Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Raytracing

If your taking a hit turn off raytracing - its not that much different with it on but makes menu navigation and sim snappier - seems back to normal again after turning raytracing off

Oh man full moon at night make sim looks great - not fan of looking at a black non existent environment - real or not - boring to me 🙂 

• Like 2

Rich Sennett

I didn't think MSFS uses Raytracing? I thought the developers were asked about this and they said they don't think it needs it.

AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9 GHz Turbo up to 4.2 GHz

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB

32GB 3200MHz RAM 

1TB Crucial SSD & 1 500GB Crucial SSD

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, CH Products Pro Pedals

8 minutes ago, cooperwarner8 said:

I didn't think MSFS uses Raytracing? I thought the developers were asked about this and they said they don't think it needs it.

I think just like DX12 - they are implementing these features for future use and prob faster hardware in the future - make sense 

Not my video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wod4RP4cm-U

Edited by Richard Sennett
  • Like 1

Rich Sennett

DX12 without ray tracing brings frames back up to DX11 levels?

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 minute ago, scotchegg said:

Thanks Buddy

• Like 1

Rich Sennett

Not sure where you're seeing raytracing as an option unless you guys downloaded some super secret beta build?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

7 minutes ago, suncoastflyer said:

Maybe they're talking about raymarched reflections?

Maybe, but that is not raytracing.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

I live to summarize:)

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

11 hours ago, flyinion said:

Not sure where you're seeing raytracing as an option unless you guys downloaded some super secret beta build?

In the not-so-secret  %appdata%Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\usercfg.opt file

Version 66
{Video
    Adapter "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti"
    ... etc

...etc
    Raytracing 0     <-  change this to 1

• Like 1

Don't seem to be able to edit  the post, but just below that there is the 'PreferD3D12' so set that to 1 as well and you're good to be at the edge of graphical goodness*

If you change any graphical setting in the Sim's UI after this, it might set Raytracing back to 0. For sure if you go back to DX11 it doesn'y matter. Think once you try DX12 once, the stuttery-ness will have you back on DX11 in no time. It's early days yet though an nice to have it available to check out and for 3rd party addon makers too.

*depending on your eyesight

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 10:30 PM, Freq_flyer44 said:

In the not-so-secret  %appdata%Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\usercfg.opt file

Version 66
{Video
    Adapter "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti"
    ... etc

...etc
    Raytracing 0     <-  change this to 1

Marketing of the year: "yes we have ray tracing, here it is in our config file" 😅

I guess raytracing will work in conjuction to the sun, fog and reflections. I'm not big on either for the cost of FPS in flight sims unless its a PC game like Control. If they put raytracing into this game and you use it, your GPU will let you know.

Edited by MSFLYER5856

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.