Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How to change the default cockpit camera view in your planes

I would like to change the DEFAULT vanilla cockpit camera view in the C172. So that when I hit 'F' on the keyboard or push down on my Right Control stick on my Xbox Controller it will reset it to that. How to do this? I'm not talking about creating custom camera views, but to replace the default one.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I am not aware of the default camera keybinding being possible to change in game currently (aside from the custom views)  but if so I would like to as well.

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

You can change the default cockpit view in camera menu.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Edit each aircraft "cockpit" camera and let the Game options as default (50-50-50)

If planes are bought from MarketPlace, have luck finding a proper cam mod and change that "cockpit" cam

Manually position the camera using the arrow key bindings (and possibly the camera height setting in the camera menu if you need to get higher than the height limit). Then use shift-f9/f10/f11 to make the current position the default for IFR/VFR/landing view respectively. Press ctrl-f9 to reset it back to default.

• Like 1

You can assign a key to a custom view.  I always just make custom view 0 to be where I want my default view, and assign a key to use that view.  Basically instead of using the "default view" option I just use custom view 0. 

• Like 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

But what happes when you push F key???

That F key view is what we want to change

Edit: no need to press F key, just pushing again n your custom cam button assingnment goes back to default cockpit view, and that is the one we want to change

Edited by Alfye20
  • Like 1

Here's a step by step:

1.  Go into Options > General > Camera (NOT the in-flight Camera Menu) and make absolutely sure that Height, Horizontal Position, and Zoom are set to 50!  These are the global values and if they're not set to default (50), all of your future custom views will not save correctly.  This is probably a bug because it's counter intuitive to apply global changes all over again when trying to save a view; but it is what it is.

2. In Options > Controls, search for the command "VFR Pilot View Save" and assign a key binding.  By default, this command is unassigned... I assigned it to Ctrl + Alt + V.

3. Make a note of your controller assignments for  "Reset Cockpit View".  Default is Left Ctrl + Spacebar and/or "F" (I also have it assigned to the trigger on my joystick).

4. Load the aircraft of your choice and use the translation, look, and zoom controls to position the camera exactly where you want it.  When you have what you want for a default view, press the "VFR Pilot View Save" binding assigned in step 2 (Ctrl + Alt + V in my case).  Now, every time you press the "Reset Cockpit View" button(s), it will go back to this view and will NOT alternate to other intermediate views with subsequent presses... yay!

5.  Now that you have a default view defined, custom cameras may also be saved the same way using the associated key bindings... default is Left Ctrl + Left Alt + Numpad 0 to 9.  These views are recalled using the corresponding "Load Custom Camera #" commands... default is Left Alt + Numpad 0 to 9 

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to set individualized default and custom views for each aircraft you own.

7. To save yourself a lot of pain... never, ever, EVER change the global settings in Options > General > Camera again... forget those settings even exist... they are evil !!!

•  
  • Like 10

7 minutes ago, Alfye20 said:

But what happes when you push F key???

That F key view is what we want to change

Edit: no need to press F key, just pushing again n your custom cam button assingnment goes back to default cockpit view, and that is the one we want to change

Exactly this. I'm not talking about creating custom views or cameras. I just want to change the default vanilla 'F" view.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Les try @MadDog step by step, It should work but last time i used the VFR View save/reset on some addons aircrafts like the F-15, the sim crashed to desktop, so learned the hard way of create my own custom camera.cfg

Edited by Alfye20

2 minutes ago, Alfye20 said:

Les try @MadDog step by step, It should work but last time i used the VFR View save/reset on some addons aircrafts like the F-15, the sim crashed to desktop

Yes, there can be an issue with third-party aircraft that don't already have a custom cameras.cfg file defined.  To prevent crashes, try to save at least one custom camera for that aircraft before attempting to change the default view.  The cameras.cfg can also be edited directly; but I'll save that for another discussion.

• Like 1

Just trying on the Raptor, lets see

Edit:

No luck with the F-22 too... InstaCTD when saving VFR View, and the plane has plenty of custom cams saved already.

Edited by Alfye20

Let me know the steps needed to change the default 'F' camera. Do I need to edit a file or what? I am trying to change the default view for the C172 G1000

2 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Let me know the steps needed to change the default 'F' camera. Do I need to edit a file or what? I am trying to change the default view for the C172 G1000

For default aircraft, you shouldn't need to edit any files, just follow steps 1 through 4 above.

• Like 1