Sign in to follow this  
meznaric

Good throttle quadrant with a trim wheel

I am getting a Fulcrum One Yoke and wondering what's a good throttle to go with it. Honeycomb Bravo looks pretty decent. Any recommendations? Ideally should have a trim wheel and throttle/mixture. Either vernier or lever will do. Ideally something I can fairly easily mount and unmount as I use the desk for things other than flight simming.

Edited by meznaric

4 minutes ago, meznaric said:

Any recommendations?

I also have the Fulcrum One Yoke and am patiently waiting for the Fulcrum Throttle Quadrant unit.  😉

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

Ha. Yeah I saw that they're intending to do that at some point. Would be quite a wait though, and I don't currently have an alternative throttle I can use.

I use the Bravo throttle quadrant and think it's a good option for a reasonable price. It's got a decent amount of flexibility with how it can be configured. The mounting is easy as well using the desk clamps. I use mine at my work desk too.

The Bravo's good. It comes with two clamps so it's fairly easy to mount/unmount from a desk. Only qualm is the trim wheel doesn't seem all that linear-- the tracking seems off to me so I'm not sure how accurate it actually is. Has anyone tested if going CW quickly 1 full turn gives the same amount of input as going CCW slowly 1 full turn?

I'm using a Fulcrum One with The Honeycomb Bravo and I'm happy with what it provides me with. I'm certainly keen to see the Fulcrum throttle once it's a reality, but until then the Bravo suits my needs. Quite a big footprint so make sure you have space.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

6 hours ago, bobsama said:

Has anyone tested if going CW quickly 1 full turn gives the same amount of input as going CCW slowly 1 full turn?

No it doesn't, but it's not a fault of the trim wheel, which is just a simple rotary encoder. MSFS (like FSX and P3D before it) implements some controls with an 'acceleration' feature built in.. I made a whole video on this.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

The Bravo is a nice TQ, but still extremely hard to fine right now. Love how easy it is to change to almost any aircraft you would want to fly! 

On 11/1/2021 at 1:08 PM, ark said:

I also have the Fulcrum One Yoke and am patiently waiting for the Fulcrum Throttle Quadrant unit.  😉

Al

Me too! I will sell my Bravo as soon as the Fulcrum TQ comes out..

Fulcrum One Yoke / FSProjects Airbus Side Stick, Honeycomb Bravo, Slaw Device RX Viper V2

Intel i9 10900K, EVGA 3080Ti FTW, 32GB RAM

On 11/2/2021 at 3:01 AM, MarkDH said:

No it doesn't, but it's not a fault of the trim wheel, which is just a simple rotary encoder. MSFS (like FSX and P3D before it) implements some controls with an 'acceleration' feature built in.. I made a whole video on this.

Is that still the case though?

HDG now spins at 1 degree per tactile click, at least for slow turns.

CRS1 also spins at 1 degree per click, at least for slow turns.

When I map CRS2, it spins at only 1 degree per click period, no matter how fast I turn it. (Might have something to do with having set 2 additional switches... Parking-On, YD-On, CRS, & +/- knob.)

So has the code under the hood changed for trim wheel to make it a faster-repeating linear now? Or is it on acceleration like HDG/CRS1?

6 hours ago, bobsama said:

Is that still the case though?

I don't know, I haven't run the sim for a couple of months. But I'm still fairly confident any non-linearity is in the sim, not the encoder.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I have the fulcrum yoke and also use a bravo throttle quadrant.

Ive been very impressed by the bravo, especially considering its price. I’ve not tried the autopilot functions yet but the GA set up works really well and the gear leaver is in just the right position for a king air , the trim wheel is great too. I’ve just added the Airbus throttle pack to it. 
It’s an extremely flexible  unit allowing for GA or commercial airliner set up to be swapped over in a mater of seconds.

The throttle resistance is good and has a quality feel to it, all in all very happy by the bravo, there’s a lot for the money.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.