Sign in to follow this  
Overload

Maybe some sort of update poll , Fine - Tricky- Disaster?

Reading the unfortunately too common disaster comments re the latest update. Holding fire on starting MSFS for the moment - maybe some of the issues will be addressed, and waiting a week or 2 might be worth while?

But maybe the vast majority of updates go smoothly - none of us know?

Why not a simple update success poll?- Could someone tell me how to do it - or better still - just hi-jack the idea and post a poll?

Would be very useful - not just for update 6, but for every update - same old same old every time...

Maybe it's not as bad as the forums indicate - be nice to know?

Again, they could have saved a lot of issues if they had just stated update your Xbox App prior to updating the sim. for the MS Store versions. but hey, that's common sense.

Edited by Car147
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

14 minutes ago, Overload said:

Reading the unfortunately too common disaster comments re the latest update. Holding fire on starting MSFS for the moment - maybe some of the issues will be addressed, and waiting a week or 2 might be worth while?

But maybe the vast majority of updates go smoothly - none of us know?

Why not a simple update success poll?- Could someone tell me how to do it - or better still - just hi-jack the idea and post a poll?

Would be very useful - not just for update 6, but for every update - same old same old every time...

Maybe it's not as bad as the forums indicate - be nice to know?

A poll on a forum will never give you an acurate result as all those without problems will be flying not frequenting forums  (in general)   however, from my point of view...  

one of the fastest and smoothest updates yet,  the new option for caching is a wonder..  gained a few FPS,  gained a lot of smoothness (even though for me SU5 was pretty word not allowed good),  improved LOD on the default settings, seemed to be more wind gusts around, especially on short final so actually had to do some work on the landing rather than let it just run in on rails.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is a high altitude flight to see if the ATC height stuff has been corrected.

Of course, others mileage may vary 🙂

Graham

• Like 3

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

4 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Only thing I haven't tried yet is a high altitude flight to see if the ATC height stuff has been corrected.

It has, thankfully!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sigwolf said:

It has, thankfully!

Thanks for that..  in that case, for me, excellent update 🙂

Graham

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

1 minute ago, Moria15 said:

Thanks for that..  in that case, for me, excellent update 🙂

Graham

Almost finishing a flight in Sweden, and so far no real problems. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Ohhh  just a heads up for all.. there is a nightlighting bug...  most won't see it if you use defaults, like me, but apparently, if your render scale is not set to 100 then there will be issues.  Less than 100  no lighting or not much,  over 100 ghost lighting at altitude..  The temp fix is set render scale to 100..  Investigatioins ongoing as to whether it needs a hotfix or not based on when next SU is scheduled for.

Graham

Edited by Moria15

46 minutes ago, Overload said:

Maybe it's not as bad as the forums indicate

It is very rarely as bad as the forums indicate.   For anything.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Car147 said:

Again, they could have saved a lot of issues if they had just stated update your Xbox App prior to updating the sim. for the MS Store versions. but hey, that's common sense.

I agree entirely.  They also could have streamlined the update process itself.  Even their own instructions, in the latest update, on how to download this version are inaccurate and misleading.  

But I think the point is to keep users floundering around among the Microsoft ads for as long as possible.   Could it be that they are more interested in promoting their other products than the convenience of their customers?

What other rational explanation can there be?.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

I agree entirely.  They also could have streamlined the update process itself.  Even their own instructions, in the latest update, on how to download this version are inaccurate and misleading.  

But I think the point is to keep users floundering around among the Microsoft ads for as long as possible.   Could it be that they are more interested in promoting their other products than the convenience of their customers?

What other rational explanation can there be?.

I am a little confused as to how it can be much clearer..

The first 4 lines of the update notes state :-

Status: Live on Microsoft Store (509,8MB), Xbox (7,44GB) and Steam (282MB).

Ensure you have the Xbox app installed to get the update from the Microsoft Store.

Installation manager sizes: Standard: 2.67GB | Deluxe: 4.74GB | Premium Deluxe: 7.08GB

Remember to download the World Update (5,1GB) from the Marketplace!

Graham

No issues at all for me with the update. Guess I must have lucked out with whatever xbox or other updates were needed first.

A few test flights in various locations and aircraft: No stutters, no pop ins when panning, and best of all (so far anyway) no ctd when zooming in on the world map. Definitely happy that seems to be fixed now.

It might be my imagination, but it seems as though they've increased the turbulence. Absolutely fantastic effect in hilly terrain and if there are gusts forecast.

So far, my verdict... An excellent update. Thanks, Asobo. You're continually making this sim even better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FishBowlMan said:

It might be my imagination, but it seems as though they've increased the turbulence. Absolutely fantastic effect in hilly terrain and if there are gusts forecast.

I think I have to agree with you..  I was wondering if it was purely my imagination, but I did a couple of test flights after the update  (a couple of flights I test every update with) and certainly landing actually required some work to keep on track and in the air there seemed to be much more "bounce" than before.

Graham

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

What other rational explanation can there be?

Hmm.   Let's see, just off the top of my head...

1. An unexpected issue detecting updates on the PC platform post XBox release?
  2. Changes in the MS delivery infrastructure that weren't fully regression tested by that team?
  3. System issues somewhere on the MS platform that affected more than just MSFS?
  4. Just a bad day on a couple of different fronts for a massively complex orchestration of several different technologies and platforms developed by multiple separate teams in two or three different organizations?

Nah, it was definitely a deliberate attempt by Microsoft to screw with people by breaking their installs and making them look at, um... some ads somewhere?   I mean, I had install problems today, and had to try a few different things and reboot a number of times, and -- while my memory is degrading with age -- I don't remember having ads shoved in my face at some point during that process.

But, yeah, still, definitely yours is the most logical of all possible explanations.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

The first 4 lines of the update notes state :-

The download instructions on the official website say no such thing.  Read them.

20 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

But, yeah, still, definitely yours is the most logical of all possible explanations.

Hundreds of software designers manage to streamline their update process.  It seems that Asobo hasn't yet grasped how they do it.    There will always be apologists for shoddy workmanship but many of us are growing very tired of these oversights and miscoding.