 minutes after starting FSX and again at the 1-hour, 2-hour, 3-hour marks. This is due to thousands of disk access cycles that I believe are related to the "validation" process. I can watch the clock as I fly and know when these conditions will occur. My frame rate drops to sub-single-digit conditions and as I move my head with TrackIR the view will be "stuck" for 1-3 seconds. These conditions last for 5 seconds or so at the 30 minute mark and for 10-15 seconds or more at the hour marks. I've documented this and sent it on to M$. Hopefully something will be done to either eliminate or at least minimize these disk thrashings. If you have a fast RAID setup you may not notice the extreme stutters that I do with an "average" single disk arrangement. If you run FileMon, set a filter on all operations to "CryptoRSA". That should show you what I'm seeing. There will be thousands of accesses to that area when you first start FSX, again at the times I indicated, and once again when you shut down FSX. I just wonder what goes on in Vista, with all the "protect Hollywood at all costs" programming that's built in..... Paul PS: The previous reply refers to posts that I initiated over there on Pete's forum. Seems the previous poster wrote that as I was creating this post :)

I get stuttering after about 30 mins, and it simply gets worse as flight time increases. This is a common problem. It happens to everyone I fly with. It's much worse if you leave the area you takeoff from. For example, flights from London to Paris in a B17 result in unplayable stuttering by the time (actually well before) Paris is reached. This happens with or without addons, including FSUIPC.Core2 Duo e6600 @ 3.6 water cooled (400.9)2 gigs Crucial Ballistix @ 1000mhz (2.5 mult)Gforce 7900XT 512 ramSata2 300gb SeagateWinXP and WinXP64 (dual boot, happens on both)Audigy4 ZSFPS start out fine (30-60 depending on where I'm looking).. and slowly stutter away.

Add me to the list of gradual stuttering sufferers. It becomes particularly noticable and annoying when panning quickly a fair way right or left. If I save my flight then reload FSX, its all good again for the next 30 mins or so.Gary

Well i too as the same problem but what I saw is that my stutters come later than someone with a Video card of 512mb since I'm using a 1 GB. After many stutters I decided to take OFF the "BufferPools" entry that I added earlier in the FSC.cfg file. Well it's better for shure on the long run.I really think it's related to a memory purge that should be made each 30 sec or so. something on that matter should be really look at .