Sign in to follow this  
spilok

EA on or off in 5.3?

6 hours ago, Sparkrite said:

And don't forget to edit the cfg file each and every time you turn EA off/on in the sim to keep HDR off.

Wow!  I sure didn't know I had to do that.  Thanks for the follow up.  I did notice that my config had gone back to HDR ON...AFTER I changed it to OFF.  Wonder why you have to do that if it's saved?

Stan

I had to uninstall 5.3 and temporarily go back to 5.2 HF1. It looks like theres a bug with active sky, making the visibility look very bad. And also  when turning on EA the lighting looks ok for a moment of time, before the ground all looking orange (doesnt matter whether you're above water, or land).. Highly unrealistic and will hopefully be fixed in the next hotfix. There were some shadow bugs as well. 

Not sure if its just my system, since everyone else seems to be very happy with the new version. 

16 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Me too, trying to get that changed.

Cheers, Rob.

Lookin' forward to your success on that one!

On 12/13/2021 at 12:14 AM, Sparkrite said:

And don't forget to edit the cfg file each and every time you turn EA off/on in the sim to keep HDR off.

I have non hdr monitor and after manually disabling hdr in cfg I notice dry colours and reduced intensity of surface illumination by dynamic lights which looked more noticeable with hdr on, is this correct level for no hdr mode or could p3d be overcompensating assuming the hdr to be always on?

Does anyone know the average performance loss EA ON/ EA OFF (without volumetric clouds?).

I have noticed that with EA on I have much better cockpit lighting, and the exterior of the aircraft is much more realistic. However, the cons being that I have more blurries with EA on, and find shimmering white dots on my runways and taxiways. 

28 minutes ago, Ikarus280 said:

Does anyone know the average performance loss EA ON/ EA OFF (without volumetric clouds?).

I have noticed that with EA on I have much better cockpit lighting, and the exterior of the aircraft is much more realistic. However, the cons being that I have more blurries with EA on, and find shimmering white dots on my runways and taxiways. 

I was wondering what was causing that flashing white light disco on the ground at airports. It's been driving me mad since I installed P3D the other day. It was on my list of things to look into.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

I was wondering what was causing that flashing white light disco on the ground at airports. It's been driving me mad since I installed P3D the other day. It was on my list of things to look into.

I was worried that it was my GPU dying, but luckily it is a bug, being discussed here: https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140723&start=30

One guy suggested that enabling MFAA from NCP partially solves the issue, so I'll give that a try once I get home. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ikarus280 said:

I was worried that it was my GPU dying, but luckily it is a bug, being discussed here: https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140723&start=30

One guy suggested that enabling MFAA from NCP partially solves the issue, so I'll give that a try once I get home. 

Same here, it has been bugging me for months and just thought it was something to do with my setup as nobody else was mentioning it, until now!!

I've tried everything to try and get rid of it with no luck. Might give the MFAA thing a go as well - lets hope LM find the problem and include it in their next HF.

Edited by Caveney737
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ikarus280 said:

Let me know how you get on with this although it's no good as fix for me as I'm using a 6900XT. I'm still curious.

It's a real immersion breaker. Does it do it at payware airports or just default ones?

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

11 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Does it do it at payware airports or just default ones?

Pay-ware airports as well ! I even see it occasionally on ground textures when in the air.

33 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Let me know how you get on with this although it's no good as fix for me as I'm using a 6900XT. I'm still curious.

It's a real immersion breaker. Does it do it at payware airports or just default ones?

I confirm that I also see it on payware airports and even in the air (but less frequently), so it's not a textures issue.. 

I am running 4x SGSS and the AA is still very bad with shimmering at places. It's a P3D issue again, and there is a complaint thread about it at the LM forums. 8x MSAA is not even possible for me, while in other games this is more than acceptable.. The white dots are likely connected to the AA but I could be wrong. 

Just now, Ikarus280 said:

I confirm that I also see it on payware airports and even in the air (but less frequently), so it's not a textures issue.. 

I am running 4x SGSS and the AA is still very bad with shimmering at places. It's a P3D issue again, and there is a complaint thread about it at the LM forums. 8x MSAA is not even possible for me, while in other games this is more than acceptable.. The white dots are likely connected to the AA but I could be wrong. 

I'l have a little play around with it shortly and see what, if anything, changes it.

36 minutes ago, Jazz said:

One guy suggested that enabling MFAA from NCP partially solves the issue

I noticed a significant improvement using MFAA, they are still there but not nearly as noticeable!

I found a similar result when I used FXAA in the P3D menu a while ago, but I couldn't live with the blurriness it caused!

This is a keeper for me until a more permanent solution is found. I've always thought antialiasing in P3D is a bit pants!

This does indeed seem to be related to the Anti-Aliasing setting.

The problem I'm seeing actually seems far worse to what I have seen in videos or seen people talking about. I get those annoying little sparkles near me on the ground but also, further in the distance those white sparkles are actually hideous white lines flashing in the same fashion as the little dots. The problem seems to only exist if I use MSAAx4 or MSAAx8 or SSAAx4 or SSAAx8. If I use only MSAAx2 or SSAAx2 or just disable anti-aliasing entirely the problem seems to vanish.

If I only enable FXAA then it also does not happen but who can live with that smudgefest?

I tried to disable AA in the sim and overide the setting with the AMD driver but that doesn't seem to even apply an AA effect but I am new to the AMD card thing coming from Nvidia.  Changing any other graphics settings like EA and shadows had no effect. Only AA settings changes it.                                                                                                                           

So the only options for me seem to be use SSAAx2 and put up with jaggies instead of shimmering white dots and lines or use SMAAx8 and dance along to the disco. This is not a choice I particualry care for and I'm certainly not pleased about it. I did not spend what I did spend on a 6900XT to have to use SSAAx2 on P3D and that's for sure.

Edited by Jazz

This isn't really an Anti aliasing issue as it is just a material issue. The bump maps on the ground try to make a fake shadow effect when light from your aircraft reflects off of it. It's a result of the PBR runways and some airports like FSDreamTeam's LAX (despite it not being PBR) has the same issue as I believe it uses bump maps. If you notice this doesn't happen with airports that aren't PBR, however because of the recent update, the global environment map and runway textures are now PBR. The high anti aliasing is just trying to depict that detail, hence why you're seeing the sparkling on only high AA.

Edited by arwasairl
  • Upvote 1