Sign in to follow this  
Tom_L

SU6: Graphic issues introduced with SU5 persist

Since SU5 there is some banding (or rasterized color transitions) in the sky , clouds now often appear "artistic", as there seems to be a reduced variation in and between light and dark areas. Also the clouds tend to show pink and yellow/greenish banding/fringes. A purple pattern is discernable all over the screen but most noticeable in the sky.

spacer.png

The cause of this is unknown to me, but according to some threads I have read it seems reasonable to assume that there have been changes to the render engine of MSFS, probably involving a reduced or compressed color palette.

You think you are not affected? Try this: Check the reflection of the sun on the world map and compare to the picture below.

sCiSj76.jpg

I hope many of you feel like me that this is something in need of a fix. But as of today I'm not sure Microsobo is aware of the problem, although I can't imagine how it should have gone unnoticed for so long.
Be it as it may, I suggest to upvote this thread that has been going since SU5 but could certainly need more traction. In an ideal world, everyone doing so would also file a Zendesk report.

Thank you!

Edited by Tom_L
  • Like 2

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Very true Tom, but I think it is just a matter of priorities at the moment.  It's still a very long list they are working on, and not everything can make it to the front pages of their feedback snapshot!  :smile:

I think this is the Idea with SU7, and especially SU8 (the bugfix special) - they need to clear the decks a bit!

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

This will probably never be fixed. This is because they have tweak their color scheme and gamma for HDR. Windows/GPU does a bad job of tone mapping back to a SDR signal. This is why you see the gradient.  The only way to get rid of it is to actually get a proper HDR display. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Just now, fogboundturtle said:

The only way to get rid of it is to actually get a proper HDR display. 

That's what I thought too, but I've read comments of HDR display owners expieriencing the same.

1 minute ago, Tom_L said:

That's what I thought too, but I've read comments of HDR display owners expieriencing the same.

Windows 10 does a really poor job with HDR but Windows 11 is really good. Of course, if you are using a TV set instead of an HDR pc monitor , it will be even better.

3 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

This will probably never be fixed. This is because they have tweak their color scheme and gamma for HDR. Windows/GPU does a bad job of tone mapping back to a SDR signal. This is why you see the gradient.  The only way to get rid of it is to actually get a proper HDR display. 

I run Windows 11 with HDR on an OLED display - the banding is definitely still there.

2 minutes ago, DylanM said:

I run Windows 11 with HDR on an OLED display - the banding is definitely still there.

That is interesting. I wonder if this is the same on Xbox. 

3 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

I wonder if this is the same on Xbox. 

Yep, maybe someone knowing about that could chime in?

Could this be the same issue that causes the similar looking colour banding on the undersides of clouds?

Stupid me - Tom already mentioned it!  :rolleyes:

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Sorry folks,

I just had to bring this up again. Is this the graphics quality to expect from any game today? MSFS Homepage:

spacer.png

Please (re)consider voting here.  Thanks!

I do agree with the OP so have submitted a ticket and up voted.

• Like 3

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

On 10/21/2021 at 7:04 PM, Tom_L said:

With my Samsung C27HG70 I can see banding in SDR but not in HDR mode. 

20211031-052844041-i-OS.jpg

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png