Sign in to follow this  
BerndB

Legacy night sky with EA enabled after update 5.3

I have updated to 5.3 today and everything seems nice, so far. Except that the EA night sky is gone. With EA enabled i can see the old, legacy night sky with it´s unrealistic white dots as stars. Anybody else noticed this?

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

30 minutes ago, BerndB said:

I have updated to 5.3 today and everything seems nice, so far. Except that the EA night sky is gone. With EA enabled i can see the old, legacy night sky with it´s unrealistic white dots as stars. Anybody else noticed this?

I would post in the P3D forum so the dev's can see it. 

Eric 

12 hours ago, B777ER said:

I would post in the P3D forum so the dev's can see it. 

Of course, Eric. That´s what i did first. 

But, if you´re lucky to get a direct answer from the devs, it will take at least some time. And on the other hand i take into account, that i´am maybe not the only one with this issue and someone here has found the culprit already. In case no one else has this issue, it would tell me that the cause seems to be on my side at least. 

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

15 hours ago, BerndB said:

Unfortunately, LM has decided to revert the night textures with EA on, back to legacy. So it´s not a bug.

Other BETA Testers, incl. myself, have recommended NOT to do this. But LM, unfortunately, have decided to stick to their path.

I myself find this a step back. The TrueSky night sky with it´s better looking stars, where better in my opinion.

We had to "fight" quite hard to let LM eliminate the very harsh, bright and ugly Milkyway textures! This has been recognized and the milkyway textures got a lot reduced in brightness! 

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

oh my godness! 

if i would be aware about that, i wouldn´t have updated my SIM. I´am really angry about the fact that there´s nothing mentioned about this in their changelog, or did i´ve missed that. Instead they wrote about "improved performance" and "improved this and that" which is anyway not a counterable statement at all.

I´am asking myself what sense about EA would be left without the much better starfield of EA. Shall that be the new volumetric clouds which are unacceptable in their current status, with no dividing into different weather zones?? Or,....oops, what else could be put on the pro side, now as even the night sky is back to FS 4.0 times. 

I wish i would have heard that before i went thru the timeconsuming update procedure an to go thruh it once more to step back to 5.2. 

• Upvote 1

Bernd

56 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Unfortunately, LM has decided to revert the night textures with EA on, back to legacy. So it´s not a bug.

Other BETA Testers, incl. myself, have recommended NOT to do this. But LM, unfortunately, have decided to stick to their path.

I myself find this a step back. The TrueSky night sky with it´s better looking stars, where better in my opinion.

We had to "fight" quite hard to let LM eliminate the very harsh, bright and ugly Milkyway textures! This has been recognized and the milkyway textures got a lot reduced in brightness! 

Marcus

Marcus, because you are the transponder of this bad news, whos usually loose his head (well, in Britain it´s usual still, i think), i want to sent you my great THANK YOU, because you saved me a lot time in trying to find the culprit which isn´t one.  

(Ehrlich gesagt Marcus, auf die neue Textur der Milchstrasse hätte ich scheissen können. Sorry aber ich bin echt sauer, das ich mir das update hätte ersparen können, natürlich nicht auf Dich 😉)

Edited by BerndB
  • Like 1

Bernd

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

Marcus

Hello Marcus, did they do the same with day sky textures?

Sergio Naiberg

1 minute ago, SergioN said:

Hello Marcus, did they do the same with day sky textures?

No, they didn´t. 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

51 minutes ago, BerndB said:

Marcus, because you are the transponder of this bad news, whos usually loose his head (well, in Britain it´s usual still, i think), i want to sent you my great THANK YOU, because you saved me a lot time in trying to find the culprit which isn´t one.  

(Ehrlich gesagt Marcus, auf die neue Textur der Milchstrasse hätte ich scheissen können. Sorry aber ich bin echt sauer, das ich mir das update hätte ersparen können, natürlich nicht auf Dich 😉)

I am sorry to read this! I´ve checked the Releasenotes, and indeed, nothing is mentioned about this one.

But during testing, we had some "old memories" coming back, when seeing this. Especially seeing stars upt to the horizon didn´t make me happy! Also that stars are much to "dotted" and "bright".

Also the Rain and Thunderstormlightning are "non TrueSky" "again" at the moment (they are reverted back also). Actually that has improved this way, because they didn´t get a proper rendering in the sim with the TrueSky Rain (which is still a very minor/minimal or poor implementation)  and Lightning (Caution: only ThunderLightNing is legacy...not the normal lighting - without the "n").

My opinion is, TrueSky has it´s nice atmospheric lighting yes....but that´s it. All of the rest is "poor" implemented. Cloud resolution is a catastrophe (still having strange effects when Sun is shining at the clouds, especially Dawn and Dusk is a nightmare).

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

46 minutes ago, BerndB said:

I also told them to delete the whole Starwars MilkyWay texture......no one cares (My assumption at least). 

The night was bright like daytimes. Could see the terrain textures, clouds and Stars up to the horizon. The Milkyway was so bright, we could have seen Santa Claus coming 2 months prior leaving "Home".

So, I am glad they did reduce this! 

But I am also a bit done with the current state of TrueSky. I know it is a bit better as it was with 5.0. But, honestly, I had to wait 2 years! That is a bit long for this "progression". 

But that is JUST MY very personnel opinion (Which I won´t rectify myself for).

• Like 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Just when you thought you would stick with EA and volumetric clouds this time... they don't only keep to their snail's pace of development with regards to EA, they also take a few steps back. We'll be living on Mars by the time trueSKY is properly implemented in P3D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Hmmm I take your point about the stars. I just did a night flight from Northern Iceland to Southern Iceland. The weather was basically CAVOK. Overall I found the lighting very good. I was getting twinkling reflections of the powdered snow on the runway even a suggestion of the stars twinkling and a nice early phase moon. I did get cloud in layers as per the forecasts approaching BIRK.

Overall the balance between ground and the sky seemed good (but it is covered with snow the ground that is). Well I found that the night stars a mess and could not distinquish a single star constellation or major star (for eg the North Star, Polaris or the Ursa Major constellation big or little dipper) from the mess of little white stars and no discernable milky way at all. So if I follow what has been said the so called updated milky way is not an update at all but a reversion. Noted also the moon reflection does not align with the moon or your direction of approach! It is offset by about 15 degrees to one side all the time. 

Poor to post night shots but you get the picture:

eWsz4yw.jpg

Edited by coastaldriver

On 12/6/2021 at 1:24 PM, mpo910 said:

Marcus

So is 5.3 still using the stars.dat file and if so in which particular mode? EA or Non-EA?

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

3 hours ago, Daveo said:

So is 5.3 still using the stars.dat file and if so in which particular mode? EA or Non-EA?

Both modes now from my understanding. 

Eric 

Well I guess that begs the question is there a star.dat mod around that would be useable? There were a couple around in FSX days that were particular good for those who liked to recognise one star from another.