Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

Big WT G1000 NXi Update

20 hours ago, ark said:

MSFS G1000NXi uses a Navigraph database

This is only true if you have purchased and installed Navigraph data in the sim. The NXi uses whatever nav data the sim is using. By default this is the complete FAA database + the NavBlue worldwide database. If you replace the default with Navigraph you get some procedures that are missing by default and also lose some that are in the default but are not in Navigraph. They are both pretty complete, but in the US the default data is 100% complete because of the inclusion of the entire FAA database.

• Like 2

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

7 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

They are both pretty complete, but in the US the default data is 100% complete because of the inclusion of the entire FAA database.

That is interesting... My favorite test approach for Garmin GPSs has always been KTPA R01L via PIE... but PIE does not show up as an option in MSFS.

Bert

14 hours ago, ark said:

Clarifications, corrections, or additions appreciated

I think everything you said is right. Selecting Activate Approach from the PROC menu simply creates a direct to the IAF. It is rarely used, because you'd typically get vectors, but it is possible you'd be cleared direct to the IAF and then cleared for the approach as you near the IAF. The G1000 knows if an approach leg is active and that triggers some background logic irrespective of whether you use Activate Approach, sequence naturally to the approach or activate any approach leg manually. Usually if being vectored IRL to a straight in instrument approach, I will activate the leg to the FAF which provides lateral guidance for intercepting the final approach course without otherwise modifying my flight plan in a destructive way, which the Activate Approach and Activate Vectors To Final both do.

The only other thing that Activate Approach does, is it resets the CDI auto switch for ILS approaches. If you've already flown the approach, and gone missed, you won't get another auto switch on your second attempt without either reloading the approach or activating the approach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

That is interesting... My favorite test approach for Garmin GPSs has always been KTPA R01L via PIE... but PIE does not show up as an option in MSFS

I'd have to check why. It is available as a transition for LOC 01L but not for ILS 01L. That suggests to me that the FAA doesn't publish PIE as a valid transition for the ILS, only for the LOC.

3 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

I'd have to check why. It is available as a transition for LOC 01L but not for ILS 01L. That suggests to me that the FAA doesn't publish PIE as a valid transition for the ILS, only for the LOC.

If you do, please have a look at the RNAV R01L approach.. which is actually the one I meant..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

6 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you do, please have a look at the RNAV R01L approach.. which is actually the one I meant..

PIE is shown on the FAA approach plate for the RNAV GPS 01L approach with a valid altitude and vector to get to the FITPA IAF/IF, but interestingly PIE itself is not listed as an IAF. This may be because PIE is not "valid" for all directions of approach to PIE.

Al

Edited by ark

4 minutes ago, ark said:

PIE is shown on the FAA approach plate for the RNAV GPS 01L approach with a valid altitude and vector to get to the FITPA IAF/IF, but interestingly PIE itself is not listed as an IAF.

Al

It could be as simple as an oversight in the coding, or that the FAA doesn't see that as an approach transition, but Jepp adds it as a convenience in their database.

29 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

Selecting Activate Approach from the PROC menu simply creates a direct to the IAF. It is rarely used, because you'd typically get vectors, but it is possible you'd be cleared direct to the IAF and then cleared for the approach as you near the IAF. The G1000 knows if an approach leg is active and that triggers some background logic irrespective of whether you use Activate Approach, sequence naturally to the approach or activate any approach leg manually.

Very useful perspective on the use, or not, of  "activate the approach". Thanks very much.

Al

Edited by ark

56 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Again, if you are flying in VLOC mode, the GPS is not guiding the FD or the AP.. it is the NAV1 radio that is in command.

VLOC essentially switches off GPS steering.

Yep, of "course". 😉

This is just a minor point, and it has been noted elsewhere in the past, but the NOSE UP/DN logic in all versions of the G1000 including the NXi seems to be reversed with regard to the FLC vertical mode. It works fine for VS and PTCH modes, e.g., in a climb, pushing the NOSE UP button raises the nose, hence increasing the pitch and increasing the vertical speed. In FLC, however, the NOSE UP key increases the AIRSPEED which requires that the nose pitch down. I don't believe that this is the way the actual unit works.

This may be part of some WIP with regard to the NXi. In any case, it's already quite functional with regard to many functions and I'm sure more is on the way. Thanks so much for the effort..

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Just now, jrw4 said:

the NOSE UP/DN logic in all versions of the G1000 including the NXi seems to be reversed with regard to the FLC vertical mode

This should no longer be the case in a few weeks 🤞

🙂

Thanks again.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Trying to understand what i am doing wrong. I load a flight plan from SimBrief using the world map, load the aircraft (tried several), see the waypoints are correct, take off and at some point click AP, then NAV, but nothing happens. Nothing happens when i click VS and click nose up. 

What am i missing?

I deleted this mod and went back to stock G1000 and it seems to work in these areas as expected.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

1 hour ago, RobJC said:

Trying to understand what i am doing wrong. I load a flight plan from SimBrief using the world map, load the aircraft (tried several), see the waypoints are correct, take off and at some point click AP, then NAV, but nothing happens. Nothing happens when i click VS and click nose up. 

What am i missing?

I deleted this mod and went back to stock G1000 and it seems to work in these areas as expected.

Suggest reinstalling the latest version of the G1000NXi (from the Content Manager) with no others mods in the Community folder to see if there is a conflict.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ark said:

Suggest reinstalling the latest version of the G1000NXi (from the Content Manager) with no others mods to see if there is a conflict.

Al

You do need to deactivate the previous WT G1000 mod when running the NXi.

Bert