Sign in to follow this  
Mallard

Last new A380 delivered

And I've still yet to see one, let alone fly on one. 

I'm just wondering if the A380 would have made a good military transport. Not sure what the capacity is compared with military transports. 

Edited by martin-w

35 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I'm just wondering if the A380 would have made a good military transport. Not sure what the capacity is compared with military transports. 

Don't think it would have made a great freighter from what I've read, at least when looking at converting passenger versions. The floor for the second deck limits the size of what you can load on the main deck, and there's also a good chance you would run into weight limits before filling the volume of the plane too. If you need something carry larger cargo, the 747 freighters already exist, and were designed from the start with the nose door.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/exclusive-airbus-floats-concept-for-a380-freighter-conversion

https://simpleflying.com/airbus-cargo-airbus-a380/

Edited by goates
  • Upvote 1

Seems like 5 mins ago since the first test flight.

I have managed to fly on one four times with Emirates and Qantas on a trip from London to Australia and back. Which is a hell of a flight by the way. Too long even for me. I know they will be around for a while yet but it saddens me that production has already ended.

Grim.

Edited by Jazz

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

If you can, then I'm sure you'd love it. Quiet, spacious and an engineering marvel.
Some of my best experiences as a passenger have been in upstairs in economy on a BA A380. Only beaten by economy+ or business seats on other BA A380 flights. I've been fortunate enough to travel biz seat on a number of other airliners and airlines, and they don't compare as favourably.

Sad that Airbus got too greedy and built everything around the never-to-get-off-the-drawing-board A380-900. Hamstrung the project and made it uncompetitive against twin jets when load factors weren't high. And that's even before the 787 and A350 arrived on the scene.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I have seen them over Manchester no mistaking the size of them on approach.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

55 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

no mistaking the size of them on approach.

...or the sound; they pass near my house at about 3500ft five time a week.

Dugald Walker

Actually,  I did see one. I used to live about 10 miles from EGBB and I recall seeing one.

55 minutes ago, goates said:

That link looks familiar... 🙃

Oops! Apologies brother.

I recall that was the day after I had a "B" for a certain "V" for a certain 😷 "P" 😷  that we are not allowed to talk about on the forum. Hence I was slightly buggy and not paying attention. 

I'll give you a cat point for your trouble.

X1 😺 Special award!