Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Editing Airport Files for AI

7 hours ago, regis9 said:

Are the AI aircraft radius values generally the same as they were in P3D/FSX?  I used to have a good spreadsheet somewhere with generally used radii for common AI traffic models.

models yes, but all parking spots are -6m in radius because of the service vehicles....

• Like 1

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

8 hours ago, AnkH said:

Honestly, this AFCAD issues only show me that the lack of a proper AI traffic basis in MSFS is not only due to "legal issues" with all the airlines or aircraft manufacturers like Asobo wants us to believe, but mere inability to provide a good AI traffic basis. If it would really be just the "legal issues" that have prevented Asobo from delivering the "real ai traffic" they promised, they could have at least invested some effort to get those things right, but no. To me, the state of the AI traffic basis in MSFS simply proves that Asobo has no clue about what they are doing in regard of AI traffic and looking for cheap excuses why they did not deliver what they promised. Simple as that...

They have been great in most areas, but the AI system in MSFS looks like it wasn't much more than an afterthought for Asobo. Even their own AI operations are absolutely terrible. According to AIG the FSX system was much better so why Asobo didn't incorporate it into MSFS I don't know. I'm guessing it would have meant a lot more work at the individual airports.

Edited by desbean

I've spent the morning looking at this, I decided I wanted to improve the AI parking at CYYZ Toronto Pearson as a start.  The good news is that while issues exist in the default AFCADs around taxiing etc, the gate positions are actually quite well done in terms of location, accuracy and in many cases size.  I didn't have to add any new gates which certainly wouldn't have been the case with a default airport pulled out of FSX or P3D.

I went through and renumbered and resized the gates, then added airline codes.  Took a few hours but no big issue.  Now I'm trying to get it compiled which is where I've run into an issue.  Hitting "build project" without the sim running seems to cause ADE to hang...there is a message saying it will take some time to compile so I let it run for about 45 minutes but there was no output and the program was inactive.  With the sim running and connected it doesn't go into the same kind of long hang status, but there is still no outputted file that I can put into MSFS.

So on first experience it seems to actual editing is as I'm familiar with from previous sims, but there's something else to be figured out for compiling.  Has anyone else here spent time in ADE?  If anyone wants to have a look at my project file just let me know.

Edit: Reading through the link above for ADE there seems to be some sort of known issue with a compiler window not opening etc so likely my problem is that something is not compiling properly but I'm not getting the error message to know what to fix.  I've read through the various work arounds (and tried a few) but it doesn't seem to work for me...not something I'm going to spend a pile of time trying to figure out.  So if anyone has a compiler working with ADE and wants to give my CYYZ file a shot let me know.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

49 minutes ago, regis9 said:

So if anyone has a compiler working with ADE and wants to give my CYYZ file a shot let me know.

Haven't use ADE since Alpha 19, but I'm willing to give it a shot... I'll DM you.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Visited ZSPD yesterday, addon airport by WFsim. To my surprise, they obviously managed to get their AFCAD pretty spot on: some terminals had mixed intercontinental airlines, some were China Eastern only and all cargo planes were sitting correctly in the cargo part of the scenery. Wonder how they managed to do this? Singapore Changi in contrast is a total mess with showing almost exclusively Scoot planes and almost no Singapore Airline plane. 

The ZSPD example however tells me that a good AFCAD is still somehow possible, pretty relieved about this fact.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS