Sign in to follow this  
kazeekayo

Fenix a320 flyability for fbw users

I know it’s not out yet so who knows but can anyone speculate if you know how to handle the fbw A320 pretty much at a mastery level, Will you be able to fly the fenix a320? Or will it be a whole nother world? Lol thanks!

Edited by kazeekayo

You should be able to handle it, though I wouldn't expect them to be carbon copies by any stretch. What FBW is doing is great, but it isn't even close to what existing payware models have achieved let alone what Fenix is trying to achieve.

Edited by kiwikat
  • Upvote 2

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Probably. The systems on the A320 make it surprisingly easy to master enough to get it from A to B after a few flights. And in the FBW, apart from proper working VNAV implementation, most of the simulation for normal procedures are there.

Bear in mind as well though that the FBW is modelling a Neo, the Fenix will be modelling the 'classic' A320. They're not worlds apart, but there are differences so it won't be identical.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

52 minutes ago, kazeekayo said:

I know it’s not out yet so who knows but can anyone speculate if you know how to handle the fbw A320 pretty much at a mastery level, Will you be able to fly the fenix a320? Or will it be a whole nother world? Lol thanks!

The differences are akin to perhaps the 737-400 and the 737-800 with the A320CEO and the A320NEO. They're basically the same aeroplane in most respects and so long as you understand the gist of how to operate them, the differences are more in performance (up to fifteen percent better fuel economy on the NEO thanks to the engines and the better winglets) than how you actually drive the things, so it's not going to be a steep learning curve at all.

In super-realism terms, the most obvious difference is the longer engine start up time on the NEOs than on the CEOs with pilots often keen to crank the engines long before you get to the TRP, which is something I have to be mindful of at work, so that's actually a bit of a bonus with the Fenix CEO. I have been told the slower start up time on the NEO engines is to prevent bucking on the main engine drive shaft by allowing it to heat up slowly and let the bearings keep it straight as it gets up to operating RPM, owing to its lighter construction and the materials it is made from, dunno if that's true, but it's what I was told. Those NEO engines certainly do crank up a lot slower than the older CFMs, that I do know and the front fan looks a lot fancier and actually a bit more robust. Other than that and the winglets, you'd be pretty hard pressed to spot the differences unless you were fairly familiar with the cockpit.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I took some time with Boeing's FMC and other procedures and then I fell in love with it. This was several years ago. Thanks to the commitment of the PMDG. Likewise, I thank and admire the work of all this great FBW team with their precision and dedication to the AN32. I currently account for 90% of my time on FS2020. Welcome Fenix, new challenges and opportunities to do what we dream of, fly, fly

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

1 hour ago, Chock said:

I have been told the slower start up time on the NEO engines is to prevent bucking on the main engine drive shaft by allowing it to heat up slowly and let the bearings keep it straight as it gets up to operating RPM, owing to its lighter construction and the materials it is made from, dunno if that's true, but it's what I was told.

Any jet engine have this problem. Airbus initially witht the IAE V2500-A1. Heck nven the lovely Concorde had these problems... it's just getting more "extreme" with the newest engines.

Temperatures are getting higher and materials thinner and lighter - meaning the compressor shaft(s) is more prone to bend due to the indifferent cooling inside the engine, where the top part is warmer after shutdown.

Next time you push an A320NEO for its first sector of the day, it will not need any dry motoring required (since engine temp= ambient temp). Time the sequence and compare it to a turn-around NEO. 🙂 

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , Turbocharged, EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

10 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

Any jet engine have this problem. Airbus initially witht the IAE V2500-A1. Heck nven the lovely Concorde had these problems... it's just getting more "extreme" with the newest engines.

Temperatures are getting higher and materials thinner and lighter - meaning the compressor shaft(s) is more prone to bend due to the indifferent cooling inside the engine, where the top part is warmer after shutdown.

Next time you push an A320NEO for its first sector of the day, it will not need any dry motoring required (since engine temp= ambient temp). Time the sequence and compare it to a turn-around NEO. 🙂 

Interesting. I'll try monitoring that tomorrow if I can. Don't always get the chance, since it's usually only the BAs to Heathrow which sit overnight at EGCC on 43, but we'll see, Don't doubt it, but it'll be nice to see it in action. Vast majority of 320s we do turn around in an about 45 mins to an hour. 🙂

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

All the A320 I work are regular non neo and lately we have to air start a lot of them at the gate because of the heat here (las vegas) 

I use to hate the airbus with all the hydraulic noises and the noise gear turning and centering itself when you pull the bypass pin lol but now I like her

I would consider the FBW as a good introduction and a good feel for getting started. 
But the Prosim will have real depth to it and that will take learning.

I have a few 1000 hours in the FSL A320, but even I think am going to have quite a bit to learn. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip