Sign in to follow this  
MOD_FLYER

GOOGLE MAP FOR MFS2020

MSFS won't load in with the latest Google Map MOD.  I get to about 70 percent on the load in bar..and the program hangs. I go no further.  Has anybody got this to run?  I deleted (back spaced) the PROXY window before I hit the RUN and it is being run under ADMIN.

Post Edit,  about 20 minutes after this post, I got it working.  Happy with the results.

Edited by Sesquashtoo

Just now, Sesquashtoo said:

MSFS won't load in with the latest Google Map MOD.  I get to about 70 percent on the load in bar..and the program hangs. I go no further.  Has anybody got this to run?  I deleted (back spaced) the PROXY window before I hit the RUN and it is being run under ADMIN.

Are you on the MS Store version? Someone in comments mentioned they had success with loading up the sim first before pressing run.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

3 hours ago, Sethos said:

Are you on the MS Store version? Someone in comments mentioned they had success with loading up the sim first before pressing run.

Just edited to say that I got all working. Quite happy with the effort.

Cheers,

Ses

Edited by Sesquashtoo

40 minutes ago, urthgental said:

I am really wondering how long Microsoft allows this external injection of texture data. I mean this is really ‚core‘ element of their whole value proposition, with Azure, Bing and the like. 

Exactly. I see Microsoft squashing this rather quickly. Well said. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Post edit: So, if I run MSFS and then run the MOD and it doesn't crash MSFS, how does one KNOW that you are now running from the Googles servers and not Bing?  Is there some sort of indication other than, subliminal 'I think it looks different..."?

Cheers,

Ses

Strong indicator is the cmd window of the replacement software keeps spitting out download data from the Google server every time you move, that indicates it's downloading from the correct place. You can also check your hosts file in Windows, if it has added the two lines. If you're still unsure, just close down software while it's running, it should stop feeding Google data to the sim and it'll stop rendering terrain or throw up a "low bandwidth" warning and switch to default textures.

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 hours ago, Sethos said:

Strong indicator is the cmd window of the replacement software keeps spitting out download data from the Google server every time you move, that indicates it's downloading from the correct place. You can also check your hosts file in Windows, if it has added the two lines. If you're still unsure, just close down software while it's running, it should stop feeding Google data to the sim and it'll stop rendering terrain or throw up a "low bandwidth" warning and switch to default textures.

Got it working. Thanks for all the help, Sethos!

Edited by Sesquashtoo

2 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Google Maps is OVERWRITING texture blocks (I guess) from BING,  so I am getting texture loading even right below the plane. It looks as though the BING textures are being 'updated' and 'replaced' in real time by the Google.  I don't know if I need to put a CACHE setting (!?!?!?)  in the MOD box?   After about 5 minutes it seemed to settle down, and I only got the occasional texture pop in/over.  Is anybody else having that? 

Make sure you delete your rolling cache and create a new one, that contains old Bing data and will try to load on top of Google. Same if you switch back to Bing.

• Like 1

Make sure you delete your rolling cache and create a new one, that contains old Bing data and will try to load on top of Google. Same if you switch back to Bing.

Got it working now, and thank you!

Edited by Sesquashtoo

I don't think that is possible, because when you start up the software it writes to the host file, essentially diverting traffic from a different source. At that point there's no Bing data going to the sim. It can't send both Bing and Google in a session, need to fully shut down the sim and change the Hosts file to switch over. So if you're seeing Bing data, there's most likely a residual cache somewhere.

If you have it disabled, try creating one and disabling it again, might be a menu error and it's using some old small cache somewhere.

• Like 1

I don't think that is possible, because when you start up the software it writes to the host file, essentially diverting traffic from a different source. At that point there's no Bing data going to the sim. It can't send both Bing and Google in a session, need to fully shut down the sim and change the Hosts file to switch over. So if you're seeing Bing data, there's most likely a residual cache somewhere.

If you have it disabled, try creating one and disabling it again, might be a menu error and it's using some old small cache somewhere.

All good now and sorted! 🙂

Edited by Sesquashtoo

1 minute ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Thankyou Sethos...I'll then create one...and then end the internal cache..and try that...so you are saying so we are on the same page..that EVEN if I load that MOD after the fact...with MSFS running, that then the MOD will totally override any further download data from the BING servers?  So, then ONLY the Google Map Sever is then in the driver's seat?  So, that is what you are saying, right?

I have to admit, I'm not sure how capable it is of switching in real-time, it would be an interesting test.

My understanding is, when you run the .bat file, it writes two entries to the hosts file that controls where the data comes from. So I'm assuming, if you run the .bat file prior to running the sim, it switches to the Google data fed from the local server it runs. If you run the .bat file EFTER starting the sim, it'll use Bing. Just comes out to which server the sim finds and handshakes with, to establish texture connection.

• Like 1

I have to admit, I'm not sure how capable it is of switching in real-time, it would be an interesting test.

My understanding is, when you run the .bat file, it writes two entries to the hosts file that controls where the data comes from. So I'm assuming, if you run the .bat file prior to running the sim, it switches to the Google data fed from the local server it runs. If you run the .bat file EFTER starting the sim, it'll use Bing. Just comes out to which server the sim finds and handshakes with, to establish texture connection.

Sorted out, thanks!

Edited by Sesquashtoo

1 minute ago, Sesquashtoo said:

See, that's what I thought as well...so I think what is happening with me running after the fact...is that Bing is active...and then Google Maps is also then downloading ON TOP (after the fact and in conflict) of Bing...and that is why I am seeing huge blocks of textures being overwritten.  So,  truly, the only way that one can really use this MOD, is if you can first be run...and then as MSFS is initializing...it will then use Goggle Maps. The issue with that for me, and probably many...is that MSFS fails to load into the Welcome Scree. The busy bar goes for me, about 75 to 80 percent, and then MSFS just hangs...no further busy bar progress.  This is with the latest version downloaded today.

Did see quite a few mentions that people were having problems with the MS Store version, so not sure what that could be. I would also advise making a comment over on the software's flightsim.to page. I asked earlier, as I was having trouble getting Bing data after testing it and he replied 3 minutes later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sethos said:

Did see quite a few mentions that people were having problems with the MS Store version, so not sure what that could be. I would also advise making a comment over on the software's flightsim.to page. I asked earlier, as I was having trouble getting Bing data after testing it and he replied 3 minutes later.

All good!  Again, thanks very much!

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Upvote 1