Sign in to follow this  
1mikel151

Giving credit, where it's due

The "default" FSX Cessna Caravan...Have been flying around this evening in the new Glacier Bay freeware scenery for FS9 which simply put, is marvelous! For any FSX only "simmers", this scenery is an excellent reason to use both!Numerous stock FS9 airplanes are included in flight scenarios, one of which included the default FS9 Cessna Caravan. When this airplane loaded, I was quickly reminded just how much the default Caravan has improved since FS9. I've never been a real fan of most default airplanes, and usually switch to some freeware or payware. But while waiting for some new aircraft to come along for FSX, I flew the FSX stock Caravan quite frequently. When going back to the FS9 version, it's quite a jolt! The "new" Caravan rivals some payware with both it's exterior and a very well done virtual cockpit. It's feel of flight dynamics also rivals some of the best general aviation payware! Just pulling the yoke fore & aft, as well as swinging it side to side, brought about some very impressive movements of the aircraft. It's hard to describe, but the aircraft has some excellent feel of buoyancy in pitch and roll. This is something I have a tendency to do in real aircraft, just for the feel and response, and I'm duly impressed by the handling of this simulated "stock" model!Now...........if I just could use this new and improved model, with the new FS9 scenery! But regardless, this FSX default advancement, is quite an advancement from just a few years ago!old:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168475.jpgand the new:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168476.jpgL.Adamson

Hi Yes - the default FSx a/c appear to be a quantum jump forward compared to the FS9 default. I only have a 3 year old AMD2400 - but I have been quite impressed with the FSx demo. Even though I only get low FPS - so I have to turn most AI (except the small boats in the Carribean area - which I like to see)and Autogen off (autogen looks silly on my system - kind of "sparkles" , there does seem to be some indefinable quality about the flight experience. It appears much smoother to me and I like the cockpit movement.There will definitely come a time for me when I will be happy to update my machine and try FSx out. Frankly, for my purposes I really dont need too many addon a/c at this time because the default are so good!Barry

The FSX default aircraft are a lot of fun to fly, and also in my opinion well made. I agree.But I do think it's a bit chicken and egg though - the only reason we have come to love the default aircraft so much is that there's no advanced payware jets to distract us right now. :-) All I can do in FSX is a few circuits. For the serious stuff I'm always using my uber fs9 setup.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

FS9 with all the "heavy" add-ons and regional sceneries is a very mature simulation already. FSX lacks a lot of functionality compared to what I've got in FS9. GFX and performance, btw, with a few tweaks from the boards FSX is quite acceptable on my system. What worries me more is that it feels like there are some inconsistences in handling, autopilot and weather interaction. But we'll see yet when a serious add-on aircraft will be released for FSX. I'm afraid won't happen before a patch or two.

I think "all" the GA's look much better. Even though I own the Aerosim Beaver, I probally would have "bought" the default FSX one. It looks & flys good, just added a heading knob in VC and she was good to go. Would have been nice to have at least one amphibian in FSX though. Caravan or Beaver, both being better for me. ;)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168500.jpgI'm really glad they improved (and added to) the g/a collection, as its the only default birds I ever really "use" in any version. Simplified airliners without FMC's etc just don't do it for me, thus use mainly paywear for that. They only thing I notice about a few of the GA's is that they seem a harder to trim level flight in FSX for some reason. And I've had a couple of issues with the AP having a heck of a time holding VS. (noticed in the baron and beaver only so far) If its the last thing you touch your okay, but if you increase the altitude (prior to reaching it) you need to "re-set" the VS rate again or it doesn't seem to use it. It almost seems like it's defaulting to pitch angle instead of using the selected VS rate if you change target alt. Not sure as I haven't really looked into it that close, and I can't duplicate it every time.All in all MS is getting much better with the default stuff, no doubt. I just wish the turboprops(been using the caravan quite a bit lately with Cargo Pilot) would idle or taxi without having to mash the brakes. Even at idle with the prop at 0, and condition at 3% - you still rocket off and cruise along at about 30 knots. Think the same problem was in FS9 too. Can't remember but I thought someone made a fix in FS9 at somepoint, so maybe we could use it in FSX ?Garett

Excellent comparinson Larry and I agree, the new caravan is outstanding, as are most of the new aircraft in FSX. I remember buying the Feelthere caravan thinking it would be payware quality and be able to replace the default FS9 one, that was a huge dissapointment. The FSX version is much better than that one. Regards, MichaelKDFWNot anti FS9, just pro FSX!

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW