Sign in to follow this  
airlinejets

Ground handling

On 10/3/2021 at 4:19 PM, 109Sqn said:

I've learned to cope with most of the ground handling quirks over time (I have Logitech/Saitek Pro Pedals), but there's one issue Asobo seriously need to address: You're speeding up along the runway (managing the pull to the left caused by the props, where appropriate) when the plane suddenly veers left as you approach rotation speed! It's particularly fierce with the Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire Mk.1 which tries to head off at 45 degrees to the runway and it's near impossible to correct without over-adjusting and briefly heading several degrees off to the right of centre.

Prop drift is one thing, but it just seems to go from moderate to extreme, and not only with prop planes (which is obviously ridiculous). I don't want to go back to Rudder Assist, which I used before, as it defeats one of the reasons I bought pedals in the first place.

It is known that the Spit, as many other taildraggers with high power engines and narrow landing gear, have a high tendency to turn leftway at taking off, so it is necesary to trim rudder right at max, and use heavily the rudder pedal to get the beast centered at the runway.- Also you must help with right braking, managing the strange pneumatic braking system of british fighters (no toe brakes, but a lever at the spade type control stick)

On 10/4/2021 at 5:36 AM, Ixoye said:

Yes, rudder assistance is the best help at the moment, but it does not help much when it comes to taildraggers, they are horrible, the only one I can handle reasonably of the ones I have tried is Aerosoft C-140.

The Aeroplane Heaven c140 is one of the best behaved tail draggers in the sim - despite the annoyingly loud legacy engine sound that you need to turn down or drown out with Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller and a propensity to think the reserve mark on the fuel gauge actually means totally dry, the combination of that art deco 40's diner look and the way it is a pleasure to fly makes it one of my favourites for a short flight.

The Aeroplane Heaven mk1a Spitfire is also pretty reasonable overall once you get used to predicting that swing as you rotate and also the newly patched faired version of the Stearman is good except for the very last bit of the landing roll when it gets squirrely and wants to ground loop  (the pocket rocket mini-Pitts FM is a bit radical though).    Carenado on the other hand are awful.

Generally speaking a smidgeon of nose up trim helps a lot in MSSF with take-off on all aircraft.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick