Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Huge FPS drop when enabling Volumetric Clouds

Very strange issue, seeing it for a first time after a long pause with P3D.

When disabled, I see around 120fps sitting in a default Cub, on addon airport. With enabled volumetric clouds on High - 45fps. Ultra gives 19fps! Huge lags, unflyable. HWMonitor shows 100% GPU usage.
Installed 471.96 drivers a week ago.

Any solutions? I'm not even using high AA settings (using 4xMSAA). Should I change the GPU driver version?

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

15 minutes ago, Pe11e said:

When disabled, I see around 120fps sitting in a default Cub, on addon airport. With enabled volumetric clouds on High - 45fps. Ultra gives 19fps! Huge lags, unflyable. HWMonitor shows 100% GPU usage.

Any solutions? I'm not even using high AA settings (using 4xMSAA). Should I change the GPU driver version?

Wont be GPU driver but 472.12 out now and do shader cache Nvidia DDU uninstall etc cleanout before restart.

Edited by 40track

1 hour ago, Pe11e said:

HWMonitor shows 100% GPU usage.

Were you seeing this before using ultra?

If so, then there's your issue. I'm running a 3090 and get a serious hit on ultra as well. 

2 hours ago, Pe11e said:

What GPU do you use? Vol Clouds on Ultra is very demanding at your GPU. I'm running also a 3090...and Ultra is a very noticable hit...

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

26 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

What GPU do you use? Vol Clouds on Ultra is very demanding at your GPU. I'm running also a 3090...and Ultra is a very noticable hit...

The thing is that with a previous GPU (GTX 1080), I was seeing around 45fps with clouds on Ultra, around 55-60 on High. Now, well unless LM did something with cloud shaders in general, with a new GPU (1080TI), I'm seeing 45fps with High, 19fps on Ultra. That is a big difference. I also think that I was seeing much better frames with new GPU, something happened in the meantime.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

10 hours ago, Pe11e said:

The thing is that with a previous GPU (GTX 1080), I was seeing around 45fps with clouds on Ultra, around 55-60 on High. Now, well unless LM did something with cloud shaders in general, with a new GPU (1080TI), I'm seeing 45fps with High, 19fps on Ultra. That is a big difference. I also think that I was seeing much better frames with new GPU, something happened in the meantime.

Which was the P3D Version you used with Ultra Before and which P3D Version with lower FPS at Ultra after FPS drop or your long pause?

Between 5.1 and 5.2 the Cloud resolution on Ultra got higher. 5.1 it on ultra was 1024 and 5.2 on ultra is 2048. 

So there is a huge difference to reduce the blocky noise with volumetric clouds. 

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

10 hours ago, Pe11e said:

Delete your P3D.cfg file and let P3D build a new one.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Maybe u consider to use EA with legacy clouds - those are way better than waffle type pancakes clouds coming with volumetric clouds.

It is already rev.2 of P3D5, and those clouds still looks horrible...

Artur 

20 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Maybe u consider to use EA with legacy clouds - those are way better than waffle type pancakes clouds coming with volumetric clouds.

I disagree it was like that but now Volumetric clouds are so much better! Never go back to those 2D cartoon style legacy clouds for me!

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Yes, I'm using legacy clouds with EA off, the way I like it. I wanted to test EA clouds in VR, but fps hit is just too big.