Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Ptaylors blog news... Today

One of the more insightful statements by a software company I have seen in quite a while -- thanks very much Phil.Guess we will have to be watching closely the ATI DX10 hardware release.scott s..

Phil, I have just rechecked and it is the SLI section that is going beyond the RHM. Everything else is OK I am using IE 7.John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Interesting. I use IE6 at home and IE7 at work and it appears the same in each. I cant promise I can fix this, but does the trick of jumping in to the post mentioned on this thread fix it?

Hey Phil,Not sure the issue is on your side. But the above tip I mentioned works well.No worries. Thank you very, very much for the insight and the time taken to write that article!![hr width=100%" size=1 color="black]http://forefrontgrp.com/MyLogo2.JPGJason | General Aviation Fan

Worked for me, thanks for the tip.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Phil,Thanks for the additional info and the heads up on things. I really hope some of the Multicore enhancements make it into SP1.On a side note, I saw this today and thought you might find it interesting (although probably way too late for SP1, maybe for an SP2 down the line???) http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38019Also, from what I remember reading from Valve (sorry, I didn't see any of the links to the articles on your blog, so I assume we're talking about the same article) Valve ended up creating an all new architecture for making their games multithreaded and it has allowed them to get fantastic scaling (almost linear increase per core) while eliminating a lot of the headaches associated with coding multi-theaded apps. Here's the article I was talking about...http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu...e-multicore.arsAs you can see, it *IS* do-able, it just takes thinking about the traditional game loop in a different way.I'm not going to fault Aces for not being more multi-threaded. It IS hard and the current tools don't make it very easy (thank GOD I'm a Java programmer and don't have to deal with the #### of doing threading in C/C++!) I just hope you guys can come up to speed on some of these new approaches so as to take better advantage in the future releases... The days of a single core CPU are over and this is really how we're going to get significantly better performance over time.I also hope more 3rd parties switch over to using SimConnect for their interfacing to FSX since it doesn't run directly "in the loop" of FSX and hence can be pushed off to a second (or third or forth) core... FSUIPC does the job fine, but because it's in the loop of the FSX app, it has to stay in the same process boundaries on the same core.--Mike

Phil from ACES, can you peruse the "WOW" thread in this forum and give us your thoughts please. Thank you.

Eric 

<>Actually, FSUIPC V4 for FSX uses SimConnect to talk to FSX, so it should run be able to run its own threads and whatnot already.

Guest Thad

As a fellow programmer I share your view one what a pain in the *** it is to do multi-threaded programming at a competent level. As for FSX making the most use of multiple cores I came across one of Tim "Beatle" Gregson (ACES) posts on another forum and it appears backwards compatibility with DX9 may be holding them back some."At some point in the future, hopefully DX10 will allow us to move more code over to the second CPU/Core (since DX10 allows multi-threaded access to its APIs), but as long as we also support DX9, we have to code mostly for the lowest common denominator "While the days of single core CPU's are limited I wouldn't abandon the idea of getting much more performance out of those cores. It

Ahh, but who says that they'll continue to try to develop the same old technology 10 years from now? How much longer do you think it will be that we will look back on this silly semiconductor technology like we now look back at tube technology. I still remember my dad bringing me along and showing me a tube tester at some electronics store in the old Bradlees plaza in Bedford, MA, to see if the tubes for our television were still any good, and to make sure the new ones worked ok.Check out and listen to this story I heard back in February on NPR.http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7314502I don't think it will be too long before computers are thinking with light (20 years for the first commercial products? I dunno).Can anyone say Star Trek Transporter?Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg