Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Is the C172 Steam Gauge Trashed?

I don't know if something happened related to recent adjustments in the Marketplace to bring in the g1000 NXi update or there were hotfixes that ASOBO ran I wasn't aware of?  Something happened to the sim (or at least how my system and options were set up).

Having had no issues in the last few days I loaded up the C172 steam gauge this morning as I hadn't flown it for a while.  It was basically unflyable (or wouldn't have been in very good shape for a flight).  I had the following issues:

• Assistance Options - as I entered the cockpit, I suddenly had Assistance options and operational tips popping up everywhere.  I couldn't move my mouse without getting little banners that blocked everything and told me what controls were for.  I went back to the Assistance Options settings in the Options menu and found that everything had been turned on - I mean everything!  I had to go through the entire list and get everything back off.  Then, back in the cockpit:
  • Annunciator Panel Test - no longer clickable
  • Trim Wheel - non functioning.  I couldn't control it with anything - it just jumped back and forth from full down to full up.
  • Static Pressure Valve - uncontrollable/unselectable
  • Fuel Selector - unselectable/uncontrollable.  It was frozen on the left tank.

At this point I closed down the sim, then restarted with different setups:

• New g1000 NXi in/ g1000 NXi out
  • With and without the PMS gns530 mod

In all startup iterations the aircraft had the same control failures.  As a side note on strange events, the sim is now starting up with music, even though I have this turned off in the Options.

Giving up on the base version, I loaded up the C172 g1000 aircraft w/the latest NXi variant.  All was well.  Everything worked and I had a great flight.  I also checked out several other aircraft.  Everything else is working normally - all controls and systems respond normally.

So, it appears that only the C172S steam gauge is down for some reason?

Randall Rocke

10 minutes ago, RandallR said:

I don't know if something happened related to recent adjustments in the Marketplace to bring in the g1000 NXi update or there were hotfixes that ASOBO ran I wasn't aware of?  Something happened to the sim (or at least how my system and options were set up).

Having had no issues in the last few days I loaded up the C172 steam gauge this morning as I hadn't flown it for a while.  It was basically unflyable (or wouldn't have been in very good shape for a flight).  I had the following issues:

• Assistance Options - as I entered the cockpit, I suddenly had Assistance options and operational tips popping up everywhere.  I couldn't move my mouse without getting little banners that blocked everything and told me what controls were for.  I went back to the Assistance Options settings in the Options menu and found that everything had been turned on - I mean everything!  I had to go through the entire list and get everything back off.  Then, back in the cockpit:
  • Trim Wheel - non functioning.  I couldn't control it with anything - it just jumped back and forth from full down to full up.

In all startup iterations the aircraft had the same control failures.  As a side note on strange events, the sim is now starting up with music, even though I have this turned off in the Options.

Giving up on the base version, I loaded up the C172 g1000 aircraft w/the latest NXi variant.  All was well.  Everything worked and I had a great flight.  I also checked out several other aircraft.  Everything else is working normally - all controls and systems respond normally.

Just checked to be sure and not having any issues with the items you listed , everything is working. However, not using any mods either. 

Semper Fi 

47 minutes ago, RandallR said:

I'm also not seeing any issues with the steam gauge C172 -- trim works, etc.

Al

Does the autopilot in the steam gauge 172 work for you guys? 

Edit:  Strange.  The autopilot did not respond to any of the settings I selected but now it works fine.   Must've been mods. 

Edited by JMR

41 minutes ago, joec63 said:

Just checked to be sure and not having any issues with the items you listed , everything is working. However, not using any mods either. 

I also tested without any mods (except for Navigraph).  Again this is the only aircraft I'm having any issues with.  The only thing I can think of is that the Control assignments got messed up by something?  I'll delete and recreate the settings.

Randall Rocke

1 hour ago, RandallR said:

I also tested without any mods (except for Navigraph).  Again this is the only aircraft I'm having any issues with.  The only thing I can think of is that the Control assignments got messed up by something?  I'll delete and recreate the settings.

Maybe. With SU5 my mixture axis was reversed, while the engine reverse axis was lost.

A.

15 hours ago, RandallR said:

Can’t speak to those others off the top of my head, but the trim has been fine for me. It’s mapped to a switch on my yoke and I can use it with my mouse as well.

Biggest issue for me is sensitivity. Small input changes can result in big trim changes. I had to reduce sensitivity on most of the settings.

Yes, there have been some issues since the last "update," including the ann. panel and the fuel selector.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

I notice the trim is a little harsh now, but it works alright for me in general (steam gauge C172). 
Sometimes it is the randomness of MSFS and the amount of flights done in the same session, or in what order.

The NXi has been working fine for me lately, but after three flights in different NXi loaded aircraft last night, I got totally pink screens in the one! :biggrin:
I went back to the map screen and loaded in again - totally fine!  Just quirky sometimes.

PS. After loads of continuous CTD's, even after SU5 HF2, I have not had one CTD in five days and about 16 hours flown now.  Amazing! 
I did load the newer NXi, so maybe that solved it.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, neil0311 said:

Can’t speak to those others off the top of my head, but the trim has been fine for me. It’s mapped to a switch on my yoke and I can use it with my mouse as well.

Biggest issue for me is sensitivity. Small input changes can result in big trim changes. I had to reduce sensitivity on most of the settings.

I use the same trim controls for all aircraft (each assigned through its own profile, but the same).  I have a finger knob on the side of my TWCS throttle which allows me a great deal of control and I use 2 buttons on the top of my joystick for small in-flight adjustments.

These are all working fine on all aircraft except the C172S.  Now, the in-cockpit trim wheel indicator refuses to go to the "neutral" or takeoff position.  If I touch any trim button or knob and move it the smallest amount, the indicator jumps from full trim up to full trim down.

Randall Rocke